Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

which album do you prefer?

TMW
69%
TGE
31%

Total votes: 45

Daysleeper

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Daysleeper » 23 Apr 2015, 06:33

I'm a big fan of Under the Westway and The Puritan too.

I'm liking The Magic Whip but do wish Graham's guitars were more prominent!

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 06:50

zoozilla wrote:Listening to TGE again to prepare for TMW's physical release, I had a sort of epiphany:

Crazy Beat is not Blur's worst song. No.

Dan Abnormal is much, much worse. Everything about it - the LA LA LA LAAA's, the annoying pinging percussion, the stupid Yellow Submarine "all together now" before the chorus, the cringe-worthy lyrics... I mean, come on. "Dan Abnormal / Not normal at all" ? "He'll imitate you, try to ape you" ? Christ.

It's most definitely the most obnoxious song Blur's ever done - and I know that on some level, it's supposed to be tacky and annoying, but it's simply no fun to listen to.

I get that Damon was very pleased with himself for coming up with the anagram, but maybe he didn't have to write a song around it.

That's all. I haven't heard TMW in its entirety yet, so I have no opinion on it.
Bollocks. Dan Abnormal is an amazing song. Once of the best from The Great Escape*.

*In my opinion anyway. And yes, I'm deadly serious.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Apr 2015, 06:53

Dan Abnormal is a good song! The only thing I can't abide is "meanie leanie", what the hell? :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Apr 2015, 07:07

UnderThePuritan wrote:
Noke wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:I really quite despise the hate of The Puritan. IMO (which I'm having the decency to point out), its not a Damon outcast, it doesn't really sound anything like his other projects. I can understand why people compare it to Plastic Beach-era Gorillaz but I find it unmistakably Blur with its la la las and speedy pace.

Under the Westway, on the other hand, I find to be a bit, um, not quite as interesting, probably because of the fairly unoriginal piano motif (not the same but not too unlike this. Not that that motif is bad at all, its a damn fine and memorable melody, but I suppose at the time I wanted more from it. Then I got more from Blur at least with The Puritan.)
I quite rate it too, and the only people I've ever spoken with about it have held the same view. It's sort of from the same school as 'I Broadcast'; a quick, electronic punk-pop cut. And, of the two songs, 'The Puritan' probably edges it for me. There's a lot going on there, it's as hectic a song as I've ever heard, and I never really understood the criticism, though I accept that there must be something I'm missing. Well, I thought 'Fuzzy Logic' was the album The Beatles never made back in 1996, so it shows how wrong I can be.
I love The Puritan! It's an absolute mental track. The dynamics are huge with Graham's bursts of guitar. I sort of wish they let him off the leash as much on this new record as he was on that track.
The Puritan is indeed unfairly criticised on here. It's got so much energy. And whilst both it and UTW were clearly aiming for very different results, that's not something you could ever accuse UTW of possessing. It's a pretty tune, but it doesn't feel like Blur were doing anything interesting or new with that song - for pushing things a bit. Surely that's why we love the band? They've continued that innovation on some of the tracks on TMW (I'm thinking Spaceman, Ghost Ship, Mirrorball). It's a triumph to present this after 16 years away as a four piece.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 07:47

TripleJay97 wrote:Dan Abnormal is a great song! Especially the "meanie leanie" part, what the hell? :lol:
Fixed.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 07:51

101reykjavik wrote:The Puritan is indeed unfairly criticised on here. It's got so much energy. And whilst both it and UTW were clearly aiming for very different results, that's not something you could ever accuse UTW of possessing. It's a pretty tune, but it doesn't feel like Blur were doing anything interesting or new with that song - for pushing things a bit. Surely that's why we love the band? They've continued that innovation on some of the tracks on TMW (I'm thinking Spaceman, Ghost Ship, Mirrorball). It's a triumph to present this after 16 years away as a four piece.
Westway (the song, not the douchebag user on here) never did much for me. I'm just sort of indifferent towards it. I always loved The Puritan though. :)

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 23 Apr 2015, 12:29

tough one...went with the great escape on the strength of THE UNIVERSAL
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Apr 2015, 14:38

Fools Day >>>>> Under The Westway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Puritan.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 23 Apr 2015, 20:49

One big reason I like both is the variety of musical styles. But TGE constantly delivers song after song for me.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Apr 2015, 20:51

It's a shame The Puritan wasn't expanded on in the new material...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Apr 2015, 20:52

Sledge Hammer wrote:It's a shame The Puritan wasn't expanded on in the new material...
Yeah into a skip you klutz!

Sean

Post by Sean » 23 Apr 2015, 21:37

For what it's worth I thought The Puritan was absolutely shit! Really shit. In fact I couldn't believe how shit it was. But UTW is properly lovely.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Westway

Post by Westway » 23 Apr 2015, 23:28

tge is super under rated by blur fans, its got the best narrative out of every damon album

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Apr 2015, 00:09

Can't believe anyone would think TGE or TMW would be the two worst albums. TGE is a victim of its own time, it has some really great songs and Damon is on top form with his writing, although it is little overkill with the character driven songs, but how could you slate an album that has The Universal, HTOC, Charmless Man, Best Days, MRQ etc on, although it has some stinkers on it too. For me TMW has only great songs and can be compared to any Blur album but at the same time different and fresh.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 24 Apr 2015, 11:38

The Great Escape is unfairly maligned coming as it did at the height of the "Britpop Wars" and being the album right before Blur changed their direction radically. But actually, and has been widely acknowledged, it contains some of the band's very best songs: Best Days, The Universal, He Thought of Cars, Yuko & Hiro are among their finest, most accomplished, most affecting work and have also aged remarkably well. The album itself sounds brash and claustrophobic and twisted but I think it does brilliantly well in painting a dark, dystopian world. I have heard about the influence London Fields by Martin Amis had on the creation of Parklife, but I think it's just as apparent here, if not more so, with a bit of Clockwork Orange thrown in.

And to the Magic Whip. Where the comparison is most valid between these two excellent albums is the neon tinged urban melancholia that pervades both albums. Ice Cream Man, Thought I was a Spaceman, There Are Too Many of Us, Pyongyang inhibit the same universe as He Thought of Cars, The Universal, Best Days, Yuko & Hiro. In fact, this is something that goes right through Blur from Blue Jeans to Coffee and TV. It's a part of what makes Blur Blur.

But seriously, what were the band thinking what that Great Escape album cover?