Favourite TMW Studio Versions?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

What's your 3 favourite songs from the Magic Whip?

Lonesome Street
10%
New World Towers
3%
Go Out
8%
Ice Cream Man
10%
Thought I Was a Spaceman
13%
I Broadcast
5%
My Terracotta Heart
4%
There Are Too Many of Us
4%
Ghost Ship
12%
Pyongyang
19%
Ong Ong
5%
Mirrorball
6%
Y'all Doomed
1%

Total votes: 135

Forever Low Man

Re: Favourite TMW Studio Versions?

Post by Forever Low Man » 21 Apr 2015, 21:22

A lot of the studio versions felt really off compared to the live versions (specifically I Broadcast). Others were kinda plodding to begin with and haven't changed. Ice Cream Man has that really annoying synth thing that hangs around for most of the song. Go Out is still my least favorite.

Hype is a bitch. Kinda disappointed with the album as a whole.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2015, 21:24

Forever Low Man wrote:Hype is a bitch. Kinda disappointed with the album as a whole.
Really? That's too bad. :(

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2015, 21:33

Taken away my vote for Pyongyang and gone for Ong Ong instead. Love it, cracking song!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Apr 2015, 21:36

Loving Ong Ong aren't you Tom? :D

It's a great, fun tune and brings a pleasant change of mood at that point in the album, but it feels like a lightweight compared to Pyongyang to me.

devoiced

Post by devoiced » 21 Apr 2015, 21:39

ghost ship no.1
I approve!
If you know a person who keeps a straight face throughout that song, kill them, they are the next hitler-satan-binladen! :D
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2015, 21:46

Ong Ong is a killer! So, so fun to listen to.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 21 Apr 2015, 21:47

Rubi wrote:Ong Ong is a killer! So, so fun to listen to.
Really grown to like studio version. Nice summery feel.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2015, 21:48

101reykjavik wrote:Loving Ong Ong aren't you Tom? :D

It's a great, fun tune and brings a pleasant change of mood at that point in the album, but it feels like a lightweight compared to Pyongyang to me.
Oh don't get me wrong I love Pyongyang but after listening to it almost non-stop last night (along with Ghost Ship and Ice Cream Man) I gave it a rest today and focused on the others. Ong Ong is sublime. A real surprise for me actually, the live version at MODE was good but the studio version really adds to it. Plus I love the delicious piano playing at the 1:53 mark. Maybe my favourite moment of the album. :mrgreen:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 21 Apr 2015, 21:50

tom_cas1 wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:Loving Ong Ong aren't you Tom? :D

Oh don't get me wrong I love Pyongyang but after listening to it almost non-stop last night (along with Ghost Ship and Ice Cream Man) I gave it a rest today and focused on the others. Ong Ong is sublime. A real surprise for me actually, the live version at MODE was good but the studio version really adds to it. Plus I love the delicious piano playing at the 1:53 mark. Maybe my favourite moment of the album. :mrgreen:
How are you listening to the songs individually? On my stream (on iPhone) you can only listen to the whole thing, without pausing.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2015, 21:52

He's So High wrote:How are you listening to the songs individually? On my stream (on iPhone) you can only listen to the whole thing, without pausing.
Just get the leak from Getleaks. It's the same quality. I have all tracks on iTunes and on my iPhone.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Apr 2015, 21:53

Listen on a computer and you can drag the stream back and forth.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2015, 21:54

Yep or send TripleyJay a PM.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 21 Apr 2015, 21:55

Ah thanks! Trying to resist putting the leak on my phone, as at least the stream is awkward to listen to and so I can't over-listen to it!

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 21 Apr 2015, 23:09

He's So High wrote:Ah thanks! Trying to resist putting the leak on my phone, as at least the stream is awkward to listen to and so I can't over-listen to it!
In this stream you can select the song you want: http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2015/ ... 18418.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 22 Apr 2015, 00:29

This was extremely hard and will surely change! Here it is, just in order of the tracklist:

1. Ghost Ship
2. Ong Ong
3. Pyongyang

I know they're one after the other on the album... makes it a killer 3 tracks for me! Such an amazing album. My rating grows higher each day. Gotta say I'm surprised that right now I like Ong Ong's studio version better than Pyongyang's, but the opposite is true as far as live performances go. Gah I'm so excited, so happy to be experiencing my first Blur album release! :D being a young fan is finally paying off :')