Think Tank at 12

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Think Tank at 12

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 23:13

This is the strangest coincidence, as I was playing Think Tank about an hour ago in its fully when it occurred to me its birthday was less than an hour away.

I find it strange how a lot of its tracks never come up in conversation here, essentially OTWTTC, Brothers and Sisters, Caravan, WGAFOY, MPRBC and maybe Jets.

Also a question: Can anyone identify what that little hidden track is between MPRBC and Sweet Song? It's a 10 second pregap with some sort of strange musical snippet in it.

tom_cas1

Re: Think Tank at 12

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 May 2015, 23:20

Criminally underrated and ridiculously called a non-Blur album by certain baboons on this forum! But really, I love Think Tank. Ambulance is the best album opener Blur have ever done and Battery In Your Leg is the best album closer. So many great songs. Sure there are a few low points (Gene By Gene mainly) but overall it's a nice album and brings back a lot of great memories.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 04 May 2015, 23:25

I don't care if Think Tank isn't Blur for some of you guys, it'll always be a special album for me. It's gloomy and moody and I just love that about it. Sweet Song and Battery In Your Leg are two of the best melancholic songs I've ever heard, while Ambulance is my favourite Blur album opener. Yes, Crazy Beat is a stinker and it kills the record's mood but I've blocked it out so it really doesn't exist for me anymore :mrgreen:

And how superb Alex's bass is on this album?

EDIT: Forgot to say that the artwork from this era is particularly brilliant and descriptive. It's up there with 13 for me in that regard.
Last edited by Lt Pinkerton on 04 May 2015, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 23:25

I was almost quite pissed over Damon's comments about it a while ago. It's got real stinkers/bollocks? Yes I know there's the overwhelming hatred for Crazy Beat, and We've Got a File on You is a bit silly (very enjoyable imo), but to me at least it seems he's believing in the non-existent consensus again (after TGE). Oh well, people are their own biggest critics..

Think Tank was my first proper Blur album that wasn't a compilation (already owning The Best of) or one of my dad's CDs I'd play a lot (Parklife). I remember buying it in 2005 when I was 8 and liking about half of it and the other half not so much, but I've loved almost the entire thing for many, many years now.
Last edited by AdvertBreak on 05 May 2015, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 04 May 2015, 23:26

I don't call it a "non blur album", yet I find it hard to really consider it as a Blur album. Hmm, guess it doesn't make much sense, huh?

That doesn't prevent me from loving it. There are songs I come back to very often (Battery in your leg and Sweet song, which are among my favourite Blur songs, Good song, caravan, out of time, ambulance).
Last edited by Legless Owl on 05 May 2015, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 23:29

Lt Pinkerton wrote: And how superb Alex's bass is on this album?
Even though Graham's absence is missed, it actually really highlights the bass, which of course was quite often the hook maker in many of their older tracks. Ambulance carries my my third favourite Alex bassline after Entertain Me and Girls & Boys.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 04 May 2015, 23:32

AdvertBreak wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote: And how superb Alex's bass is on this album?
Even though Graham's absence is missed, it actually really highlights the bass, which of course was quite often the hook maker in many of their older tracks. Ambulance carries my my third favourite Alex bassline after Entertain Me and Girls & Boys.
Yep, as if he was filling a void generated by Graham's absence. He's absolutely all over the place on this thing, just fantastic.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 May 2015, 23:33

Alex is superb on Jets. Now THAT is an underrated song. It seems in the past people have hated it because it contains a sax. Bullshit. The sax is great too. GREAT SONG!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 23:38

Jets is fantastic and I never understood the hatred for the saxophone. To me it's like saying Radiohead's National Anthem sounds wrong with the brass section.

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 04 May 2015, 23:41

I love Think Tank. I think Damon was at his peak around then as a songwriter - he was throwing off gorgeous songs like Out of Time and Ambulance left and right. And you can definitely look back now and see how that quality bled into Demon Days. As much as I've enjoyed the Magic Whip, I'm not sure he can write like that anymore.

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 05 May 2015, 00:21

tom_cas1 wrote:Criminally underrated and ridiculously called a non-Blur album by certain baboons on this forum! But really, I love Think Tank. Ambulance is the best album opener Blur have ever done and Battery In Your Leg is the best album closer. So many great songs. Sure there are a few low points (Gene By Gene mainly) but overall it's a nice album and brings back a lot of great memories.
This!! Yes!

I love TT and Ambulance is one of my fav openers, and battery... oh boy the other day I was listening to it while on the bus, I got pretty emotional, it's so freaking sad... so lovely but unbelievable sad, and it isn't just for the sake of it... I mean they could have decided not to include any song with Graham, yet they did... this specific song, the howl of a hurt beast, we're really hurt that you're not here :cry:

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 05 May 2015, 02:36

i didnt listen to the album for a long time
othe rthan the live broadcast of the astoria set
never downloaded it

because i was definately a graham fanboy more than a damon fanboy
and remembe rthis was 2003, i had the strokes, the white stripes, ikara colt, and well a million other records i was rocking to

i still dont think id bothered listening to the album come Leeds Festival, but still cared enough to see them
that was the moment my heart was stolen, such a beautiful warm set

some one traded me a copy of the album for a bootleg
and i loved it!

now i may not play crazy beat or brothers and sisters, i never liked the latter but crazy beat was fun in its own way, just not really as part of this album. i love gene by gene, a really great clash knock off

the album has some amazing basslines (the lack of graham really allowed alex to shine), and some of damons best vocals and lyrics.

we got a file on you is every bit as good as bank holiday, globe alone, bluremi etc

but with out of time, good song, sweet song, battery in your leg, damon was on fire (not to mention he had released the majestic sunset coming on only the year before)

as people have said, best album opening and best album finale in the blur arsenal
when its at its best it is blurs best album, just unfortunate that it slips on a few occasions

8/10 for me
and it upsets me greatly that it has been somewhat disowned since grahams return to the fold

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 05 May 2015, 03:25

TT definitely has some wonderful songs - Ambulance, Out of Time, Sweet Song, Battery in Your Leg - and some cool b-sides / rarities - Morricone, Me White Noise, The Outsider. However, there are definitely songs with cool melodies that would really be more interesting with the Graham influence, no doubt.

Try imagining Girls and Boys without Graham's slashing guitars cutting across the song. It's not that it isn't Blur, but it isn't as exciting or interesting. I enjoy the album, but for example, the guitars on the "rockier/punkier" songs are not as compelling as a typical Graham part (think Bank Holiday / Chinese Bombs vs. We've Got a File / Crazy Beat). Caravan also would benefit from a Graham part and effects.

Out of Time and Battery are definitely two of the best Blur songs, no doubt, and the guitar on Battery is as brilliant as anything Graham has ever done. Is it a Blur album? No doubt. Is it a great listen? Definitely. Is it the best Blur album? Not a chance.

Just my two cents though.

munch

Post by munch » 05 May 2015, 04:28

tom_cas1 wrote:Criminally underrated and ridiculously called a non-Blur album by certain baboons on this forum!.
And Damon :lol:

Out of Time
Caravan
On the way to the club
Brothers and Sisters
Sweet Song
Good Song.
Moroccan Peoples Revolutionary Bowls Club
Even Gene by Gene.
Ambulance

I Actually love every track on this album............................... Obviously crazy beat does not really need a mention because it is so brilliant.

Great album
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

munch

Post by munch » 05 May 2015, 04:33

dunkaroo02 wrote:I love Think Tank. I think Damon was at his peak around then as a songwriter - he was throwing off gorgeous songs like Out of Time and Ambulance left and right. And you can definitely look back now and see how that quality bled into Demon Days. As much as I've enjoyed the Magic Whip, I'm not sure he can write like that anymore.
I was thinking that and I definitely think Graham has helped a bit of that come back out of Damon.

Though Lonely Press Play is still magnificent
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man