THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sean

Re: THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Post by Sean » 24 Apr 2015, 14:33

There is *some* wrong. As I keep saying, the guitar playing isn't clumsy. That's a fact. He's either a bit thick and doesn't know what clumsy means - in which case, bless him - or he's trolling.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 14:41

Sean wrote:There is *some* wrong. As I keep saying, the guitar playing isn't clumsy. That's a fact. He's either a bit thick and doesn't know what clumsy means - in which case, bless him - or he's trolling.
I think you are being a little pedantic and taking something too literally, its meant in a descriptive sense surely.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 14:44

peterstillman wrote:I dont agree with his review, but he makes some valid points. Its all opinion, art is subjective, there is no right or wrong. It makes for quite a funny read if you aren't too precious about it. I don't see why that results in being called a troll.
Nah, that doesn't apply in Westway's case. Firstly, I don't know how familiar you are with him, but he's a certified troll on these forums. And secondly, I am a partisan of the "taste is subjective" concept and I try to respect opinions as much as possible, but some of the stuff he spews there is simply outrageous. Which has probably got to do with the first point, i.e. trolling.

Rudolf

Post by Rudolf » 24 Apr 2015, 14:46

The Magic Whip: 6.75 or 7/10.

Plastic Beach and Eveyday Robots are better than it...

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 24 Apr 2015, 14:58

Rudolf wrote: Plastic Beach and Eveyday Robots are better than it...
Funniest post I've ever read on this foru!

Rudolf

Post by Rudolf » 24 Apr 2015, 15:01

Pasta wrote:
Thanks, funniest and true.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 24 Apr 2015, 15:08

peterstillman wrote:
Good for you. I stopped reading after Go Out. Clumsy guitars? Boring song structure? There's criticism, and then there's plain ridiculousness. Plus I cannot take seriously someone who gives 4, 0 and 1/10 to tracks like Spaceman, I Broadcast and MTH.[/quote]

I dont agree with his review, but he makes some valid points. Its all opinion, art is subjective, there is no right or wrong. It makes for quite a funny read if you aren't too precious about it. I don't see why that results in being called a troll.[/quote]

That may be true but, let's face it, there are varying degrees of plausibility when it comes to these things. For example, I might personally dislike Visions of Johanna by Bob Dylan (I don't by the way) but if I went onto dismiss it as being boring song with crap lyrics that is sung terribly and goes on way too long would I really be convincing anyone? Would I really be bringing anything to the discussion other than my own personal dislike for that song? And then to call it a "definitive" review, as if my very personal reaction to the song was the beginning and end word as far as the artistic merit of that song is concerned - well that's just silly, isn't it?

If you are going to set yourself out there against the consensus, you're going to have to work harder to have your opinion taken seriously. Making sweeping and provocative statements is not a constructive way to go about it.

On the other hand it's OK to dislike a song but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad song, it could just mean you don't like it. This happens to all of us all of the time, I'm sure.

britpopunionblur

Post by britpopunionblur » 24 Apr 2015, 15:10

I love new Blur album a lot and our my favorite band but I will agree Plastic Beach is better (different kind of music though). Everyday Robots for me is not even close. This has a few of those Everyday Robots style songs and do it better here to me. Plus the only reason I think Plastic Beach is better is because I think it's Damon masterpiece with Parklife and 13. Each done there style to 10/10 perfection. Parklife - perfect Britpop album, 13 - perfect experimental rock album , Plastic beach - perfect electronic album
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

britpopunionblur

Post by britpopunionblur » 24 Apr 2015, 15:13

I'm not even a big Gorillaz fan only reason I saw them live is because of Plastic Beach. Never really got into Demon Days. Loved the concept but as far as songs it never got me (stand out Feels Good Inc, El Manana, Dare, Last living Souls).Demon Day allways felt like great concept without the songs. Self titled Gorillaz is just fun and seems like a guy messing around (not to serious). I also dig The Fall :).
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 15:25

Styopa wrote: If you are going to set yourself out there against the consensus, you're going to have to work harder to have your opinion taken seriously. Making sweeping and provocative statements is not a constructive way to go about it.

On the other hand it's OK to dislike a song but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad song, it could just mean you don't like it. This happens to all of us all of the time, I'm sure.
Calling it definitive was clearly a JOKE! I don't think he's called anyone else wrong or said you can't disagree.

Can you honestly read through the positive comments and tell me they are any more valid and incisive??? I don't agree with your point about Dylan, I think its a perfectly valid (if simplistic) opinion that I would disagree with. I wouldn't jump up and down and call you a troll.

Miki

Post by Miki » 24 Apr 2015, 16:00

Gotta love Forums. It's the same shit on all of them :lol:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Apr 2015, 16:10

tom_cas1 wrote:This thread is getting closer to being locked.
Should have happened the second it appeared, imo.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 24 Apr 2015, 16:11

Rudolf wrote:
Pasta wrote:
Thanks, funniest and true.
It's really not true, I try to listen to all opinions on here but I don't think anyone could genuinely think that

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 16:20

TripleJay97 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:This thread is getting closer to being locked.
Should have happened the second it appeared, imo.
If people have opinions you disagree with, you challenge them, get into a dialogue.

You don't shut them down or name call, surely?

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 24 Apr 2015, 16:24

peterstillman wrote:
Styopa wrote: If you are going to set yourself out there against the consensus, you're going to have to work harder to have your opinion taken seriously. Making sweeping and provocative statements is not a constructive way to go about it.

Calling it definitive was clearly a JOKE! I don't think he's called anyone else wrong or said you can't disagree.

Can you honestly read through the positive comments and tell me they are any more valid and incisive??? I don't agree with your point about Dylan, I think its a perfectly valid (if simplistic) opinion that I would disagree with. I wouldn't jump up and down and call you a troll.
I agree people shouldn't jump down his throat about it. But perhaps that's what he wants? Perhaps that's why he started a whole new thread when most people have been content giving their views in the many threads that are already set up covering this topic. To paraphrase Wilde, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.