The Magic f*cking Whip!

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

My Name Is Mud

Re: The Magic f*cking Whip!

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 18:20

Yep, listened to it on audio 5 or 6 times too, but that was in the day or 2 following the stream. Haven't listened to it at all since then aside from I Broadcast a few times.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Apr 2015, 18:21

My Name Is Mud wrote:Yep, listened to it on audio 5 or 6 times too, but that was in the day or 2 following the stream. Haven't listened to it at all since then aside from I Broadcast a few times.
Really? Wow, you're really holding out. I hope you love it! :mrgreen:

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 18:27

Rubi wrote:
My Name Is Mud wrote:Yep, listened to it on audio 5 or 6 times too, but that was in the day or 2 following the stream. Haven't listened to it at all since then aside from I Broadcast a few times.
Really? Wow, you're really holding out. I hope you love it! :mrgreen:
So do I! I'm sure I will though. It'll be grand. :mrgreen:

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 23 Apr 2015, 20:07

I never tire of hearing this album or the praise it is getting on the forum, I actually think this album is perfect, cannot fault any of the songs to be honest. I was one of the doubters on the official forum the past 2 or 3 years after them constantly dodging making another album and putting any project before a true Blur comeback and 3 good/ok songs that are not even a patch on the ones off TMW. I do hope we get new material in the future but if this is it after the tour then what a way to end.

Favourite 3 songs at the moment, Ghost Ship, Ice Cream Man and Pyongyang but they are all great for different reasons.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 23 Apr 2015, 21:52

Rubi wrote:I just had to make a thread about this, sorry.

How fucking good is this album? I have to be honest, even though I really, really liked the album at first listen, I wasn't entirely sold on the production and a few other elements. The MODE gig and live performances kept squirming in my head all the time. I had formed certain expectations about how these songs were going to sound, and the fact that many of them are so different on the record put me sightly off initially.
I really hope I find the same as you because Thought i was a spaceman and Pyongyong are nowhere near as good on the album as they are live for me yet, I was really disappointed when I heard how subdued Graham's guitars were on these two songs as they were the two I was looking forward to the most.

I have only listened to the album twice, but those two have gutted me a bit because they are both clearly beautiful songs but I worry the production has had a negative impact on them. I'm hoping we don't hacd another The good the bad the queen on our hands in terms of production!

I will need to listen more though.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Apr 2015, 22:40

Daysleeper wrote:I really hope I find the same as you because Thought i was a spaceman and Pyongyong are nowhere near as good on the album as they are live for me yet, I was really disappointed when I heard how subdued Graham's guitars were on these two songs as they were the two I was looking forward to the most.

I have only listened to the album twice, but those two have gutted me a bit because they are both clearly beautiful songs but I worry the production has had a negative impact on them. I'm hoping we don't hacd another The good the bad the queen on our hands in terms of production!

I will need to listen more though.
I also think Pyongyang is stronger live, but I find Spaceman to work much better on the album. I love the production, and I don't mind that Graham's guitars aren't as prominent.

Westway

Post by Westway » 23 Apr 2015, 23:21

Rubi wrote:My favorite song is and will remain My Terracotta Heart, which I firmly put in my top ten Blur songs. Not just melody and Damon's exquisite vocals
he cant even hit the notes

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 24 Apr 2015, 06:11

Do me a favour and hit yourself. In the face. With a shovel.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Apr 2015, 06:12

My Name Is Mud wrote:Do me a favour and hit yourself. In the face. With a shovel.
:lol: :lol:

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 24 Apr 2015, 06:36

8-)

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 24 Apr 2015, 10:06

Loved the read, Rubi!

So far I find myself enjoying more the opinions, thoughts and feels of fans here in this forum, than "official" reviews. Maybe we are not detached or factual enough, but we have a history with the band and for each of us they represent something different (one only has to see how we differ when choosing favourites), but still something very meaningful. It's been great to see all the excitement around these days and how every one of you is absorbing the album :)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 14:19

Indeed. Bless Veikko and his forum! :)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Apr 2015, 02:00

Rubi wrote:Indeed. Bless Veikko and his forum! :)
Veikko deserves endless amounts of praise. I'm confident that Blur has the BEST fans!

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 25 Apr 2015, 05:24

remove Spaceman, Ong Ong and MTH and honestly its a great little album.

with the double vinyl every side other than side A will have a song i really dislike
will have to burn a cd without those tracks

munch

Post by munch » 26 Apr 2015, 12:39

elasticaman wrote:remove Spaceman, Ong Ong and MTH and honestly its a great little album.

with the double vinyl every side other than side A will have a song i really dislike
will have to burn a cd without those tracks
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man