"The Magic Whip" Ice Cream (+download of Y'All Doomed)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

davidsutter

Re: "The Magic Whip" Ice Cream (+download of Y'All Doomed)

Post by davidsutter » 17 Jul 2015, 13:52

these guys are obviously the ice cream division of sandbag

twostep

Post by twostep » 17 Jul 2015, 16:12

i've been into a few shops and nothing. i'm not that bothered but it's just one more thing with blur's name attached that seems very poorly organised
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

Vern

Post by Vern » 17 Jul 2015, 16:27

So, er, I managed to track some down in a shop in Cricklewood. And it's not even on the Licktators list. This is really shambolically organised. Nice ice cream though.

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 17 Jul 2015, 16:52

Am I the only one who feels disturbed by this whole blur ice cream stuff?
It's not 1995 anymore, I just don't get the point. For some reasons I can't imagine graham coxon going like "come on, let's make some blur ice cream and sell them in some random co-op stores in the country!"
I find it kind of awkward

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 17 Jul 2015, 17:20

Yeah, this one was probably Alex's idea.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 17 Jul 2015, 18:33

I don't think it's such a bad idea. It's a decent product in a smart packaging, and at under two quid a pot with the legit download no one's getting ripped off.

From a marketing point of view I imagine Licktators have more to gain than Blur, so I imagine it was more likely their idea. I'd never heard of them, and I've since tried a couple of their other flavours, and now I'd always buy their wares now over Ben & Jerry's / whoever. It's a good stuff.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Jul 2015, 18:51

Foggy wrote:I don't think it's such a bad idea. It's a decent product in a smart packaging, and at under two quid a pot with the legit download no one's getting ripped off.

From a marketing point of view I imagine Licktators have more to gain than Blur, so I imagine it was more likely their idea. I'd never heard of them, and I've since tried a couple of their other flavours, and now I'd always buy their wares now over Ben & Jerry's / whoever. It's a good stuff.
Absolutely this, it'll be Licklators that did all the running on this. There's next to nothing for Blur to get out of it apart from a tiny bit of extra exposure. If I was speculating I'd say it could have been that someone in the company knows / has contact details for Alex as a fellow foodie business, approached him and it went from there.

twostep

Post by twostep » 17 Jul 2015, 18:53

Simon le bon wrote:Am I the only one who feels disturbed by this whole blur ice cream stuff?
It's not 1995 anymore, I just don't get the point. For some reasons I can't imagine graham coxon going like "come on, let's make some blur ice cream and sell them in some random co-op stores in the country!"
I find it kind of awkward
disturbed? :lol: yeah, it's silly, but so what? I don't really care enough to mourn the damage done to blur's indie credentials by their branded ice cream. and graham talked about being involved in the whole tasting process and choosing a flavour in something I read so clearly he's not as cool as we thought either :o

it's pretty easy to ignore if it bothers you so much
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Jul 2015, 18:55

It's certainly easy to ignore when even those looking for it can't find it. :lol:

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » 18 Jul 2015, 12:47

Saw it, but went for the frozen pizza instead.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Jul 2015, 17:13

They're doing a frozen pizza too?! :o ;)

BernyG

Post by BernyG » 19 Jul 2015, 19:01

101reykjavik wrote:They're doing a frozen pizza too?! :o ;)
Brilliant. I tracked down the ice cream while in Burnage last week and it was tasty even though it had been in a bag for 2 hours while I ran around a bit more before coming back to my hotel in Deansgate. I found another one in London before i went home and both containers somehow made it back to LA intact! They're just sort of on a shelf now - not sure why I brought them back but I don't think it's any weirder then some of the other merchandise. Flat cap anyone?

munch

Post by munch » 22 Jul 2015, 02:18

I like it, it's just a shame the band don't seem to have much of a love for the actual icecream man track
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Aug 2015, 20:20

So the Blur social media team tweeted about the ice cream yesterday, a full 3 months after it was announced by the maker...
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 10 Aug 2015, 20:33

tom_cas1 wrote:So the Blur social media team tweeted about the ice cream yesterday, a full 3 months after it was announced by the maker...
So their tweets of 12 June and 9 July don't count then?
I'm all for having a go at them when warranted, but do your research first mate ;)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405