Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

which album do you prefer?

TMW
31
69%
TGE
14
31%
 
Total votes: 45

Sean
Posts: 667
Joined: 23 Mar 2015, 00:24

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Sean » 22 Apr 2015, 22:32

peterstillman wrote:Except it is just pop music and it's fun to argue about pop music, I spent most of my twenties in pubs arguing about pop music.

Oh and I love The Great Escape.
That's also fair. I was about 17-18 when the Blur/Oasis stuff was really kicking off and me and my Blur mates got into endless stand-offs with boorish Oasis lads. Haha. It was fun and I do like a good argument about pop.

I just think there's ways to go about it. I mean, opinions are one thing but the guitar playing in Go Out just isn't "clumsy". It's a fact. And you suspect Westway knows all this anyway.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

User avatar
JordanPowers
Posts: 165
Joined: 05 Oct 2014, 01:30
Location: Columbus, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by JordanPowers » 22 Apr 2015, 22:34

I'm gonna have to go with The Magic Whip, since it's probably one of their best albums that they've ever made. Even if I thought it was shit, at least I would be able to say that there are some real standouts for this album. I can't imagine hating or even feeling indifferent to songs like Ghost Ship and Ice Cream Man.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section
You should be off the Blur forum

Jensen
Posts: 500
Joined: 21 Feb 2015, 22:18

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Jensen » 22 Apr 2015, 23:14

TripleJay97 wrote:
Jensen wrote:I find it really sad that TGE has to be bashed everytime it's brought into a discussion. It's getting old now :x :x
Me too. I love The Great Escape, it's a great album. I feel as if people hate it simply because of the time period it was associated with.
You must have a point with that, because I honestly don't understand why it gets so much hate.

I was glad to see this thread, because I had felt the TMW/TGE connection and I wanted to see if someone else felt the same... Only to find THIS :|
Image

elasticaman
Posts: 574
Joined: 09 Jun 2012, 10:42

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 23:45

peterstillman wrote:Except it is just pop music and it's fun to argue about pop music, I spent most of my twenties in pubs arguing about pop music.

Oh and I love The Great Escape.

in it for the bants

elasticaman
Posts: 574
Joined: 09 Jun 2012, 10:42

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 23:47

JordanPowers wrote:Iprobably one of their best albums that they've ever made.
certainly in the top 10 :p

Noke
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 Mar 2015, 12:45

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Noke » 22 Apr 2015, 23:47

peterstillman wrote:Except it is just pop music and it's fun to argue about pop music, I spent most of my twenties in pubs arguing about pop music.

Oh and I love The Great Escape.
Of course, but the argument doesn't have to be 'is this shit or is it amazing?' I mean, you can have arguments about the substance of the lyrics, the influences, the relevance of a record like The Magic Whip in the context of modern music, the extent to which the band's sound has progressed and whether or not the band can continue to be important in the future. This is an argument at the most unsophisticated level imaginable. You can have great arguments about books or politics too, but they don't tend to begin with someone assuredly declaring that 'democracy is shit' or 'Shakespeare was a useless c***.'

elasticaman
Posts: 574
Joined: 09 Jun 2012, 10:42

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 23:59

ok then
my terracotta heart has some of the clumisiest most awkward lyrics ive ever heard, words that dont fit the beats (not the only song on the album that forces words in where they dont fit either), a delivery like damon is trying out for nancy in oliver twist. one of the very worst songs ever on a blur album

ong ong is the kind of crap that the beautiful south started churning out when they began struggling ( im reminded of don't marry her) big stupid populist singalong nonsense, sad to think that this is gonna the big festival song from the album, because its so trite and throwaway and reeks of insincerity.

90% of the things they try on this album are things they've tried before, and with far better results

a few years ago most people derided westway/puritan
and whilst puritan is indead a terrible song on all counts, one of damons leftover scraps that he charitably bestowed upon blur, westway is actually better than most things on this album.... and i dont even rate westway very highly

i would love blur to make a fucking amazing record that catches me off guard and excites me... but this isnt it
not to worry there will be a whole bunch of other band releasing records every week for the rest of time
ill just find the excitement elsewhere.... Wavves & Cloud Nothings releasing an album together you say....

User avatar
zoozilla
Posts: 109
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 22:35
Location: Japan

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by zoozilla » 23 Apr 2015, 00:00

Listening to TGE again to prepare for TMW's physical release, I had a sort of epiphany:

Crazy Beat is not Blur's worst song. No.

Dan Abnormal is much, much worse. Everything about it - the LA LA LA LAAA's, the annoying pinging percussion, the stupid Yellow Submarine "all together now" before the chorus, the cringe-worthy lyrics... I mean, come on. "Dan Abnormal / Not normal at all" ? "He'll imitate you, try to ape you" ? Christ.

It's most definitely the most obnoxious song Blur's ever done - and I know that on some level, it's supposed to be tacky and annoying, but it's simply no fun to listen to.

I get that Damon was very pleased with himself for coming up with the anagram, but maybe he didn't have to write a song around it.

That's all. I haven't heard TMW in its entirety yet, so I have no opinion on it.

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5588
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Apr 2015, 00:08

I really quite despise the hate of The Puritan. IMO (which I'm having the decency to point out), its not a Damon outcast, it doesn't really sound anything like his other projects. I can understand why people compare it to Plastic Beach-era Gorillaz but I find it unmistakably Blur with its la la las and speedy pace.

Under the Westway, on the other hand, I find to be a bit, um, not quite as interesting, probably because of the fairly unoriginal piano motif (not the same but not too unlike this. Not that that motif is bad at all, its a damn fine and memorable melody, but I suppose at the time I wanted more from it. Then I got more from Blur at least with The Puritan.)

Noke
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 Mar 2015, 12:45

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Noke » 23 Apr 2015, 00:29

elasticaman wrote:ok then
my terracotta heart has some of the clumisiest most awkward lyrics ive ever heard, words that dont fit the beats (not the only song on the album that forces words in where they dont fit either), a delivery like damon is trying out for nancy in oliver twist. one of the very worst songs ever on a blur album

ong ong is the kind of crap that the beautiful south started churning out when they began struggling ( im reminded of don't marry her) big stupid populist singalong nonsense, sad to think that this is gonna the big festival song from the album, because its so trite and throwaway and reeks of insincerity.

90% of the things they try on this album are things they've tried before, and with far better results

a few years ago most people derided westway/puritan
and whilst puritan is indead a terrible song on all counts, one of damons leftover scraps that he charitably bestowed upon blur, westway is actually better than most things on this album.... and i dont even rate westway very highly

i would love blur to make a fucking amazing record that catches me off guard and excites me... but this isnt it
not to worry there will be a whole bunch of other band releasing records every week for the rest of time
ill just find the excitement elsewhere.... Wavves & Cloud Nothings releasing an album together you say....
Well you're obviously quite angry about it, so maybe it would be best to seek those disarming triumphs you so crave elsewhere.

Quite apart from that, most of the rest of your message is nonsense. 90% of the things The Beatles tried on Abbey Road had been tried before, or that Bob Dylan tried on 'Blood on the Tracks', or Bowie on 'Scary Monsters', there's no reason why that should count against them. Plus I can't easily compare 'There Are Too Many of Us', 'Ghost Ship' or 'Mirrorball' to anything Blur have done previously, even though as a band they've covered far more musical ground than pretty much any other band of the past 30 years, so that's pretty good going I'd say. And those three songs already account for a lot more than your 10%.

But 'words that dont fit the beats' for 'My Terracotta Heart' - come on. Whether they do or not is one debate, but who decided that they need to? When Graham Coxon says that his appreciation of sonics might be a little more advanced than that of other, are we seriously willing to argue with that? Okay, you can like a song, dislike a song, call it formulaic or the lyrics daft, but surely we have to accept that Blur are conscious of when something is or isn't in time, and capable of deciding whether they want it to be in time. When you watch a Premier League footballer it'd be fair enough to criticise him for missing an open goal, but you couldn't credibly criticise him for not knowing that the goal even existed.

And why do you need to be caught 'off guard' in order to be excited by a new Blur album? The fact that you need to be suggests that you're expecting them to produce rubbish. And that might explain your problem.

Noke
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 Mar 2015, 12:45

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Noke » 23 Apr 2015, 00:36

AdvertBreak wrote:I really quite despise the hate of The Puritan. IMO (which I'm having the decency to point out), its not a Damon outcast, it doesn't really sound anything like his other projects. I can understand why people compare it to Plastic Beach-era Gorillaz but I find it unmistakably Blur with its la la las and speedy pace.

Under the Westway, on the other hand, I find to be a bit, um, not quite as interesting, probably because of the fairly unoriginal piano motif (not the same but not too unlike this. Not that that motif is bad at all, its a damn fine and memorable melody, but I suppose at the time I wanted more from it. Then I got more from Blur at least with The Puritan.)
I quite rate it too, and the only people I've ever spoken with about it have held the same view. It's sort of from the same school as 'I Broadcast'; a quick, electronic punk-pop cut. And, of the two songs, 'The Puritan' probably edges it for me. There's a lot going on there, it's as hectic a song as I've ever heard, and I never really understood the criticism, though I accept that there must be something I'm missing. Well, I thought 'Fuzzy Logic' was the album The Beatles never made back in 1996, so it shows how wrong I can be.

UnderThePuritan
Posts: 162
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 10:31

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by UnderThePuritan » 23 Apr 2015, 05:05

Noke wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:I really quite despise the hate of The Puritan. IMO (which I'm having the decency to point out), its not a Damon outcast, it doesn't really sound anything like his other projects. I can understand why people compare it to Plastic Beach-era Gorillaz but I find it unmistakably Blur with its la la las and speedy pace.

Under the Westway, on the other hand, I find to be a bit, um, not quite as interesting, probably because of the fairly unoriginal piano motif (not the same but not too unlike this. Not that that motif is bad at all, its a damn fine and memorable melody, but I suppose at the time I wanted more from it. Then I got more from Blur at least with The Puritan.)
I quite rate it too, and the only people I've ever spoken with about it have held the same view. It's sort of from the same school as 'I Broadcast'; a quick, electronic punk-pop cut. And, of the two songs, 'The Puritan' probably edges it for me. There's a lot going on there, it's as hectic a song as I've ever heard, and I never really understood the criticism, though I accept that there must be something I'm missing. Well, I thought 'Fuzzy Logic' was the album The Beatles never made back in 1996, so it shows how wrong I can be.
I love The Puritan! It's an absolute mental track. The dynamics are huge with Graham's bursts of guitar. I sort of wish they let him off the leash as much on this new record as he was on that track.
Image

Jensen
Posts: 500
Joined: 21 Feb 2015, 22:18

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Jensen » 23 Apr 2015, 05:18

At least this hateful thread is serving for The Puritan to get some love :_)
Image

bushmonkey
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Apr 2015, 15:37

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by bushmonkey » 23 Apr 2015, 05:27

I always considered Westway to be a Damon track and Puritan to be a Graham track. I consider them both to be Blur tracks. Love them both by the way!
On the slow boat to Lantau through misty seas...

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7047
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Apr 2015, 05:34

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Puritan :D
Image

Post Reply