THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

elasticaman

Re: THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Post by elasticaman » 22 Apr 2015, 13:24

yeah i never liked ER on record, but when i recetly started checking out damons live recordings from around that time some of those songs really sounded great (still hate mr tembo tho)

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 22 Apr 2015, 13:52

Rubi wrote:
Sean wrote:You cannot possibly be serious with the "clumsy guitars" comment about Go Out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You think Graham had an off day when he was clumsy and ham fisted? LOL.
I have blocked Westway's posts, but I thought I'd give his "review" a chance. I stopped reading after Go Out. This guy has no clue what he's talking about. Graham's guitars on that track are orgasmic. And looking at the ratings, this topic should be locked and hidden away in the depths of the forum.
Wow what is this North Korea!!!?? What has he said in order to get his posts blocked? Surely someone is allowed to disagree?
Westway constantly puts up with being called a troll simply for having a different opinion on recent blur output to others. I can't recall him being abusive to anyone??

I thought it was fairly positive in places and some of it I agreed with. The drunk dad at karaoke observation is fairly spot on and really made me guffaw and I like that song!

Also 7 is a good score!! If you think a 9 or 10 is for the very best music then 7 is pretty generous.

Blocking someone for an opinion seems the opposite of what blur are all about to me.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 22 Apr 2015, 14:15

Rubi blocked Westway's posts from appearing on the board to them. I've done the same. Constructive criticism is fine, but Westway does it to the point of trolling most of the time. It's fucking sad and annoying and I can do without reading it to be honest.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 22 Apr 2015, 14:19

My Name Is Mud wrote:Rubi blocked Westway's posts from appearing on the board to them. I've done the same. Criticism is fine, but Westway does it to the point of trolling. It's fucking sad and I can do without reading it to be honest.
Ahh I see! Sorry!!

I find him quite funny... I still don't see it as trolling go through and read his posts. He doesn't love a lot of this album, seems fair enough.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 22 Apr 2015, 14:23

He doesn't seem to have a lot of love for Blur in general from what I've seen on here!

Westway

Post by Westway » 22 Apr 2015, 14:24

peterstillman wrote:Westway constantly puts up with being called a troll simply for having a different opinion on recent blur output to others. I can't recall him being abusive to anyone??
im glad someone has picked up on these points, appreciate your post bro

peace

zoozilla

Post by zoozilla » 22 Apr 2015, 14:30

I honestly like reading Westway's comments.

After all the hype and praise in the official album thread, reading something like Westway's review helps keep my expectations from getting dangerously high (still haven't listened to the full album - waiting for physical release).

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 22 Apr 2015, 14:33

Westway wrote:
peterstillman wrote:Westway constantly puts up with being called a troll simply for having a different opinion on recent blur output to others. I can't recall him being abusive to anyone??

peace
Your building a fan club :D well you do like to I Broadcast... :lol:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 22 Apr 2015, 14:47

I think many of those comments are unnecessarily harsh, but see a sliver of truth in others.

Go Out doesn't have great lyrics. They sound like they're being made up on the hoof to me. It's still a great tune, and who cares about great lyrics anyway when they're hemmed in at Hyde Park with a bellyful of overpriced Tuborg?

Pyongyang is more understated than I expected it to be. It's a solid album track, and I like it too, but I was expecting - er, I'm not sure what, Blur's answer to Stairway To Heaven, probably.

Seeing I Broadcast and My Terracota Heart collectively being awarded 1 from a possible 20 is unfathomable though. My quest for 'The Definitive Review' continues....
Last edited by Foggy on 22 Apr 2015, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Apr 2015, 14:48

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Westway wrote:

peace
Your building a fan club :D well you do like to I Broadcast... :lol:
If this keeps up, we'll have a Blur forum turf war on our hands... :lol:

Westway

Post by Westway » 22 Apr 2015, 14:49

Neal Zeal wrote:Your reviews of Lonesome Street and Mirrorball are very positive, and yet you only give them 7/10, so it sounds like you are deliberately marking those down or just use different marking scales to most people.
good question, ill break down my rating system for you

0 rubbish with no redeeming qualities
1 rubbish
2 very poor
3 poor
4 not good
5 average
6 good
7 very good
8 amazing
9 masterpiece
10 perfection

so to put it simply, lonesome street and mirrorball are very good but lack that extra something to be amazing imo

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 22 Apr 2015, 15:00

Westway wrote:
Neal Zeal wrote:Your reviews of Lonesome Street and Mirrorball are very positive, and yet you only give them 7/10, so it sounds like you are deliberately marking those down or just use different marking scales to most people.
good question, ill break down my rating system for you

0 rubbish with no redeeming qualities
1 rubbish
2 very poor
3 poor
4 not good
5 average
6 good
7 very good
8 amazing
9 masterpiece
10 perfection

so to put it simply, lonesome street and mirrorball are very good but lack that extra something to be amazing imo
I Broadcast is no way rubbish with no redeeming qualities..

Sean

Post by Sean » 22 Apr 2015, 15:03

What a comical scoring 'system'.

"9/10 - masterpiece" - LOOOOOOOOOOL :lol:
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Apr 2015, 15:18

I can sympathise with Westway, I was called a troll on the old forum for slating Everyday Robots. I still think it's shit. Everyone is allowed an opinion, good or bad.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 22 Apr 2015, 15:37

And let's not forget the infamous tweedz-gate... he ended up in the troll bin for a while for... ermmm... being himself! haha