Blur in NYC: Q104.3 Radio Session, 3rd May - 9pm ET

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sarah

Re: Blur in NYC: Q104.3 Radio Session, 3rd May - 9pm ET

Post by Sarah » 04 May 2015, 01:30

There's podcasts of other performances on the website. Maybe in the future?

tender

Post by tender » 04 May 2015, 01:36

Levitz wrote:
tender wrote:
Levitz wrote:How weird, was watching some old interviews with them waiting for this and wondering if anyone had ever mentioned the whistling, and there we go.... Tracey Thorn
I had never noticed until I read the observer article

Always noticed it, but always found it quite endearing really. I was just about to google it to see if it had ever come up before waiting for the show. Not seen the article, will have a look

What happened to the live session?

Here's the article Damon talked about in the interview
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/a ... lbert-hall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 04 May 2015, 01:52

Damon's sibilance has never bothered me and I have only ever noticed it while he speaks, I've never really noticed while he's singing...

I had a boyfriend that used to stammer a bit and I never really had pointed it to him, asked him about it, I just waited until he could say whatever it was he wanted to say, of course it wasn't a severe case... but I really never gave it any thought until someone who was angry at him, said to me "he can't even speak right! stammering piece of shit" I was shocked at the venomous tone and to the fact that it hadn't ocurred to me until then that, yes indeed he used to stammer :lol: maybe I was not only blind but deaf because of love

daii

Post by daii » 04 May 2015, 02:03

maybe for people that speak english is a bit annoying/ funny, but for me (and my friends) damon's whistling is incredible sexi

leequoiz

Post by leequoiz » 04 May 2015, 02:32

Some people seem to lose their "speech issues" when they sing. I'm pretty certain, if I remember correctly, Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance) has a bit of a lisp when he talks, but you can't hear it when he sings. I've also only noticed Damon's whistle when he's older, I don't hear it in 90s interviews.

Sometimes when you're friends with someone you just don't notice those things/get used to them and forget. I've got a fairly obvious lisp (I even pick up on it myself, I just don't know how to make that ss sound) but my friends seem to forget about it completely until I mention it, then there's ten minutes of "haw haw haw say slippery snake slithering through sand" "thlippery thnake thlithering through thand" "haw haw haw" "fuck you athholeth"

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 04 May 2015, 08:27

leequoiz wrote:Some people seem to lose their "speech issues" when they sing. I'm pretty certain, if I remember correctly, Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance) has a bit of a lisp when he talks, but you can't hear it when he sings. I've also only noticed Damon's whistle when he's older, I don't hear it in 90s interviews.

Sometimes when you're friends with someone you just don't notice those things/get used to them and forget. I've got a fairly obvious lisp (I even pick up on it myself, I just don't know how to make that ss sound) but my friends seem to forget about it completely until I mention it, then there's ten minutes of "haw haw haw say slippery snake slithering through sand" "thlippery thnake thlithering through thand" "haw haw haw" "fuck you athholeth"
Hahha I can sympathise with the end of that. I can make the "ss" sound but I've really got to make a point of it so when I talk normally I have a very slight lisp but you can't hear it in my speech, you've got to be looking at my mouth to realise
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 04 May 2015, 08:28

Also, this sibilance thing in his voice.. I don't understand? I've not noticed anything and don't really know what people mean when he speaks

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 04 May 2015, 08:30

Sarah wrote:Uh that was it? OK. I recorded it and will forward to Tom. Damon's belching preserved for history...
Can you post the link on here too please?

ricj

Post by ricj » 04 May 2015, 10:09

One thing I now find impossible to ignore is how much Damon punctuates his sentences with "you know" in interviews. Once noticed it can never be unnoticed..

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 May 2015, 10:58

Leahscarlet2 wrote:
Sarah wrote:Uh that was it? OK. I recorded it and will forward to Tom. Damon's belching preserved for history...
Sarah recorded it and I'll upload it. I've been out all morning so it'll be up this afternoon, I'll post the link as soon as its up!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Levitz

Post by Levitz » 04 May 2015, 13:19

Leahscarlet2 wrote:Also, this sibilance thing in his voice.. I don't understand? I've not noticed anything and don't really know what people mean when he speaks

It's just a bit of a whistle, I think mainly when he pronounces an 's', as I said, I think it's endearing. He mentioned it (apologised for it) on the radio show, imagine the mike's made him more conscious of it for some reason and then he talks about reading the interview with Tracey Thorn while having a coffee and a croissant and being taken unawares. Was just weird as I was gonna google if anyone had mentioned it before while I was waiting for the show to start.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 04 May 2015, 13:19

tom_cas1 wrote:
Leahscarlet2 wrote:
Sarah recorded it and I'll upload it. I've been out all morning so it'll be up this afternoon, I'll post the link as soon as its up!
Looking forward to this.

pigster

Post by pigster » 04 May 2015, 14:03

wow. photos of the band in studio recording an acoustic set but no sign of when the set will be product? would love to hear the new tracks stripped back !!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 May 2015, 15:07

DOWNLOAD: https://mega.co.nz/#F!UxByjAqS!yh40mP2D0DM2i5DNjzAudg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 04 May 2015, 17:03

tom_cas1 wrote:DOWNLOAD: https://mega.co.nz/#F!UxByjAqS!yh40mP2D0DM2i5DNjzAudg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you kindly, sir. :mrgreen: