The Magic f*cking Whip!

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

The Magic f*cking Whip!

Post by Rubi » 23 Apr 2015, 09:36

I just had to make a thread about this, sorry.

How fucking good is this album? I have to be honest, even though I really, really liked the album at first listen, I wasn't entirely sold on the production and a few other elements. The MODE gig and live performances kept squirming in my head all the time. I had formed certain expectations about how these songs were going to sound, and the fact that many of them are so different on the record put me sightly off initially.

New World Towers, Thought I Was a Spaceman and Pyongyang in particular didn't impress me at first. And I am still of the opinion that Pyongyang is stronger live. But now, after having listened to the album endlessly for the last three days and gotten used to the studio versions of all the songs, I am madly and deeply in love with it.

It's perfect. Not a single weak tune, the sheer variety of the songs, the melodies, lyrics, production, everything is fantastic. I just can't get enough of it. And for some reason, I'm liking even more the first three released tracks, especially Lonesome Street, which I find a glorious album opener. They all fit so well within the context of the album.

Thought I Was a Spaceman is probably the song that's grown the most on me. It's easily one of Blur's finest tunes, and one of the major highlights of the album. The moment when the drums kick in, and then the second part of the song with all the synths and electronic distortions are just grandiose.

My favorite song is and will remain My Terracotta Heart, which I firmly put in my top ten Blur songs. Not just melody and Damon's exquisite vocals, but the lyrics are absolutely magnificent. I've never gotten so emotional with a song before. I really loved the performance on Jools, but the studio version is so, so much better and powerful.

I could go on forever and praise this album to no end, but I'll just stop cos I don't wanna bore you. Again, I apologize for making a thread about this, but the excitement is too great that I just had to. :P

TripleJay97

Re: The Magic f*cking Whip!

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Apr 2015, 09:38

It's better than I thought it could possibly be. :D

Interestingly, Spaceman was one of the songs I liked on the first listen, but Ice Cream man was a grower. The opposite way around to most of you guys.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Apr 2015, 09:41

Ice Cream Man sounds like a Gorillaz/TGE amalgamation for me. It's such a nice chill-out track.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 23 Apr 2015, 10:16

Rubi wrote: And I am still of the opinion that Pyongyang is stronger live.
I was disappointed with Pyongyang at first listen. I was expecting some grand sweeping over-production and it sounded so understated.

Now, after 3 or 4 listens I'd not want it changed.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

munch

Post by munch » 23 Apr 2015, 10:59

Rubi wrote:My favorite song is and will remain My Terracotta Heart, which I firmly put in my top ten Blur songs. Not just melody and Damon's exquisite vocals, but the lyrics are absolutely magnificent. I've never gotten so emotional with a song before. I really loved the performance on Jools, but the studio version is so, so much better and powerful.
I cried
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Apr 2015, 12:11

It's a fabulous album. I approve of all this fulsome praise - the record deserves it.

All the tracks are great, as you say, no weak filler. And all the tracks bring something different to the whole - they don't overlap stylistically much at all within the Blur 'palette'. And some, like Ghost Ship in particular but also Spaceman, TATMOU and Mirrorball, broaden that palette to include interesting new sounds.

The trio of Spaceman, Pyongyang and Mirrorball (and to an extent TATMOU) feels like the complex heart of this album. A brooding, downbeat spine running through the record. But surrounding it are the most fantastic life-affirming pop songs which just make your heart beat faster or put a huge smile on your face. Lomesome Street is as gloriously enjoyable as the first time I heard it. Ice Cream Man and Ong Ong are both so much fun in their own ways. And then we have the driving fuzz of Go Out, I Broadcast just make you feel so pumped up. And finally the more obviously poignant or personal stuff like My Terracotta Heart and New World Towers add a depth of genuine emotion and intimacy to the affair.

No, there is really very little to quibble about with this record. It's more than I could ever have hoped for.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 23 Apr 2015, 12:42

i love it so much guys
i kinda want to get that ice cream cone as a tattoo even

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Apr 2015, 12:46

davidsutter wrote:i love it so much guys
i kinda want to get that ice cream cone as a tattoo even
There's an idea!

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 13:03

Looking forward to my first listen tomorrow even more now. :)

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 23 Apr 2015, 13:12

I've listened only once to the Mode gig. I've listened through the day on BBC6 on monday and some times to the first 3 songs relased.
I'm hodling myself because I want to buy it on monday and put it on every cd reader I have, and listen to it continuosly.
But from what I've heard since now, I'm already, completely, in love with TMW.
And I can't wait to see them live in Paris, since it's also my first Blur's gig. I'm so happy that I'm almost crying.
Ghost ship it's my favourite (just heard it on BBC6, goosebumps...), but I love a lot also the other tracks. For me, it's for sure record of the year.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Apr 2015, 16:41

My Name Is Mud wrote:Looking forward to my first listen tomorrow even more now. :)
I'm even looking forward to your first listen. After all this time it will be great to see your reaction!

You'd better like it after all this! :D

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 23 Apr 2015, 16:54

Rubi wrote:I just had to make a thread about this, sorry.

How fucking good is this album? I have to be honest, even though I really, really liked the album at first listen, I wasn't entirely sold on the production and a few other elements. The MODE gig and live performances kept squirming in my head all the time. I had formed certain expectations about how these songs were going to sound, and the fact that many of them are so different on the record put me sightly off initially.

New World Towers, Thought I Was a Spaceman and Pyongyang in particular didn't impress me at first. And I am still of the opinion that Pyongyang is stronger live. But now, after having listened to the album endlessly for the last three days and gotten used to the studio versions of all the songs, I am madly and deeply in love with it.

It's perfect. Not a single weak tune, the sheer variety of the songs, the melodies, lyrics, production, everything is fantastic. I just can't get enough of it. And for some reason, I'm liking even more the first three released tracks, especially Lonesome Street, which I find a glorious album opener. They all fit so well within the context of the album.

Thought I Was a Spaceman is probably the song that's grown the most on me. It's easily one of Blur's finest tunes, and one of the major highlights of the album. The moment when the drums kick in, and then the second part of the song with all the synths and electronic distortions are just grandiose.

My favorite song is and will remain My Terracotta Heart, which I firmly put in my top ten Blur songs. Not just melody and Damon's exquisite vocals, but the lyrics are absolutely magnificent. I've never gotten so emotional with a song before. I really loved the performance on Jools, but the studio version is so, so much better and powerful.

I could go on forever and praise this album to no end, but I'll just stop cos I don't wanna bore you. Again, I apologize for making a thread about this, but the excitement is too great that I just had to. :P
I couldn't agree more, great f*cking post! Oh wait, yes i could agree more :lol: The highlight for me is Thought I Was A Spaceman and i ranked it immediately on the top 5 of all times. It's not just the sounds, lyrics, etc, it's the feelings you get from the music and every single instrument employed. I'm loving the live version a tad more because of the energy and the vibe, also because it sounds a bit more raw and emotional. I couldn't be happier right now, the past few weeks have been unique in my Blur world :cry:

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 23 Apr 2015, 17:20

My Name Is Mud wrote:Looking forward to my first listen tomorrow even more now. :)
Oh, come on!!!! Just have a listen already, will ya? Stop torturing yourself!! It's hurting me also :lol:

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 18:10

101reykjavik wrote:
I'm even looking forward to your first listen. After all this time it will be great to see your reaction!

You'd better like it after all this! :D
Ha ha well I have faith that they've done it again! Loved Go Out, thought Too Many was even better and Lonesome Street is one of the best fucking things they've ever done, so I'm hopeful for the rest! :)
themanwholefthimself wrote: Oh, come on!!!! Just have a listen already, will ya? Stop torturing yourself!! It's hurting me also :lol:
I'm holding on For Tomorrow, sorry. :P

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Apr 2015, 18:17

Mud, did you watch the MODE stream?