Favorite tracks: The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

What are your five favorite tracks from The Great Escape?

Stereotypes
8%
Country House
7%
Best Days
13%
Charmless Man
7%
Fade Away
3%
Top Man
1%
The Universal
17%
Mr. Robinson's Quango
3%
He Thought of Cars
15%
It Could Be You
6%
Ernold Same
1%
Globe Alone
3%
Dan Abnormal
1%
Entertain Me
5%
Yuko & Hiro
9%

Total votes: 353

Jensen

Re: Favorite tracks: The Great Escape

Post by Jensen » 31 Mar 2015, 17:54

UnderThePuritan wrote:
Narrowing this album down to five proved to me that I really do love this album! More than Parklife anyway, which surprised me. A more consistent album you could say. Couldn't squeeze in It Could Be You, Mr Robinsons, etc. The only song that rankles with me on the album is Entertain Me, due to that incessant 90's dance synth, but the bassline on that is class.

Come to the dark side.... 8-)

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 31 Mar 2015, 17:58

I chose Globe Alone over it could be you, but it was a very close thing. It Could Be You is also insanely fun to play along with on guitar. Actually, fuck the haters, I'm gonna throw on The Great Escape right now! :)

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 31 Mar 2015, 18:00

tom_cas1 wrote:Ernold Same is the worst song Blur have ever done, mainly due to Ken Livingstone's participation.
Don't be mean about Comrade Ken! ;)

blurvert

Post by blurvert » 31 Mar 2015, 19:02

The Universal
He Thought of Cars
Best Days
Yuko & Hiro
Stereotypes

The Great Escape – the album that divides the nation. It’s certainly one of the most controversial of albums. Blur became my favourite band not long after the release of this, so I too have a lot of fond memories of this album & Parklife. However in almost 20 years my taste in song has unsurprisingly changed. Back then Country House, Parklife, Sunday Sunday were in my top ten and I thought little of Sing, Death of a Party and He Thought of Cars. I think TGE has some of Damon’s best lyrics, as much as I may dislike the song itself. Maybe it’s generational (I’m 32) & British thing, but I hate it when I mention being a Blur fan and they sing Country House and Parklife at you, if they sang from-that-Britpop-era song such as This is a Low or The Universal I’d be much happier. Damon says TGE is “messy” and I certainly agree. It does have some of their finest moments but equally some of their worst. The Great Escape became a parody of their selves.

Stereotypes – yep great tune, always liked it. It’s lots of fun and great lyrics
Country House – I loved it at the time, now it makes my toes curl. I’d break a finger to hear the demo.
Best Days – absolutely brilliant! Perfect in fact.
Charmless Man – you know what, I quite like this. Maybe its Grahams guitar, but it’s almost up there with Girls & Boys and There’s No Other Way
Fade Away – always been “meh” about this. It’s okay, it has brilliant lyrics but it should have been a Bside
TOPMAN – I get why people hate this, but I’ve always quite liked it. It’s fun. If it had been a single I’m sure I’d have a different opinion – I’d quite happily swap this for one of their bsides -
The Universal – Masterpiece! Nothing more can be said an epic tune – absolutely divine!
Mr Robinson’s Quango – never in my days have I like this. It has always been at the bottom of the list. Great lyrics but hate the tune. Scrap the brass and if Damon calmed down and sounded rather more melancholic I’m sure it’d be a winner (demo anyone?)
He Thought of Cars – another epic song. Just beautiful
It Could be You – great guitar opening, so catchy! but I hate the lyrics. An okay album track, maybe if graham used this riff for another song (which, I don’t know)
Erold Same – great tune, there I said it. I honestly put this in the top half of the album. I used to hate it, but then one day I realised…I am Ernold Same. I see this song as being the interlude, maybe it should have been place as a half way track, but yes, it’s a great song!
Globe Alone – another “meh” song, I get it was their punk-rocky riff but it’s nothing special. Better bside material.
Dan Abnormal – yep, another “meh” song. It’s a bit too dopey, if it was a bside I wouldn’t question it.
Entertain Me – a wicked tune, should have been a single. Great bass lick, can’t fault it.
Yuko & Hiro – I’ve never understood the hate for this song, in one of the Blub polls this ws voted the worst Blur song – I think it’s one of their best. It’s so touching and has brilliant lyrics

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Mar 2015, 19:12

Stereotypes - Great track, a lot of fun
Country House - Not as bad as I think it is even though its not quite Quango
Best Days - Probably a bit too la-da-da at times but then it also has lyrics like "in hotel rooms listening to dialling tones"
Charmless Man - Not bad at all, one of the most Graham-centric tracks
Fade Away - Love it, love the ska influence, they were doing it better than the LA ska punk bands of the time
Top Man - Not bat at all, the 'bow' or whatever that sound is is fine enough
The Universal - Masterpiece
Mr Robinson's Quango - Bombastic but has better lyrics than Country House and a lot of more humorous moments which isn't bad
He Thought of Cars - Joint best with The Universal, taking the loneliness but sharing it rather than making it whimsical
It Could Be You - Not the best, quite ordinary and doesn't really go anywhere but its fine, I don't dislike it
Ernold Same - The people's second worst Blur album track, but I never skip it, even if it is the worst thing on the album
Globe Alone - The synth really makes it great
Dan Abnormal - Another nice fun track
Entertain Me - Alex James' best bassline, and bap drumming, so one of the highlights
Yuko & Hiro - Underrated and really enjoyable

I did write that little writeup about the album last night but I'm not sure where to appropriate it

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 31 Mar 2015, 19:14

Fade Away is essentially a Fun Boy Three rip off... Not a ska song at all lol
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Mar 2015, 19:15

I didn't say it was ska, just that it has ska influence, which it does.

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 31 Mar 2015, 21:11

I'm not really familiar with this album as much as I am for the others but I've gone for
1) the universal
2) he thought of cars
3) charmless man
4) stereotypes
5) country house
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 31 Mar 2015, 21:27

This was much easier than with Parklife and MLIR.
1. The Universal (one of the best pop songs ever written. Flawless)
2. Charmless Man
3. He Thought of Cars
4. Yuko and Hiro (yeah, I get that those cheesy japanese voices in the bridge are too dodgy, but the chorus is just beautiful)
5. Best Days

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 01 Apr 2015, 01:22

1. The Universal
2. Yuko and Hiro
3. It Could Be You
4. Charmless Man
5. Best Days

zoozilla

Post by zoozilla » 01 Apr 2015, 01:57

I like how divisive this album is.

Here are my picks in no particular order:

The Universal
He Thought of Cars
It Could Be You
Yuko & Hiro
Country House - yeah, yeah. Maybe it's because I'm American and didn't live through the "Britpop" era, as it were, but I think this song is fine. Great Graham solo and I love the "Blow me out" part

I can't believe the songs some of you are picking, though. TOPMAN!? Dan Abnormal!? The former is ridiculously cheesy and the latter's relentless "LA LA LA LAAA" drives me crazy. I respect your opinions, of course. :)

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 Apr 2015, 02:07

He Thought of Cars (one of my top 3 favorite Blur songs)
The Universal
It Could Be You
Stereotypes
Mr. Robinson's Quango (C'mon how can you be a female and not love Damon screaming "Oh I'm a naughty boy!?")

While I like the lyrics to Yuko & Hiro I can't stand the song. The lyrics are a great poem (I think of all song lyrics as poems).

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 Apr 2015, 02:18

I don't get the hate for "Ernold Same" Frankly, I've felt like Ernold Same some times. I rather like Damon's vocals on it and loved the live version they did in 2000.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 01 Apr 2015, 02:22

^ I understand the hate for it. It's not pop/rock like the rest of The Great Escape... Kind of like The Debt Collector right? Which is a great piece of music.
I like Ernold Same too
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 01 Apr 2015, 06:58

zoozilla wrote:I like how divisive this album is.

Here are my picks in no particular order:

The Universal
He Thought of Cars
It Could Be You
Yuko & Hiro
Country House - yeah, yeah. Maybe it's because I'm American and didn't live through the "Britpop" era, as it were, but I think this song is fine. Great Graham solo and I love the "Blow me out" part

I can't believe the songs some of you are picking, though. TOPMAN!? Dan Abnormal!? The former is ridiculously cheesy and the latter's relentless "LA LA LA LAAA" drives me crazy. I respect your opinions, of course. :)
Dan Abnormal? It's not his fault, we made him this way. Yes, I picked it.