THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Apr 2015, 16:28

peterstillman wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:This thread is getting closer to being locked.
Should have happened the second it appeared, imo.
If people have opinions you disagree with, you challenge them, get into a dialogue.

You don't shut them down or name call, surely?
No, but if Westway had a review, surely he could have posted it in one of the already created topics, he didn't have to make himself as visible. He knew people would be pissed off, hence several pages of discussion for something that frankly doesn't merit that.

Miki

Post by Miki » 24 Apr 2015, 16:31

So the crunch of this thread is Westway doesn't like TMW. Some agree with him. Most do not. What have we learned?

Moving on? 8-)
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 17:09

Styopa wrote:
peterstillman wrote:
Styopa wrote: If you are going to set yourself out there against the consensus, you're going to have to work harder to have your opinion taken seriously. Making sweeping and provocative statements is not a constructive way to go about it.

On the other hand it's OK to dislike a song but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad song, it could just mean you don't like it. This happens to all of us all of the time, I'm sure.
Calling it definitive was clearly a JOKE! I don't think he's called anyone else wrong or said you can't disagree.

Can you honestly read through the positive comments and tell me they are any more valid and incisive??? I don't agree with your point about Dylan, I think its a perfectly valid (if simplistic) opinion that I would disagree with. I wouldn't jump up and down and call you a troll.
I agree people shouldn't jump down his throat about it. But perhaps that's what he wants? Perhaps that's why he started a whole new thread when most people have been content giving their views in the many threads that are already set up covering this topic. To paraphrase Wilde, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
Possibly, you constantly dismiss someone out of hand then they are going to want to antagonise.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Apr 2015, 17:23

peterstillman wrote:Possibly, you constantly dismiss someone out of hand then they are going to want to antagonise.
We are ignoring him because he's been a dick in the past, not just for the sake of it.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 17:38

TripleJay97 wrote:
peterstillman wrote:Possibly, you constantly dismiss someone out of hand then they are going to want to antagonise.
We are ignoring him because he's been a dick in the past, not just for the sake of it.
Has he though?? Really? Or did he just dare to have an opinion that differed to the status quo? Even if he has in the past he hasn't recently as far as I can see, but I see long list of troll comments.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Apr 2015, 17:38

He was on the old forum too.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 24 Apr 2015, 17:45

Well Blur and their music have always been divisive. Westway's review fits into that great tradition.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 18:35

TripleJay97 wrote:He was on the old forum too.
And he was banned there, if I'm not mistaken.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Apr 2015, 18:38

Was he? I know Dimitri was... Don't remember Westway being given the heave-ho. Maybe I'm forgetting.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Apr 2015, 18:39

Westway hasn't done anything to warrant a ban, although the topic he created in the Off Topic section should result in a public spanking.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Miki

Post by Miki » 24 Apr 2015, 19:43

I don't deny anyone the right to have their own opinion on something and expressing it, even if I may disagree, but I think having a separate thread for your opinion is a bit unnecessary. What if we all did that? 364 threads of definitive reviews? Chaos. This should have been merged with other threads on the topic. Or maybe this could be renamed as "Our Reviews thread" so that others can add their views. Infact there's a thread called "Magic Whip - song by song impression"... merging this and that one together? Just to keep things tidy and in one place.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Westway

Post by Westway » 24 Apr 2015, 21:22

Rubi wrote:Firstly, I don't know how familiar you are with him, but he's a certified troll on these forums.
certified my ass, a few of you have decided that just cos i dont think the recent stuff Damon's put out is up to his potential and the fact that he can still write something like Pyongyang proves that imo
Rubi wrote:Plus I cannot take seriously someone who gives 4, 0 and 1/10 to tracks like Spaceman, I Broadcast and MTH.
its my opinion, fair enough you dont share it, i still take your opinion seriously

peace

Sean

Post by Sean » 24 Apr 2015, 21:27

0 and 1 out of 10 actually made me LOL. Nought FFS. Hahaha. :mrgreen:
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Apr 2015, 21:29

A 0 should surely apply to something that doesn't actually count as a song :lol:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Apr 2015, 22:28

I've spoken with Veikko and as a result this thread will now be locked.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...