Rate The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

What is your rating of The Magic Whip?

1%
No votes
No votes
3%
1%
3%
7%
39%
37%
8%

Total votes: 71

tom_cas1

Re: Rate The Magic Whip

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 May 2015, 22:17

Who was the mug that voted 4/10?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

SeverHense

Post by SeverHense » 04 May 2015, 22:19

Westway probably

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 04 May 2015, 22:52

tom_cas1 wrote:Who was the mug that voted 4/10?
I assumed that was you, Tom. :P

zoozilla

Post by zoozilla » 07 May 2015, 21:50

I voted 8.

I don't know if there's a "user review" thread somewhere, so I'll just post this here - my track-by-track review.

Lonesome Street - Awesome. I love pretty much everything about this song. The "June, June" part seemed strange to me when I listened to it for the first time, but now it feels like an essential part of the song. And the woo-woos at the end? Perfection.

New World Towers - This song has grown on me. My favorite part is the pastoral bit in the middle, and Graham's descending guitar line is great. I think the mix on the first verse seems a little cluttered, like the backing vocals shouldn't be so loud. I've gotten used to it, though.

Go Out - This is another that's grown on me. It's got a real unique groove to it. I love when the guitar kicks in on the chorus, almost wish it was even louder.

Ice Cream Man - Really like it. Synth at the beginning reminds me of Monkey. Don't know what to say - just a solid tune.

Thought I Was a Spaceman - I love the chords and the mood of it all, though I do think there's maybe one too many verses before the "you again" part. The climax at the end with Graham's guitar is so good, I wish it went on and turned into an all-out guitar freakout.

I Broadcast - A great Blur rocker, though I think I've liked the live versions a little more. This is one of those "Blur is back!" moments for me.

My Terracotta Heart - Graham's guitar is great here, but I think I might actually like New World Towers more after a few listens.

There Are Too Many Of Us - My thoughts on this song are similar to my thoughts on Spaceman - I wish it turned into a feedback freakout at the end! In general I think there could've been a larger climax, 'cuz the whole song sounds like a build-up to something. Really dig Graham's solo and the keyboard bit in the middle.

Ghost Ship - I'm really surprised that I like this as much as I do. It's so....smooth. Graham's clean guitar work here and on other songs on the album make me want to hear that jazz record he's always wanted to make. If I had any complaints, it's that there's not enough guitar on the chorus, and as such it sounds a little...sparse? The horns at the end help it out. I really love this song, though. Might actually be one of my favorites, simply because it's so unexpected.

Pyongyang - This is a good one. The verses remind me of latter-day Pink Floyd, and that chorus... great. I wish it went straight into Mirrorball, I think the two complement each other so well.

Ong Ong - I wasn't sold on this song based on early live versions, but it's won me over. The way it keeps building and building on that simple melody just works.

Mirrorball - I really love this song, with one niggle - I wish it didn't end so abruptly. Even a few stray notes on the piano or some fiddling on the guitar would suffice. The whole Enrico Morricone feel is great, I love that it's so sad... just another few seconds of strings at the end would've been great!

Overall, though, I think the album's really strong. Only time will tell how it slots in with the rest of Blur's discography, but for now it's a comfortable fit.

munch

Post by munch » 09 May 2015, 02:54

I keep forgetting I broadcast is on there :O :geek: must fix this now :arrow:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Westway

Post by Westway » 02 Jun 2015, 21:06

i keep seeing people accusing me of voting on this dumb poll, i didnt vote but if i did then id prolly give 5 or 6

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Jun 2015, 21:46

Westway wrote:i keep seeing people accusing me of voting on this dumb poll, i didnt vote but if i did then id prolly give 5 or 6
So that means two fools voted "4". Ridiculous!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 02 Jun 2015, 21:52

Blasphemy.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 03 Jun 2015, 13:22

tom_cas1 wrote:
Westway wrote:i keep seeing people accusing me of voting on this dumb poll, i didnt vote but if i did then id prolly give 5 or 6
So that means two complete bastards voted "4". Ridiculous!
Fixed.