THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

My Name Is Mud

Re: THE DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Apr 2015, 19:43

Lolz.

Westway

Post by Westway » 23 Apr 2015, 23:19

peterstillman wrote:
Rubi wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I can sympathise with Westway, I was called a troll on the old forum for slating Everyday Robots. I still think it's shit. Everyone is allowed an opinion, good or bad.
There's a difference between having a different opinion and plain trolling. For example, elasticaman has been very lukewarm about the album, and has slated many songs. But he does it in a civil manner that allows me to sympathize with his views, even though I completely disagree with them.

Westway, on the other hand, has been acting like a troll from day one. His comments, remarks, his way of voicing his opinion are deliberate to evoke a reaction. He's an attention whore. For crying out loud, look at the title of this thread: DEFINITIVE MAGIC WHIP REVIEW! Yeah, right... :roll:
Thats funny!!! He knows almost no-one would consider his opinion the definitive last word hence the title. Made me laugh anyway...
yeah exactly this is what happens when you read my posts for what they are, just someone sharing their opinion, instead of getting all sensitive over them

i gave pyongyang a 9/10 and the album a 5/10, thats not even negative

peace guys

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 23 Apr 2015, 23:40

Westway wrote:yeah exactly this is what happens when you read my posts for what they are, just someone sharing their opinion, instead of getting all sensitive over them

i gave pyongyang a 9/10 and the album a 5/10, thats not even negative

peace guys
like I said in the other thread, stuff like that isn't why we call you a troll

it's stuff like "I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT" that makes us call you a troll

not even I pulled that shit (or maybe I did and I forgot)

anyway, you liked pyongyang more than me, so I guess that's good
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

britpopunionblur

Post by britpopunionblur » 24 Apr 2015, 05:43

I'm gonna do my own rankings
--------------------------------
Lonesome Street -9/10

Classic Britpop Blur with a nice Syd Barrett twist. That is only usually seen in early B-sides. Really have grown and me and I love it. Girls and Boys of the album to me :)
-----------------------------------

New World Towers 7.5/10

Always look forward to this song. Grahams guitar is amazing. I miss the "seven on me" section of the live version. Used to it now. Only real problem is track placement. Maybe its because I'm show used to hearing Go Out come after Lonesome Street
---------------------------------------------

Go Out 7(or 8) /10

Great rocker. Will say the distortion and pinching fuzz can be really hard on the ears. Once the song gets going it's nothing but pure Sing along fun "TO THE LOCAL". I do find this to be the one song that very much of the Self titled or 13 era. It doesn't really fit amongst the album. It's pleasant all the same. Find it comparable to Crazy Beat for some reason. Two different beasts though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ice Cream Man 8.5/10

I prefer this as far as putting on over Lonesome Street. I just can't give it a 9 because it doesn't feel as fully formed as a tune. Still love it all the same fun cheeky electronic number.Really catchy

Thought I Was A Spaceman 10/10

This to me is the Caramel/Caravan of the album. Maybe not as drenched as the former. Just gives me strong vibes of those tune. It is very Mellow and Brooding. Once the drums kick in and that Keyboard/Xylophone notes are played, this Song goes to a whole new level. Grahams singing part also gives the song some added range to Damon monotone story.
----------------------------------------

I Broadcast 8/10

Not one I look forward to most on the album. However once it comes on I can't help but get into it and start singing (same sort of with Go Out). Just a great punky rocker that leads perfectly into "My Terracotta Heart". (side note I actually prefer New World Towers and Go Out to this, but gave this higher score because it does its job so well for what it is. Not missing any sections (cough) "seven on me" (cough).
--------------------------------------------------------

My Terracotta Heart 9/10

As much as I hate to admit it this song has grown on me. It doesn't really feel much of a Blur song (to me). As it doesn't go to those highs of Sweet Song or Out of Time (as far as catchiness or emotional connection for me). It still a pleasant song that deserves this score. The guitar is beautiful and its a nice easy song that I sing along too. Damon high vocals and change in chorus do seem drastic from the sound of the verses. I do like it a lot and look forward to it coming on.
-----------------------------------------------------

There Are Too Many Of Us 9/10

Love this song and its message so much like how it goes nicely with the last track that preceded it. When the little synth part comes in is what makes the song to me. How it keep building with sound after sound.Whilst doing this very subtly. Great lyrics as well. (side note - this song reminds me of Angels and Airwaves. I think because I listened to that band when this song came out.Just the synth part gives me that vibe. It's probably just me)

----------------------------------------------

Ghost Ship 10/10

Fun ,funky,breezy number. Very Gorillaz Plastic Beach sounding (as far as concept goes). This reminds me of Paul Weller either with The Style Council or early songs he did Solo. Just smooth verses and a chorus that is not drastic but a great change of pace. I feel that this song should almost close the album. As a nice send off. To me Pyongyang should have been track nine. To go more with the flow of the two tracks before.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pyongyang - note sure what to rank 6 7 maybe 8/10

This seemed great live but on the album has not stuck to much a chord with me. I think its well produced, probably the darkest sounding song besides Mirrorball. It has a chorus that basically soars. Just something doesn't really grab me. Pretty good lyrics. I like this song just not sure how much. No real opinion. I'm trying to dig it more. Only time will tell.
-------------------------------------------

Ong Ong 9/10

This is the Country House of the album. Which happens to be one of my favorite tracks by the band, so I really latched on to this one. This is a simply fun track. Seems like Damon has finally got this type of song right after messing around with "The Puritan" (Ok) and "Mr.Tembo" (like rap part) . Love singing along to this and got used to new Lalala's. This song is nothing spectacular just a great comeback from Pyongyang for me.
-----------------------------------------------

Mirrorball 8/10

Though I do think Ghost Ship would have been a great ending for the album. I find there is no place for this track to move. So this a great closer. Grahams guitar line is dark and intriguing. Reminds me a slowed down version of The Kids in The Hall show theme song (Canadian reference ;) ). This song doesn't over stay its welcome and lyrics such as "Before You Logout Hold Close To Me" really touch me.

Put in scores in itunes and it came up 4/5 which seems to be what everyone else thinks :).

As far as Ranking albums

Parklife
Modern Life Is Rubbish
Blur/The Magic Whip (can't decide because those 4 have always been my top. Though self titled has always been my least in the top 4)
Think Tank/Great Escape (mood. Think Tank is more consistent better album, Great Escape is more interesting as far as History and Pop appeal
Leisure (don't really like)

Now when it does comes to consistency of good songs to bad/ok ones - Parklife ,13, Think Tank and The Magic Whip seem the best in this department to me (MLIR is a little long, though I love all tracks)
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 09:48

britpopunionblur wrote:I'm gonna do my own rankings
Lonesome Street -9/10

Classic Britpop Blur with a nice Syd Barrett twist. That is only usually seen in early B-sides. Really have grown and me and I love it. Girls and Boys of the album to me :)

New World Towers 7.5/10

Always look forward to this song. Grahams guitar is amazing. I miss the "seven on me" section of the live version. Used to it now. Only real problem is track placement. Maybe its because I'm show used to hearing Go Out come after Lonesome Street

Go Out 7(or 8) /10

Great rocker. Will say the distortion and pinching fuzz can be really hard on the ears. Once the song gets going it's nothing but pure Sing along fun "TO THE LOCAL". I do find this to be the one song that very much of the Self titled or 13 era. It doesn't really fit amongst the album. It's pleasant all the same. Find it comparable to Crazy Beat for some reason. Two different beasts though.

Ice Cream Man 8.5/10

I prefer this as far as putting on over Lonesome Street. I just can't give it a 9 because it doesn't feel as fully formed as a tune. Still love it all the same fun cheeky electronic number.Really catchy

This to me is the Caramel/Caravan of the album. Maybe not as drenched as the former. Just gives me strong vibes of those tune. It is very Mellow and Brooding. Once the drums kick in and that Keyboard/Xylophone notes are played, this Song goes to a whole new level. Grahams singing part also gives the song some added range to Damon monotone story.

I Broadcast 8/10

Not one I look forward to most on the album. However once it comes on I can't help but get into it and start singing (same sort of with Go Out). Just a great punky rocker that leads perfectly into "My Terracotta Heart". (side note I actually prefer New World Towers and Go Out to this, but gave this higher score because it does its job so well for what it is. Not missing any sections (cough) "seven on me" (cough).

My Terracotta Heart 9/10

As much as I hate to admit it this song has grown on me. It doesn't really feel much of a Blur song (to me). As it doesn't go to those highs of Sweet Song or Out of Time (as far as catchiness or emotional connection for me). It still a pleasant song that deserves this score. The guitar is beautiful and its a nice easy song that I sing along too. Damon high vocals and change in chorus do seem drastic from the sound of the verses. I do like it a lot and look forward to it coming on.

Love this song and its message so much like how it goes nicely with the last track that preceded it. When the little synth part comes in is what makes the song to me. How it keep building with sound after sound.Whilst doing this very subtly. Great lyrics as well. (side note - this song reminds me of Angels and Airwaves. I think because I listened to that band when this song came out.Just the synth part gives me that vibe. It's probably just me)

Ghost Ship 10/10

Fun ,funky,breezy number. Very Gorillaz Plastic Beach sounding (as far as concept goes). This reminds me of Paul Weller either with The Style Council or early songs he did Solo. Just smooth verses and a chorus that is not drastic but a great change of pace. I feel that this song should almost close the album. As a nice send off. To me Pyongyang should have been track nine. To go more with the flow of the two tracks before.

This seemed great live but on the album has not stuck to much a chord with me. I think its well produced, probably the darkest sounding song besides Mirrorball. It has a chorus that basically soars. Just something doesn't really grab me. Pretty good lyrics. I like this song just not sure how much. No real opinion. I'm trying to dig it more. Only time will tell.

Ong Ong 9/10

This is the Country House of the album. Which happens to be one of my favorite tracks by the band, so I really latched on to this one. This is a simply fun track. Seems like Damon has finally got this type of song right after messing around with "The Puritan" (Ok) and "Mr.Tembo" (like rap part) . Love singing along to this and got used to new Lalala's. This song is nothing spectacular just a great comeback from Pyongyang for me.

Mirrorball 8/10

Though I do think Ghost Ship would have been a great ending for the album. I find there is no place for this track to move. So this a great closer. Grahams guitar line is dark and intriguing. Reminds me a slowed down version of The Kids in The Hall show theme song (Canadian reference ;) ). This song doesn't over stay its welcome and lyrics such as "Before You Logout Hold Close To Me" really touch me.

Put in scores in itunes and it came up 4/5 which seems to be what everyone else thinks :).

As far as Ranking albums

Parklife
Modern Life Is Rubbish
Blur/The Magic Whip (can't decide because those 4 have always been my top. Though self titled has always been my least in the top 4)
Think Tank/Great Escape (mood. Think Tank is more consistent better album, Great Escape is more interesting as far as History and Pop appeal

Now when it does comes to consistency of good songs to bad/ok ones - Parklife ,13, Think Tank and The Magic Whip seem the best in this department to me (MLIR is a little long, though I love all tracks)
Now this is what I call a real review. Nicely done, agreed with almost everything.

Westway

Post by Westway » 24 Apr 2015, 12:00

omgosh they gave the best song on the album the lowest rating omgosh troll troll troll troll troll :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Apr 2015, 12:10

You're now also trolling in ignoring why FLM was saying you were trolling

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 13:41

Rubi wrote:
britpopunionblur wrote:I'm gonna do my own rankings
Lonesome Street -9/10

New World Towers 7.5/10

Go Out 7(or 8) /10

Ice Cream Man 8.5/10

I Broadcast 8/10

My Terracotta Heart 9/10

Ghost Ship 10/10

Ong Ong 9/10

Mirrorball 8/10

As far as Ranking albums

Parklife
Modern Life Is Rubbish

Now this is what I call a real review. Nicely done, agreed with almost everything.
Why is this better?? Because you agree with it?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 13:43

peterstillman wrote:Why is this better?? Because you agree with it?
Because it doesn't talk crap.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 13:58

Rubi wrote:
So people with an opposing view are talking crap?

I nodded off before the end to be honest.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 14:11

peterstillman wrote:
Rubi wrote:
So people with an opposing view are talking crap?

I nodded off before the end to be honest.
Good for you. I stopped reading after Go Out. Clumsy guitars? Boring song structure? There's criticism, and then there's plain ridiculousness. Plus I cannot take seriously someone who gives 4, 0 and 1/10 to tracks like Spaceman, I Broadcast and MTH.

britpopunionblur

Post by britpopunionblur » 24 Apr 2015, 14:21

Rubi wrote:
Thanks man I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes I think I might have gone to low or high on some of them (Ice Cream Man is my third favorite track but only gave it 8.5. I think I was pretty fair to this album as a whole. Maybe some of the 9's were giving too easy (some could be more like 8's). However I stand by my 10's for Spaceman and Ghost Ship. Guess you and I Rubi are finally one the same page :).
Last edited by britpopunionblur on 24 Apr 2015, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Apr 2015, 14:22

This thread is getting closer to being locked.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Apr 2015, 14:26

britpopunionblur wrote:
Rubi wrote:
Thanks man I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes I think I might have gone to low or high on some of them (Ice Cream Man is my third favorite track but only gave it 8.5. I think I was pretty fair to this album as a whole. Maybe some of the 9's were giving too easy (some could be more like 8's). However I stand by my 10's for Spaceman and Ghost Ship. Guess you and I Rubi are finally one the same page :)
Maybe because it's still too early to rate them individually. I'm still unsure myself. I know which ones are 10s, but the rest need some more pondering. Give it time. :)

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 24 Apr 2015, 14:32

[/quote]Good for you. I stopped reading after Go Out. Clumsy guitars? Boring song structure? There's criticism, and then there's plain ridiculousness. Plus I cannot take seriously someone who gives 4, 0 and 1/10 to tracks like Spaceman, I Broadcast and MTH.[/quote]

I dont agree with his review, but he makes some valid points. Its all opinion, art is subjective, there is no right or wrong. It makes for quite a funny read if you aren't too precious about it. I don't see why that results in being called a troll.