underrated

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: underrated

Post by Rubi » 01 May 2015, 16:54

I also agree about Dancehall. My favorite b-side from the Blur era.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 01 May 2015, 18:33

I'm not sure I understand the Dancehall appeal. Its freaky as hell

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 01 May 2015, 20:55

MOR- probably the most under-rated, doesn't get much praise but I think it is a great song! I don't like the single version though, much prefer the album version!
Mr Robinson's quango
Optigan 1
Bang (Don't get all the slating.)

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 04 May 2015, 04:47

I took a look to the "Worst of" thread, and I think that these 6 songs are underrated in this forum:

Come Together
Birthday
Resigned
Ernold Same
Entertain Me
Gene by Gene

leequoiz

Post by leequoiz » 04 May 2015, 08:34

I'm new here so I don't know what many people's opinions are on the songs, up until now I've only been in the fandom on tumblr, which isn't a great site for proper discussion. But most of the songs mentioned here are some of my favourites! I love every bit of Leisure, all of TGE except Country House, adore Music Is My Radar, On Your Own (my father even says it's his fav Blur song) and the rest of the Blur album. Actually I seem to really like every Blur song except a couple I hate (Country House and Tender. I'm sorry. It drags too long. Whenever I listen to 13 I start straight from Bugman, and I consider that my favourite Blur album! Shh)

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 04 May 2015, 11:39

leequoiz wrote:I'm new here so I don't know what many people's opinions are on the songs, up until now I've only been in the fandom on tumblr, which isn't a great site for proper discussion. But most of the songs mentioned here are some of my favourites! I love every bit of Leisure, all of TGE except Country House, adore Music Is My Radar, On Your Own (my father even says it's his fav Blur song) and the rest of the Blur album. Actually I seem to really like every Blur song except a couple I hate (Country House and Tender. I'm sorry. It drags too long. Whenever I listen to 13 I start straight from Bugman, and I consider that my favourite Blur album! Shh)
Well, hating Tender is indeed an unpopular opinion, and you'll see TGE hardly ever gets the love it deserves, but Blur has such diverse songs that even between fans it's always hard to agree. That makes it all more fun ;) Welcome aboard!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 04 May 2015, 16:25

leequoiz wrote:I'm new here so I don't know what many people's opinions are on the songs, up until now I've only been in the fandom on tumblr, which isn't a great site for proper discussion. But most of the songs mentioned here are some of my favourites! I love every bit of Leisure, all of TGE except Country House, adore Music Is My Radar, On Your Own (my father even says it's his fav Blur song) and the rest of the Blur album. Actually I seem to really like every Blur song except a couple I hate (Country House and Tender. I'm sorry. It drags too long. Whenever I listen to 13 I start straight from Bugman, and I consider that my favourite Blur album! Shh)
"Tender" is actually really good. It just REALLY drags on.

My ideal "Tender" would be a hybrid between the album version and the Cornelius remix (underrated as hell).

"Beachcoma" is also underrated, I think. No one ever talks about it.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 04 May 2015, 16:40

Bang, Good Song, So You, BLUREMI (despite Donald Duck), Resigned, Starshaped, Music is My Radar (I really love this song), Black Book...

leequoiz

Post by leequoiz » 04 May 2015, 23:22

Like yeah Tender is a good song, and I do like it live, just really dislike how long the album version is (I have the same issue with the Visit to Primrose Hill version of For Tomorrow, I wish they put the album version on Midlife). Would adore it if it were half as long. Anyway... Entertain Me was mentioned a few times in the Worst thread, and I really don't understand why. It's one of my favourite songs from TGE. One of my favourite songs in general. Music Is My Radar gets stuck in my head more than any other Blur song, it's just really great.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 05 May 2015, 02:39

Miki wrote:I always loved Bang and never understood why the band doesn't rate it. Even the video is cool.
i love bang, my favourite early blur video by a long way
and i think because the band publicly slated the song, the fans do too, same thing happened with turn it up (which would have been a fine song on leisure)

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 05 May 2015, 03:09

Underrated...I tried to identify songs that are not hated per se, but are not as appreciated. This list is probably too long.

B-Sides (some of the best songs by Blur)
All We Want
Polished Stone
Get Out of Cities
St Louis
Inertia
Into Another
I'm Fine
Mixed Up
Theme From an Imaginary Film
Ultranol

Album Tracks
Movin' On
Yuko & Hiro
Magic America
Villa Rosie
Colin Zeal
Slow Down (or at least the middle part)

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 05 May 2015, 03:21

elasticaman wrote:
Miki wrote:I always loved Bang and never understood why the band doesn't rate it. Even the video is cool.
i love bang, my favourite early blur video by a long way
and i think because the band publicly slated the song, the fans do too, same thing happened with turn it up (which would have been a fine song on leisure)
i remember a interview that Damon called Bang the worst song he ever wrote...in my opinion is much better than She's So High

munch

Post by munch » 05 May 2015, 10:21

I'm not sure what makes something underrated. Because there is always someone talking about one track and how special it is to them. Even the obscure ones.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 05 May 2015, 10:25

He's written way worse than Bang, I think he just associates that song with getting chewed out by Balfe.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 05 May 2015, 10:34

Forever Low Man wrote:"Tender" is actually really good. It just REALLY drags on.
I've always been a bit too afraid to talk about my feelings for Tender around here, but this pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

Also in terms of underrated - Think Tank. All of it. That is such a great album. It doesn't get the love it needs.

Caravan was the first song I think I ever really fell in love with. That feeling of loss and then the chorus of "I try to quit/But my heart won't buy it/I got family/The caravan comes back for me" gets me EVERY BLOODY TIME because it's hope and longing and I could probably write several very poorly worded but lengthy essays about how much I love Caravan...

Also, Ambulance! Ambulance every time.

Think Tank in all it's mighty live perfection at the Bataclan in 2003 just does it for me so much.