Favorite tracks: The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

What are your five favorite tracks from The Great Escape?

Stereotypes
8%
Country House
7%
Best Days
13%
Charmless Man
7%
Fade Away
3%
Top Man
1%
The Universal
17%
Mr. Robinson's Quango
3%
He Thought of Cars
15%
It Could Be You
6%
Ernold Same
1%
Globe Alone
3%
Dan Abnormal
1%
Entertain Me
5%
Yuko & Hiro
9%

Total votes: 353

ricj

Re: Favorite tracks: The Great Escape

Post by ricj » 01 Apr 2015, 09:01

I really like Entertain Me but I've always thought that it's incredibly lazy songwriting as it uses pretty much the exact same formula as Girls & Boys.

It's basically the non identical, slightly more sensible twin of Girls & Boys.

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 01 Apr 2015, 14:16

just listened to this album...it's mostly really very good~~!!
Universal is one of the greatest things on earth

the others are hard to choose
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

ricj

Post by ricj » 01 Apr 2015, 21:56

I listened to the album in full today in the car for the first time in AGES and it's really not as bad as I remember. It's just let down by the often bizarre and cringeworthy quirks in some of the songs, case in point being Topman - the "OHH'S" and the "OPEN SESAME!" which are totally weird and unnecessary. Some of it is almost like some bizarre musical. I think the only song I really have no time for though is Dan Abnormal. Even Ernold Same has a kind of novelty charm to it but Dan Abnormal is just lame in every way. I can't even put my finger on what makes it so crap but 'meanie leanie'?! How did Damon dream that up?! Once again, just weird... Oh and I stand by my earlier point about Entertain Me being a formulaic re-imagining of Girls & Boys.

On the whole though good album and reminds me of simpler times circa 1996.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 01 Apr 2015, 22:57

ricj wrote:I listened to the album in full today in the car for the first time in AGES and it's really not as bad as I remember. It's just let down by the often bizarre and cringeworthy quirks in some of the songs, case in point being Topman - the "OHH'S" and the "OPEN SESAME!" which are totally weird and unnecessary. Some of it is almost like some bizarre musical. I think the only song I really have no time for though is Dan Abnormal. Even Ernold Same has a kind of novelty charm to it but Dan Abnormal is just lame in every way. I can't even put my finger on what makes it so crap but 'meanie leanie'?! How did Damon dream that up?! Once again, just weird... Oh and I stand by my earlier point about Entertain Me being a formulaic re-imagining of Girls & Boys.

I completely disagree on Dan Abormal. I love everything about it. (Incidentally, it was years before I realised the title was an anagram for Damon Albarn.) But yeah, the chorus in particular is fucking great. Graham's riff if is just excellent. I chose it as one of my top 5 in this poll in fact.

ricj

Post by ricj » 01 Apr 2015, 23:05

My Name Is Mud wrote:
ricj wrote:I listened to the album in full today in the car for the first time in AGES and it's really not as bad as I remember. It's just let down by the often bizarre and cringeworthy quirks in some of the songs, case in point being Topman - the "OHH'S" and the "OPEN SESAME!" which are totally weird and unnecessary. Some of it is almost like some bizarre musical. I think the only song I really have no time for though is Dan Abnormal. Even Ernold Same has a kind of novelty charm to it but Dan Abnormal is just lame in every way. I can't even put my finger on what makes it so crap but 'meanie leanie'?! How did Damon dream that up?! Once again, just weird... Oh and I stand by my earlier point about Entertain Me being a formulaic re-imagining of Girls & Boys.

I completely disagree on Dan Abormal. I love everything about it. (Incidentally, it was years before I realised the title was an anagram for Damon Albarn.) But yeah, the chorus in particular is fucking great. Graham's riff if is just excellent. I chose it as one of my top 5 in this poll in fact.

Well each to their own I guess! I agree the guitar parts are great - I think it's just the aspects from Damon's end that rub me the wrong way.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 01 Apr 2015, 23:50

ooooooh tough one, since it's my favorite. MRQ is in my top 3 blur songs. Some of the favorites of the poll aren't my favorites.

Hearing Alex play the bass to Entertain Me live was :o

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 02 Apr 2015, 07:27

ricj wrote:
My Name Is Mud wrote: I completely disagree on Dan Abormal. I love everything about it. (Incidentally, it was years before I realised the title was an anagram for Damon Albarn.) But yeah, the chorus in particular is fucking great. Graham's riff if is just excellent. I chose it as one of my top 5 in this poll in fact.

Well each to their own I guess! I agree the guitar parts are great - I think it's just the aspects from Damon's end that rub me the wrong way.
Yeah exactly, each to their own indeed. :) I love all the silliness that goes with the song too, the "McNormal and chips or I'll blow you to bits" part and also the "Aaaaallll together now!" before every chorus. Great stuff. :mrgreen:

ricj

Post by ricj » 02 Apr 2015, 09:07

Haha exactly! Those are just the kind of things that annoy me about it!

HydeParklife

Post by HydeParklife » 02 Apr 2015, 11:06

I can't pick just 5, 20 years since TGE I'm hoping a few songs from this album will make into the setlist other than Country House and The Universal, which I do enjoy hearing live. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favouite album of theirs, liking 13 a lot more recently.

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 02 Apr 2015, 11:36

I love the underlying unease and weirdness, despite the pop sheen. Or maybe because of it, it's like a London based ok computer, there's all this paranoia and urban tension.
NOT for the likes of you. Image

bushmonkey

Post by bushmonkey » 02 Apr 2015, 11:58

Well The Universal was the first dance at my wedding, so that gets number 1 spot!

After that, and in no particular order:

He Thought of Cars
Best Days
Fade Away
On the slow boat to Lantau through misty seas...

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 02 Apr 2015, 13:54

ricj wrote:Haha exactly! Those are just the kind of things that annoy me about it!
Ha ha no way! Well, nothing is for everyone I guess! :)

Westway

Post by Westway » 02 Apr 2015, 22:58

he thought of cars is over rated af , the chorus is mad boring

best songs are country house, yuko and hiro, universal, best days and charmless man

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 Apr 2015, 01:15

I only voted for two songs. Not a huge fan of this album.

Two good songs are "Stereotypes" and "He Thought Of Cars". I have problems of some sort with all of the other ones. Sorry.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 Apr 2015, 08:13

Forever Low Man wrote:I only voted for two songs. Not a huge fan of this album.

Two good songs are "Stereotypes" and "He Thought Of Cars". I have problems of some sort with all of the other ones. Sorry.
Even with the magnificent Universal?