THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

elasticaman

Re: THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 23:44

Forever Low Man wrote:No, this is the definitive review, right here:

It's not a bad album, but some parts are better than others. A lot of it drags on. If you love Blur, you'll love this. If not, this isn't going to change that. 6.5/10
thats about right yeah, its not gonna win any new fans

Noke

Post by Noke » 23 Apr 2015, 00:03

elasticaman wrote:

It's not a bad album, but some parts are better than others. A lot of it drags on. If you love Blur, you'll love this. If not, this isn't going to change that. 6.5/10
Really? Surely the fact that one of the most important bands of the past few decades are releasing a new album, and a decent one, over a decade after their last album pretty much guarantees they'll make themselves plenty of new fans. I teach in Spain and a kid of 15 told me two weeks ago that he was getting into Blur, and he liked their new song ('Go Out'). Of course they'll make new fans.

And, as for the album's sound and its ability to reach out to fans of other genres, if you like Bobby Womack or Curtis Mayfield and have never previously been bothered about Blur (quite possible) then you may find yourself falling for 'Ghost Ship', or if you're into your Pink Floyd but never cared much for Blur then you might find something in 'Pyongyang' that you've never heard in their previous stuff. Similar things could be said of 'Thought I Was a Spaceman', 'There Are Too Many of Us', 'Mirrorball'. A mate sent me a message the other day, not a Blur fan at all, and said 'I like that 'There Are Too Many of Us', sounds like a better version of 'Stellify' by Ian Brown', so you never know, do you?

But how many bands reach out to different genres more than two or three times in their whole careers? Blur do it two or three times on each album. This is why music fans, and young music fans, continue to be fascinated by them, and I suspect it's the reason why plenty of music fans will be fascinated by 'The Magic Whip' too. I see no reason why people getting into music with the same fervour that the rest of us got into music should suddenly hit a brick wall when they come to this album.

Miki

Post by Miki » 23 Apr 2015, 00:06

Like it? Enjoy it!

Don't like it? Chuck it in the bin.

That's the definitive review 8-)
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 23 Apr 2015, 00:08

Miki wrote:Like it? Enjoy it!

Don't like it? Chuck it in the bin.

That's the definitive review 8-)
of every piece of music /art /food whatever EVER!

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 23 Apr 2015, 00:27

Noke wrote:
Really? Surely the fact that one of the most important bands of the past few decades are releasing a new album, and a decent one, over a decade after their last album pretty much guarantees they'll make themselves plenty of new fans. I teach in Spain and a kid of 15 told me two weeks ago that he was getting into Blur, and he liked their new song ('Go Out'). Of course they'll make new fans.

And, as for the album's sound and its ability to reach out to fans of other genres, if you like Bobby Womack or Curtis Mayfield and have never previously been bothered about Blur (quite possible) then you may find yourself falling for 'Ghost Ship', or if you're into your Pink Floyd but never cared much for Blur then you might find something in 'Pyongyang' that you've never heard in their previous stuff. Similar things could be said of 'Thought I Was a Spaceman', 'There Are Too Many of Us', 'Mirrorball'. A mate sent me a message the other day, not a Blur fan at all, and said 'I like that 'There Are Too Many of Us', sounds like a better version of 'Stellify' by Ian Brown', so you never know, do you?

But how many bands reach out to different genres more than two or three times in their whole careers? Blur do it two or three times on each album. This is why music fans, and young music fans, continue to be fascinated by them, and I suspect it's the reason why plenty of music fans will be fascinated by 'The Magic Whip' too. I see no reason why people getting into music with the same fervour that the rest of us got into music should suddenly hit a brick wall when they come to this album.
This comment <3

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Apr 2015, 05:10

elasticaman wrote:

That's funny. My constant blaring of TMW is getting my friends into Blur.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Apr 2015, 05:45

My Name Is Mud wrote:Spot on. Not once have I thought "Good God, elasticaman is an awful dickhead." Not even when he said the Strokes are better than Blur. :P
But virtually everything Westway says is overly negative, clearly to provoke a reaction. He's a bellend.
I kind of regret making that statement, though, cos elasticaman has been trying his hardest to better Westway in the trolling department in the last couple of days. He doesn't like the album and is clearly angry that everyone else does, which is kinda sad.

WillRobson186

Post by WillRobson186 » 23 Apr 2015, 06:07

Indiana wrote:And let's not forget the infamous tweedz-gate... he ended up in the troll bin for a while for... ermmm... being himself! haha
How do you know Tweedz is Graham? I'm new, sorry.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 06:37

WillRobson186 wrote:
Indiana wrote:And let's not forget the infamous tweedz-gate... he ended up in the troll bin for a while for... ermmm... being himself! haha
How do you know Tweedz is Graham? I'm new, sorry.
It's common knowledge at this stage essentially. He posted as Tweedo on the official Blur message board. When he first came on here, as was said, there was speculation that it wasn't him. Then one of the mods posted that they had received confirmation that it was indeed Graham, not a randy pretending to be him. He doesn't post very often, but it's fair to say it's pretty exciting when he does throw in his two cents about something. :)

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 06:40

Rubi wrote:
My Name Is Mud wrote:Spot on. Not once have I thought "Good God, elasticaman is an awful dickhead." Not even when he said the Strokes are better than Blur. :P
But virtually everything Westway says is overly negative, clearly to provoke a reaction. He's a bellend.
I kind of regret making that statement, though, cos elasticaman has been trying his hardest to better Westway in the trolling department in the last couple of days. He doesn't like the album and is clearly angry that everyone else does, which is kinda sad.
Just saw The Magic Whip vs The Great Escape thread there. I haven't even heard the new record yet and I'm already halfway to agreeing with you. :roll:

Sean

Post by Sean » 23 Apr 2015, 11:08

elasticaman wrote:

Wrong. Lad I know has always hated Blur. Likes edgier, noisy, manlier stuff. Played him the new stuff. Loves it.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 23 Apr 2015, 12:53

i'm definitely buying my brother a copy
perhaps he'll get off that oasis shit

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 13:05

davidsutter wrote:i'm definitely buying my brother a copy
perhaps he'll get off that oasis shit
School him. 8-)

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 23 Apr 2015, 17:55

being in america i think magic whip would wins fan over rather than something like parklife or tge. saying otherwise is a bit ridiculous...
like, i think my brother would get more out of 'There are too many of us' rather than Country fucking house :roll:
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Apr 2015, 19:19

metalhipslop wrote:being in america i think magic whip would wins fan over rather than something like parklife or tge. saying otherwise is a bit ridiculous...
like, i think my brother would get more out of 'There are too many of us' rather than Country fucking house :roll:
Mr Country 'fucking' House to you.

There's no respect these days. ;)