Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

which album do you prefer?

TMW
69%
TGE
31%

Total votes: 45

elasticaman

Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 18:31

since they're the 2 worst Blur albums (dont lie to yourself)
which do you prefer and why

i could see arguments for both
where magic whip is consistently mediocre, the great escape swings from some of the lowest lows to some of the highest highs

Sean

Re: Magic Whip vs The Great Escape

Post by Sean » 22 Apr 2015, 18:35

:lol:
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 22 Apr 2015, 18:49

it's actually a pretty interesting comparison, I get a lot of Great Escape vibes listening to Magic Whip. Yuko and Hiro and He Thought of Cars could easily slot in on the new album.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Apr 2015, 18:56

Threads like this are proof that hard drugs should never be legalised.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 22 Apr 2015, 19:07

elasticaman wrote:since they're the 2 worst Blur albums (dont lie to yourself)

where magic whip is consistently mediocre, the great escape swings from some of the lowest lows to some of the highest highs
I don't believe you...you're a liar! Gonna play em fucking loud!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Apr 2015, 19:08

For fuck's sake :roll: :lol:

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 22 Apr 2015, 19:32

elasticaman, don't jump into troll territory now. :roll:

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 20:59

whaaaa!!!! you know its true.... once the buzz dies down and the songs arent so shiny and new you will see
in what universe does TMW come close to matching 13 or S/T etc???

id say u could make a reasonable 9 track album out of the 2 of them
and the 9 track great escape would easily be the better album

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 22 Apr 2015, 21:23

elasticaman wrote:whaaaa!!!! you know its true.... once the buzz dies down and the songs arent so shiny and new you will see
in what universe does TMW come close to matching 13 or S/T etc???

id say u could make a reasonable 9 track album out of the 2 of them
and the 9 track great escape would easily be the better album
Open your eyes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad album and the rest of us shouldn't like it either. You do this very often. You don't like something, and you call it shit and other names without actually realizing that taste in music is subjective, and your opinion is not absolute. The fact that the vast majority on this forum thinks the album is great, and that thus far it has gained universal acclaim from all critics should tell you something in that regard.

You don't like it, that's perfectly fine. But don't try to impose your opinion on others, because you lose all sorts of credibility and end up looking like a troll.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 22 Apr 2015, 21:28

dunkaroo02 wrote:it's actually a pretty interesting comparison, I get a lot of Great Escape vibes listening to Magic Whip. Yuko and Hiro and He Thought of Cars could easily slot in on the new album.
I agree with this comment, also I could fit some songs from the Magic Whip in TGE (Ice Cream Man, Lonesome Street, I Broadcast, Pyongyang or even Ghost Ship).

I find it really sad that TGE has to be bashed everytime it's brought into a discussion. It's getting old now :x :x

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Apr 2015, 21:31

Jensen wrote:I find it really sad that TGE has to be bashed everytime it's brought into a discussion. It's getting old now :x :x
Me too. I love The Great Escape, it's a great album. I feel as if people hate it simply because of the time period it was associated with.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 22 Apr 2015, 21:35

elasticaman wrote:since they're the 2 worst Blur albums (dont lie to yourself)

I agree with that last comment that TGE has some spectacular highs, and some pretty low lows, and TMW is certainly more consistent. I just think it's consistently great!

Noke

Post by Noke » 22 Apr 2015, 21:51

Well, the dust hasn't settled, has it? The album hasn't been released yet and nobody has had more than a few days to become familiar with it. So this applies every bit as much to your largely negative viewpoint as it does to the euphoric responses from many other Blur fans.

It's one of eight albums, two of which (Think Tank / Leisure) have been largely disowned by the band, and - if the general critical consensus, and my own personal reactions are anything to go by - the new record sits very comfortably among the other five. And, when you consider that those five albums, The Great Escape included, represent some of the finest music ever to come from England, that's quite an accolade.

So I don't get the question unless you just, arbitrarily, want people to compare The Magic Whip with The Great Escape. Okay then: it's more consistent, the sound is largely distinct, it might lack a hit of 'The Universal' proportions (time will tell) but it's not short on quality and it's a worthy addition to the back-catalogue.

I'm unsure why some people are keen to provoke a reaction from a group of people who, for the most part, hold a starkly opposing opinion. It's like the guy who turns up at the reception, has a few and abruptly declares that it's destined to end in divorce. Some people get a kick out of that, and if they do then it's best not to honour them with a considered response. Me, I'm happy when my football team wins, my mate gets married, or a great band brings out a solid new album.

Sean

Post by Sean » 22 Apr 2015, 22:08

Spot on man, great post.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 22 Apr 2015, 22:24

Except it is just pop music and it's fun to argue about pop music, I spent most of my twenties in pubs arguing about pop music.

Oh and I love The Great Escape.