What's your Blur story?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
My Name Is Mud
Posts: 1172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 07:40
Location: Dublin

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by My Name Is Mud » 07 May 2015, 10:34

I was 8 years old when I heard Girls & Boys on a bootleg cassette copy of Now That's What I Call Music Volume 28. Some friends of ours down the road had an older sister (about 11 or 12 at the time) and she had Parklife and Modern Life Is Rubbish on cassette. I borrowed them, copied them, fell in love with them.

I vividly remember hearing Intermission in her house before I had borrowed Modern Life. I was absolutely mesmerised by the music in that song, especially Graham's guitar playing. I still feel that same sense of wonder when I heard it today, 21 years later. I can also remember the smug look on my friends sister's face when she saw how captivated I was on that first listen! :lol:

Also, I remember seeing Showtime on tv. It was broadcast quite a bit in 1994/1995. When I saw Graham's jumping during Lot 105, that was it for me. I wanted to play guitar, and I wanted to be that guy. He remains my favourite guitarist today, after 20 years of playing myself.

Then in 1999, I was absolutely blessed to see Blur live on the 13 tour (aged 13 8-) ) in the Point in Dublin. It was an absolute dream come true. Hearing the likes of Bugman, Battle, Chinese Bombs and Song 2 et al as a wide eyed 13 year old boy is something I'll treasure for ever. And I can't think of a better way of celebrating turning 30 this year on September 4th than going to Electric Picnic to see the greatest band in the fucking universe. :mrgreen:
Image

trimmtrabb
Posts: 30
Joined: 21 Apr 2015, 17:29
Location: glasgow, uk

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by trimmtrabb » 07 May 2015, 22:48

my first post! just felt like sharing my story. I'm only a fairly recent fan compared to a lot of people on here but anyway...

my friend was a big blur fan and I was a big oasis fan and I used to have arguments with her that noel was better than damon (don't ask why...I was just trying to be controversial I guess. I knew nothing about damon) and then around the time when damon's solo album came out he was on telly a lot so I was learning a lot more about him and growing more and more fond of him and my friend who was a big blur fan kept trying to encourage me to listen to them but I kept saying stupid stuff like "I can't betray noel and liam like that" (honestly I cringe just thinking about it)

but then one night at about midnight, after watching damon's interview on the one show and falling in love with hostiles (which is what he played on it), I decided to listen to his solo album which had been leaked. I remember feeling like I was floating through space listening to that album by myself in the pitch black. so suddenly I was really interested. I searched "blur" on youtube or something similar and beetlebum was the first thing to come up that I hadn't heard before (I knew four songs from my childhood - my dad actually used to play me death of a party and up until that night I thought it was by the smiths). so I watched the beetlebum video and I was just in shock at how good the song was and the atmosphere of the video and how good damon looked. and the friend who was a blur fan had been trying to get me to watch glasto '09 so I just thought "yeah why not" and watched it. this was at like 2am or whatever. so that night I stayed up till half 4 watching blur stuff...and that was it. that was on the 27th of april 2014, and the magic whip came out on the 27th of april 2015! nice of them to put it out on the day I fell in love with them...

also, want to apologise for my choice of username as I think there's someone on here called Trimm Trabb and I don't wanna confuse people

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Miki » 07 May 2015, 23:28

trimmtrabb wrote:my first post! just felt like sharing my story. I'm only a fairly recent fan compared to a lot of people on here but anyway...

my friend was a big blur fan and I was a big oasis fan and I used to have arguments with her that noel was better than damon (don't ask why...I was just trying to be controversial I guess. I knew nothing about damon) and then around the time when damon's solo album came out he was on telly a lot so I was learning a lot more about him and growing more and more fond of him and my friend who was a big blur fan kept trying to encourage me to listen to them but I kept saying stupid stuff like "I can't betray noel and liam like that" (honestly I cringe just thinking about it)

but then one night at about midnight, after watching damon's interview on the one show and falling in love with hostiles (which is what he played on it), I decided to listen to his solo album which had been leaked. I remember feeling like I was floating through space listening to that album by myself in the pitch black. so suddenly I was really interested. I searched "blur" on youtube or something similar and beetlebum was the first thing to come up that I hadn't heard before (I knew four songs from my childhood - my dad actually used to play me death of a party and up until that night I thought it was by the smiths). so I watched the beetlebum video and I was just in shock at how good the song was and the atmosphere of the video and how good damon looked. and the friend who was a blur fan had been trying to get me to watch glasto '09 so I just thought "yeah why not" and watched it. this was at like 2am or whatever. so that night I stayed up till half 4 watching blur stuff...and that was it. that was on the 27th of april 2014, and the magic whip came out on the 27th of april 2015! nice of them to put it out on the day I fell in love with them...

also, want to apologise for my choice of username as I think there's someone on here called Trimm Trabb and I don't wanna confuse people
Welcome to the Forum and what a lovely story! I love all these stories, but I feel a special warmth when I read about new fans that have only recently discovered Blur. Only bands whose music endures through time can achieve that! :D
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
My Name Is Mud
Posts: 1172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 07:40
Location: Dublin

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by My Name Is Mud » 07 May 2015, 23:36

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :P

Anyway, welcome to the forum trimmtrabb! And congratulations on discovering Blur, you lucky sod! ;)
Image

metalhipslop
Posts: 803
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 02:13
Location: The Great White North

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by metalhipslop » 08 May 2015, 01:12

not much of a story, i'm not a good writer but it is simple. loved gorillaz (still do, better than blur OOPS :oops: ) found out about damon albarn, amazed to find his old band does the woo hoo song, listened to their songs and liked them then loved them after listening to their albums over and over.
eh, it's always been a damon albarn love affair
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sean
Posts: 667
Joined: 23 Mar 2015, 00:24

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Sean » 08 May 2015, 15:42

Haha! I've just had a thread locked for some bizarre reason. On the face of it it may seem fluffy but I think there's an interesting discussion to be had, and it was this post that triggered it:
metalhipslop wrote:not much of a story, i'm not a good writer but it is simple. loved gorillaz (still do, better than blur OOPS :oops: ) found out about damon albarn, amazed to find his old band does the woo hoo song, listened to their songs and liked them then loved them after listening to their albums over and over.
eh, it's always been a damon albarn love affair
Some will come it from a big Damon angle, others Graham, others might've been attracted by Alex's bass playing, etc. They each make such strong and idiosyncratic contributions I think it's a worthwhile chat. :mrgreen:

Ah well.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Sean
Posts: 667
Joined: 23 Mar 2015, 00:24

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Sean » 08 May 2015, 15:46

It's like North Korea on here sometimes :lol:

kin Pyongyang :lol:

The irony. :mrgreen:
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

User avatar
My Name Is Mud
Posts: 1172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 07:40
Location: Dublin

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by My Name Is Mud » 08 May 2015, 17:43

There have been far too many polls here recently but I did think it was weird that your one was shut down so quickly! :?
Image

Colleen Zeal
Posts: 19
Joined: 08 Apr 2015, 18:12

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Colleen Zeal » 08 May 2015, 18:24

I was 15 in 1991 when I first saw the videos for There's No Other Way and She's So High on MuchMusic (Canada). They had a late-night program called City Limits that had a huge influence on my burgeoning music taste...it's where I first saw other British bands (shoegaze was big at the time), Soundgarden, Tool etc...well before any of these artists broke into the mainstream. I admit that I was intrigued by how attractive the band was but the music really swept me away too and I still love those songs and get a little swept up in the nostalgia when I hear them. I bought Leisure on cassette and listened to it over and over on my Walkman.

I had a boyfriend who was also into the British scene so we would pay good money for Select, NME, Melody Maker etc and read up on the bands, many of whom never made any headway in North America. The boyfriend tried to convince me that the Happy Mondays were better and would have a longer career (LOL) but when we found out Blur were coming to Toronto in 1993, he volunteered to get us tickets and me a fake ID while he borrowed his brother's. They were playing a club and I was a few years'' shy of legal age - a frustrating situation for a teen music fan with less mainstream tastes. I lied to my parents, changed my clothes in his car and we went. My terrible ID claiming I was from Buffalo was confiscated from me but back then, they were less strict about underagers so I got some black sharpie Xs on my hands and we went in. Damon was a drunk mess who tried to climb the speakers while security pulled him down by the back of his pants. I was thrilled though...it was loud and sexy and dangerous.

So my fandom was cemented and I stuck with the band through MLIR...North America was enraptured with grunge but I still liked the Brit stuff. Parklife hit and Boys and Girls was a hit so that was a bit weird. It was around that time that I requested to interview the band for a student publication. I was told to expect a press conference but it ended up being me, a nervous teenage girl, alone in a hotel room with Graham and Dave. I think I did ok but my audiotape was hard to decipher as Graham mumbled and my article was later butchered by my editor. I remember asking a question about MLIR bombing in North America and causing a big, awkward pause. Oops. I also shared an elevator with Damon and sat on a bed across from him and Alex, trying not to pass out.

The Britpop showdown with Oasis was weird to watch from afar because only us Britpop kids really cared on the other side of the pond, and in the end it seemed that Oasis won overall. Then Song 2 became a massive hit and it was annoying to have to call Blur the "woohoo band" but that is STILL what people remember to this day. I felt sadness seeing the Think Tank tour without Graham and thought that was probably the end. Also saw a terribly boring Gorillaz show right before then and being a little miffed that Damon seemed less interested in Blur than in that. I've since come around to his other stuff - seen an amazing Gorillaz show, enjoyed TGTBATQ and I was the one who put the snippets of his Sundance performance of his solo stuff on Youtube (I was there by chance and begged my way in).

So when the UK 2009 shows were announced, I decided to make the commitment and fly over for a bunch of the warm-ups (no interest in Hyde Park...other than festivals, Blur were a club band over here). Met up with people from the old forum for Southend and Wolverhampton, begged my way into Goldsmiths and just had a wicked time. No Distance Left to Run is a lovely testament to that time. Then 2012 came around and I did the same thing but thought that would be the last time. I still remember standing in the London train station with the new friend I was crashing with and seeing the band (except for Alex) crossing the waiting room. Turned out they were on our train, the one we had chosen randomly based on the schedule... LOL. So we upgraded to first class and got up the courage to go talk to them for a couple of minutes.

So this era has been a nice surprise...I think the new album is great and I currently have tickets for Blackpool and Wales, hoping that I'll be able to come over once again since Canada/U.S. is still, frustratingly, a question mark (I couldn't make it to NYC so I didn't even try). So besides the great music over the last 20+years, I've also met a bunch of super great people I can share this insanity with. :)

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Colleen Zeal on 08 May 2015, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1140
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Merrie Land
Contact:

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Mark72 » 08 May 2015, 18:35

Love reading this stories, one of the best threads on here!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Leahscarlet2
Posts: 624
Joined: 09 Mar 2015, 18:17

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 08 May 2015, 18:35

Colleen Zeal wrote:I was 15 in 1991 when I first saw the videos for There's No Other Way and She's So High on MuchMusic (Canada). They had a late-night program called City Limits that had a huge influence on my burgeoning music taste...it's where I first saw other British bands (shoegaze was big at the time), Soundgarden, Tool etc...well before any of these artists broke into the mainstream. I admit that I was intrigued by how attractive the band was but the music really swept me away too and I still love those songs and get a little swept up in the nostalgia when I hear them. I bought Leisure on cassette and listened to it over and over on my Walkman.

I had a boyfriend who was also into the British scene so we would pay good money for Select, NME, Melody Maker etc and read up on the bands, many of whom never made any headway in North America. The boyfriend tried to convince me that the Happy Mondays were better and would have a longer career (LOL) but when we found out Blur were coming to Toronto in 1993, he volunteered to get us tickets and me a fake ID while he borrowed his brother's. They were playing a club and I was a few years'' shy of legal age - a frustrating situation for a teen music fan with less mainstream tastes. I lied to my parents, changed my clothes in his car and we went. My terrible ID claiming I was from Buffalo was confiscated from me but back then, they were less strict about underagers so I got some black sharpie Xs on my hands and we went in. Damon was a drunk mess who tried to climb the speakers while security pulled him down by the back of his pants. I was thrilled though...it was loud and sexy and dangerous.

So my fandom was cemented and I stuck with the band through MLIR...North America was enraptured with grunge but I still liked the Brit stuff. Parklife hit and Boys and Girls was a hit so that was a bit weird. It was around that time that I requested to interview the band for a student publication. I was told to expect a press conference but it ended up being me, a nervous teenage girl, alone in a hotel room with Graham and Dave. I think I did ok but my audiotape was hard to decipher as Graham mumbled and my article was later butchered by my editor. I remember asking a question about MLIR bombing in North America and causing a big, awkward pause. Oops. I also shared an elevator with Damon and sat on a bed across from him and Alex, trying not to pass out.

The Britpop showdown with Oasis was weird to watch from afar because only us Britpop kids really cared on the other side of the pond, and in the end it seemed that Oasis won overall. Then Song 2 became a massive hit and it was annoying to have to call Blur the "woohoo band" but that is STILL what people remember to this day. I felt sadness seeing the Think Tank tour without Graham and thought that was probably the end. Also saw a terribly boring Gorillaz show right before then and being a little miffed that Damon seemed less interested in Blur than in that. I've since come around to his other stuff - seen an amazing Gorillaz show, enjoyed TGTBATQ and I was the one who put the snippets of his Sundance performance of his solo stuff on Youtube (I was there by chance and begged my way in).

So when the UK 2009 shows were announced, I decided to make the commitment and fly over for a bunch of the warm-ups (no interest in Hyde Park...other than festivals, Blur were a club band over here). Met up with people from the old forum for Southend and Wolverhampton, begged my way into Goldsmiths and just had a wicked time. No Distance Left to Run is a lovely testament to that time. Then 2012 came around and I did the same thing but thought that would be the last time. So this era has been a nice surprise...I think the new album is great and I currently have tickets for Blackpool and Wales, hoping that I'll be able to come over once again since Canada/U.S. is still, frustratingly, a question mark (I couldn't make it to NYC so I didn't even try). So besides the great music over the last 20+years, I've also met a bunch of super great people I can share this insanity with. :)

Thanks for reading!
Such a cool story!
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

JAIME
Posts: 2204
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:12
Location: Villa Alemana & Santiago, CHILE

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by JAIME » 08 May 2015, 19:28

Colleen Zeal wrote:Thanks for reading!
Thanks for sharing your great Blur story with us! :P
Image

Colleen Zeal
Posts: 19
Joined: 08 Apr 2015, 18:12

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by Colleen Zeal » 08 May 2015, 20:27

JAIME wrote:
Colleen Zeal wrote:Thanks for reading!
Thanks for sharing your great Blur story with us! :P
Thanks again! I forgot one detail about meeting them on our train in 2012 so I edited. :)

glowinginahuddle
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 May 2015, 02:04

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by glowinginahuddle » 09 May 2015, 02:37

Here in Canada, they're known mainly for "Song 2" and not much else. And I remember stopping to watch MuchMusic in 1997 when the song came on, thinking "hmmmm that boy is awfully cute" but not paying a whole lot of attention...stupid me. Backstory: I'm a longtime Beatles/Who fan. A few years ago I was listening to George Strombolopolous on his CBC radio show and he started talking about Phil Daniels, so my ears perked up (Quadrophenia!) and then played "Parklife." I immediately went to youtube, found the song, saw Damon's face...and quite sensibly fell immediately in love. I probably watched all their videos that night, wondered why the hell I hadn't properly discovered them before, and the rest is history. This new album is a dream come true (I unabashedly LOVE IT) and I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that some North American tour dates will be announced.

xdrake24
Posts: 75
Joined: 02 May 2015, 14:31

Re: What's your Blur story?

Post by xdrake24 » 09 May 2015, 03:17

Well, I am a new member here (after months of lurking) and I decided to create a account, and what better way to introduce myself than this thread? Im living the struggle of a diehard American Blur Fan, and I must conform two things. yes, I did get into blur through Gorillaz and yes, I did hear song 2 first.(I think its part of mainly growing up in the 2000s, I'm 19 now) But my story's much more interesting than that I promise!

I got into gorillaz around the end of 2007 (I revisited them should I say, I remember watching Clint Eastwood and 19/2000 on MTV in 2001 and recognizing them when demon days came out, but I really got into bands at 12) within the year I had S/T, DD, and D-sides and I fell in love. then 2009 hit and everything accelerated for blur. I went through this weird phase where I looked up top ten lists on YouTube and I always searched for lists with gorillaz on it. One of the lists I was pissed off cause Feel Good Inc got two and this song called 'Song 2' got number one. I recognized the band somehow and I dismissed it as songs my dad would listen too (not the case at all) but I looked into my sisters iTunes account for them. didn't find them, but I did look into the files from LimeWire that didn't get into iTunes yet and low and behold I found four songs which would get me stated. Girls and Boys, Parklife, Song 2 and Coffee and TV. I liked all of them and I continued to listen to them, until I found Parklife at a archive store and I had my sister get it for me. I remember I gave the whole album quite a few listens but aside from Girls and Boys and Parklife It didn't click. quite a few months later I didn't give up and I got Midlife (around the time of the reunions) and slowly but surely I got into them. I Jammed out to Advert, Chemical World, Popscene and Badhead in 8th grade and I loved the universal which is my favorite song by them (it helped me through a rough time so it'll always be a good song for me).

When all the hype died down from Plastic Beach in 2011, I got the rest of the albums (I remember I chose Modern Life over S/T which album to get next. could only get one) it took me a year to listen to them all but by then I feel in love with all the songs on midlife and I was hyped for the Olympics and Under the Westway came out. It was through Blur I got into Oasis and Radiohead, some of my other favorite bands (Pulp, suede, The verve too but not as much) but too make a long story short, when I turned 18 in 2013 my parents said I could get one gift anything I wanted and I chose Blur 21 box. Lets just say that cemented them as my favorite band, I was hyped as hell for TMW, and I'm still hoping out for North America shows so I can see my favorite band at least once. (I missed out on NYC, despite being close outside Philly) that's about it really.

Post Reply