Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon, 30 Apr 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

beatfloh

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by beatfloh » 01 May 2015, 21:58

MrMagpie wrote:
dunkaroo02 wrote:
Rubi wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Damon was a bit nervous? You could hear it in his voice and see it in his face, at least in the beginning.
yes! His voice was definitely a little shaky and I thought it was weird he never looked straight ahead towards the camera. America does strange things to that man...
Only in Blur, apparently...he's like a different person when performing with Gorillaz or solo over here...very strange.
He was very nervous in Colchester 2009 and last year at the bbc6 gig. In Manchester he was really happy to see familiar faces at the front where he knew he would get some attention and response

Ohh and Gorillaz at Glasto, even Wayne the background singer forgot how to smile

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 01 May 2015, 22:54

dunkaroo02 wrote:
Rubi wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Damon was a bit nervous? You could hear it in his voice and see it in his face, at least in the beginning.
yes! His voice was definitely a little shaky and I thought it was weird he never looked straight ahead towards the camera. America does strange things to that man...
...and when he sang Lonely Press Play on Fallon last year he ONLY looked at one camera the whole song.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Miki

Post by Miki » 01 May 2015, 23:33

elasticaman wrote:available here
https://mega.co.nz/#F!AMFzmJQb!gIbj8wPVxXvl12MpmnHQug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just to be clear & pedantic its only 14 and a half years (not the over 15 years jimmy claimed) since blur were on Conan Obrien as a 4 piece playing Music Is My Radar & Song 2
Thank you, sir!
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 May 2015, 04:41

Don't care what people say, MODE was the best performance of Ong Ong and every song on the album. That show will forever have a special place in my heart.

Oh and yes, Ong Ong is great. Wonderful choice. Remember that 3 months ago we thought Blur were dead. Be happy with any song they play. People shouldn't be picky. Appreciate it while you can.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

afrock817

Post by afrock817 » 02 May 2015, 05:00

OK so did any of you get the chance to see the ENDING of Fallon...where Damon put his guitar between his legs and air humped Jimmy from behind?? What was THAT?? :lol:

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 02 May 2015, 08:53

afrock817 wrote:OK so did any of you get the chance to see the ENDING of Fallon...where Damon put his guitar between his legs and air humped Jimmy from behind?? What was THAT?? :lol:
There's 2 avatars of that on the previous page of this thread. :lol:

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 02 May 2015, 09:24

tom_cas1 wrote:Don't care what people say, MODE was the best performance of Ong Ong and every song on the album. That show will forever have a special place in my heart.

Oh and yes, Ong Ong is great. Wonderful choice. Remember that 3 months ago we thought Blur were dead. Be happy with any song they play. People shouldn't be picky. Appreciate it while you can.
Of course. That is called being in the moment, being at a concert isn't like watching a film. Even if you share a video/audio whatever to somebody of the concert you were at, it is not going to affect the person as it would you. No matter what people say they are lying
I wasn't at the MODE show but I bet it was amazing for people that were there, but for me the album is better than the full live show that was streamed on youtube or what you recorded
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Jason

Post by Jason » 02 May 2015, 18:15

I had forgotten about it but the tv was left on in the other room and I heard it come on. It was almost strange watching them on live tv, but it was a pleasure seeing them.

And I wasn't paying close enough attention to Damon in particular to notice it, but it is cute how he gets nervous on american tv. He has no reason to be but he does. :)

About the song choice I wonder if they thought with the goofy nature of Jimmy Fallon's if it would be a better fit. Or maybe whatever hangups Damon has about american tv also causes him to have a misperception about what american musical taste is. Maybe they think what americans want is dumb simple and catchy and they thought Ong Ong was closest to that. I think the problem though is that with the large volume of people who will see the show, the point isn't really to make everyone happy, it's to make people who are already sympathetic towards what you made aware of it. It's the same as with politics. Their goal isn't to say things that the opposite party likes, because those people will never vote for them no matter what they say. Their goal is to get people who are already predisposed to liking them to get them excited and aware enough to go out and vote/buy the record. I don't think Ong Ong is the song that reveals to listeners that they are in fact big fans of blur. It'd definitely be a great question to ask the band because it's not an obvious selection and they must have had specific reasons for picking it.

But I don't have any expectations about their sales either here or the UK, and *I* enjoyed it, so I'm happy. :)

Another thing to note, and I don't know if it's true in this case, but a lot of the time when bands play those late night shows they do a song or two that's broadcast, but they also perform a short set in addition to that for the audience afterwards.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 May 2015, 22:03

Listening back to the performance of Ong Ong in my iTunes. Sounds fantastic, the fans in the US were treated well!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 03 May 2015, 00:19

so there's this thread on reddit looking talking about songs of the summer http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... list_2015/ - Ong Ong is one of the highest rated answers. Actual quote (not me, I swear): "I caught their performance of this song on The Tonight Show on Thursday. It was great. Been singing it in my head ever since." So it seems like Ong Ong was a good choice! :)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 May 2015, 00:28

dunkaroo02 wrote:so there's this thread on reddit looking talking about songs of the summer http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... list_2015/ - Ong Ong is one of the highest rated answers. Actual quote (not me, I swear): "I caught their performance of this song on The Tonight Show on Thursday. It was great. Been singing it in my head ever since." So it seems like Ong Ong was a good choice! :)
Nice catch! Good to hear

SeverHense

Post by SeverHense » 03 May 2015, 00:43

dunkaroo02 wrote:so there's this thread on reddit looking talking about songs of the summer http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... list_2015/ - Ong Ong is one of the highest rated answers. Actual quote (not me, I swear): "I caught their performance of this song on The Tonight Show on Thursday. It was great. Been singing it in my head ever since." So it seems like Ong Ong was a good choice! :)

Excellent!

Nice profile picture, by the way. Trellick Tower, right?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 03 May 2015, 09:25

SeverHense wrote:

Excellent!

Nice profile picture, by the way. Trellick Tower, right?
Maybe it really will be a summer single?

sara-m-a

Blur performs Tender backstage with Jimmy Fallon

Post by sara-m-a » 04 May 2015, 20:23

Blur performs Tender backstage with Jimmy Fallon

http://pitchfork.com/news/59490-blur-pe ... my-fallon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ildi

Post by ildi » 04 May 2015, 20:29

im crying its so cool