Under the Westway Taboo

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

munch

Under the Westway Taboo

Post by munch » 13 Apr 2015, 05:30

So the Magic Whip is coming out and all of our palettes are cleansed. Whatever that means...

I know we've spoken about this before but while the new music is close to release, with 3 tracks arguably better than anything released in 2012 what are your thoughts on the William Orbit version of Under the Westway?

Keep in mind, this could have been the place new music came from. We could quite possibly have gotten a few new tracks out of the William Orbit saga. But Damon understandably came along and said, no autotune, no Orbit.

Do you just hate it?
Do you see it as a good piece on it's own?
Do you consider it an official bit of Blur music that will play on random just like all the bsides?
Do you think it shows the potential that would soon blossum into The Magic Whip?
Do you like it more than the official released version?
Do you think it could have been a hit?

To remind yourself you can listen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtnmn4CUX38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

TripleJay97

Re: Under the Westway Taboo

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Apr 2015, 05:35

I'm mixed about it. On one hand, some of the choices are just terrible. The lack of Alex and Dave, the autotune, all the weird digital stuff. But I do find it more structurally compelling than the released Blur-produced version. I would kill many, many kittens to have that mid-section on the final mix.

" I down a rum or two with you..."

I don't see it as a b-side. I often listen to it and think, 'this isn't blur. this isn't what a blur song sounds like. what the fuck.'

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Apr 2015, 06:58

TripleJay97 wrote:I'm mixed about it. On one hand, some of the choices are just terrible. The lack of Alex and Dave, the autotune, all the weird digital stuff. But I do find it more structurally compelling than the released Blur-produced version. I would kill many, many kittens to have that mid-section on the final mix.

" I down a rum or two with you..."

I don't see it as a b-side. I often listen to it and think, 'this isn't blur. this isn't what a blur song sounds like. what the fuck.'
This really. Structurally more varied and interesting, better lyrics, but dodgy production. I listen to it from time to time as there's plenty of stuff to be enjoyed amongst the weirdness.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 13 Apr 2015, 07:09

The only good part is "I downed a rum or two with you" to 3:29.

It's so confusing because Blur and William Orbit together was amazing on 13. What a shame..
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 13 Apr 2015, 07:55

It is very much a b-side thing for me, it is quite disjointed and although parts of it does have some merit, I'm glad it wasn't released. The auto tune is horrendous as others have mentioned and it doesn't really capture the emotion of the song.

That said, although I'm one of the people who really likes the song, I wasn't happy with the final production of the version the band released, it sounded a bit too fluffy with those harmonies and it should have been a bit more grittier and let the instruments express the emotion like the live version did. I firmly of the belief that a band should never produce their own work, you need the perspective from somewhere else.

Too be honest, even though 13 is my favourite album, I'm glad it worked out the way it did as I believe Stephen Street was the right Man to produce the comeback album.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Apr 2015, 08:24

I like it, but not as Blur. Not even as William Orbit. Quite obviously shouldn't have been the final version. The ending amuses me.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 13 Apr 2015, 09:15

Yeah, I like it. As everyone already mentioned, structurally it's very interesting. But production-wise, it's a direction I wouldn't have wanted the band to take. Not just the auto-tune, but the over-usage of synths and all the digital stuff. Sounds like it would have fitted better on Plastic Beach than on a Blur album.

JackS

Post by JackS » 13 Apr 2015, 10:30

I do not believe this was anywhere near a final cut of what they were working towards. Particularly the rhythmn section. There is no way that would have been released, and clearly the drums are placeholder.

I think I'm in a minority of loving the released version of UTW, but I do see the value in the middle section of the Orbit version. The final UTW possibly could have been slightly more interesting with the addition of this section, but it would have lacked the "hymn-like" feel which the band clearly wanted, and I think they achieved in the final version.

The Plastic Beach comparisons are completely fair, particularly with the opening synth.

stephen

Post by stephen » 13 Apr 2015, 11:01

It sounds like a sketch of ideas rather than a polished final version. It doesn't belong anywhere near public hearing.

The fact that William Orbit leaked it, and almost seems proud of it is the strangest part in all of this.

His stuff is usually pretty well produced.

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 13 Apr 2015, 11:22

I always see it more like an unpolished remix of the song - can't hear much "Blur" in it.

As Stephen said, Orbit had some adventurous ideas, but it sounds like he struggled to fit them together... the end result feels "copy and paste" and is pretty awkward to listen to in my opinion.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Apr 2015, 11:35

Holy shit guys... What if Westway is William Orbit?

1. He's expressed a distate for the final mix of Under the Westway
2. He's named after the song anyway
3. William and Westway both start with a W
4. They also both have 7 letters
5. He's also expressed a distaste for almost everything Blur have come out with since they stopped working with Orbit
6. His avatar represents 1997 Damon, just before he started working with Orbit

stephen

Post by stephen » 13 Apr 2015, 11:44

TripleJay97 wrote:Holy shit guys... What if Westway is William Orbit?

1. He's expressed a distate for the final mix of Under the Westway
2. He's named after the song anyway
3. William and Westway both start with a W
4. They also both have 7 letters
5. He's also expressed a distaste for almost everything Blur have come out with since they stopped working with Orbit
6. His avatar represents 1997 Damon, just before he started working with Orbit
I think this has been covered before :lol:

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Apr 2015, 11:45

Bollocks :lol: Surely I added some new evidence though?

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 13 Apr 2015, 12:44

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Apr 2015, 12:49

We've turned into (an ironic) YouTube :lol: