The Magic Whip Reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jayums

Re: The Magic Whip Reviews

Post by jayums » 13 Apr 2015, 20:37

northernmonkey wrote:4/5 or 8/10 are still great review scores and suggest a great album which is about right but I agree about the lack of negative review comments. I agree with the reason it doesn't hit full marks is because it hasn't got a Tender or Song 2 but at the same time I think it has plenty of radio friendly songs and one of the rare albums that doesn't have a filler or even a remotely bad or average song on it. Even as a hardcore fan, I thought too much time had passed for them to be able to deliver an album that could stand up against their greatest from the 90's and looking forward to getting hold of the actual album to mix these songs up with their previous work. :)
To be fair, neither Tender or Song 2 were particularly lauded when they first came out. But some songs tend to take on a life of their own over time, and a few of them grow into monsters.

I mean, if Blur released Beetlebum now do you think it would do really well in the charts as they are today?
I can't think of anything more depressing than the thought that Blur might release a song that could do well in the bleedin' singles chart!

tender

Post by tender » 13 Apr 2015, 20:47

jayums wrote: To be fair, neither Tender or Song 2 were particularly lauded when they first came out. But some songs tend to take on a life of their own over time, and a few of them grow into monsters.

I mean, if Blur released Beetlebum now do you think it would do really well in the charts as they are today?
I can't think of anything more depressing than the thought that Blur might release a song that could do well in the bleedin' singles chart!
I think that´s the case with TMW , it has a lot of growers and no instant chart toppers but no question that it has songs that will become Blur classics

jayums

Post by jayums » 13 Apr 2015, 20:49

Sushi wrote:
jayums wrote:Early review copies are only sent out to friendlies who are going to give good reviews - most broadsheets will then release reviews later on.

The first bunch of early reviews at the start of the month were in all likelihood invited to listen to the album - they don't actually have physical copies. Sometimes you might get sent watermarked versions. But I bet none of these first reviewers did.

Later reviews are more likely to be a little more honest and critical, or some overly negative - pissed off journos with an axe to grind who weren't given a copy for early review!

Regardless, my first impression was that the album is great. It doesn't have a killer single that's going to get much airplay, so I just can't see this album being huge commercially. 50,000 units in the UK wouldn't be bad. We'll see. I'm sure Blur were under some pressure from their record company to put something out, EMI milked them to death with the 21 box set, and now Warner in all likelihood wanted their pound of flesh.

Blur have done something that's quite unusual and old fashioned - they've made an accessible, coherent album that stands up in quality from start to finish (I'm looking at you, Think Tank) - not one or two shiny singles on top of a stinking, fat mountain of filler, which is par for the course these days.

Interesting perspective, thanks! That was always kind of my suspicion. It seems similar to when more unknown blogs/publications write about my band or any other local/regional bands; they never have a single bit of criticism to offer because it's a symbiotic relationship. They say, "hey, check out this great band" and the band says "hey check out this great article in this great publication". It's all a game! Still though, your take on the album still makes it seem promising. Who do you write for? Also in what way did you hear the album?
Ha! Should be quite flattered, but my writing skills aren't quite up to it :P Nothing quite so glamorous - a friend of mine works for a company that works for their label. So he had the opportunity to listen to it, and thanks to him, so did I! The rest is my opinion, and shouldn't be taken as being matter of fact. That said, a friend temp-ed at parlophone and I do think there were ructions when it was taken over - job losses, staff leaving etc. I'm only speculating, but I'd imagine changes probably didn't help artists on the label. Thankfully, that's all history now though. 2 weeks to go.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 13 Apr 2015, 20:54

munch wrote:I think there is no doubt it's 'as good as' most of their previous albums. Just a question of will it better than any of them? Won't know till a few months after release i think
Totally agree. I don't think I'll be able to judge it in relation to the rest of their catalogue until at least a year from now.

JackS

Post by JackS » 13 Apr 2015, 21:00

He's So High wrote:
munch wrote:I think there is no doubt it's 'as good as' most of their previous albums. Just a question of will it better than any of them? Won't know till a few months after release i think
Totally agree. I don't think I'll be able to judge it in relation to the rest of their catalogue until at least a year from now.
I suppose it's easier if a band regularly releases albums. A band like Muse, or Coldplay, for example. You know you're getting a new album from them roughly every 2 to 3 years, so it's easier to decide where it fits in.

We on the other hand have all known these Blur albums for so many years without adding anything new to the mix, so we all have our firm favourites and know where the albums fit in alongside each other.

With such a long gap between TMW and Think Tank, I do think it will take a very long time to consider this a "Blur" album in that context if you know what I mean, and then work out where it ranks / fits alongside the others.

jayums

Post by jayums » 13 Apr 2015, 21:01

He's So High wrote:
Ah it will never be as good as Modern Life is Rubbish.

That album was like a first girlfriend... We went everywhere together (I had a Walkman). And now it's just a chewed up mess living in the back of my cupboard (the cassette tape, not the gf).

rich

Post by rich » 13 Apr 2015, 23:52

jayums wrote:And now it's just a chewed up mess living in the back of my cupboard (the cassette tape, not the gf).
:) :)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 14 Apr 2015, 18:43

Very positive review from Louder Than War...

http://louderthanwar.com/blur-the-magic ... um-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miki

Post by Miki » 15 Apr 2015, 01:28

He's So High wrote:Very positive review from Louder Than War...

http://louderthanwar.com/blur-the-magic ... um-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can take only so much of LTW (John Robb and affiliates) punk/anarchists/left wingers stances on everything - and I'm a liberal.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

tender

Post by tender » 15 Apr 2015, 02:42

that was a weird read

munch

Post by munch » 15 Apr 2015, 02:47

strange though
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

sebastianZeal

Post by sebastianZeal » 15 Apr 2015, 09:32

very positive review from German music magazine Musikexpress: 5/5
http://www.musikexpress.de/reviews/albe ... -whip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wont translate it, but its five stars and says that it might be the album of the year.
Last edited by sebastianZeal on 15 Apr 2015, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 15 Apr 2015, 09:36

sebastianZeal wrote:very positive review from German music magazine Musikexpress: 5/5
http://www.musikexpress.de/reviews/albe ... -whip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wont translate it, but its five stars an says that it might be the album of the year.
8-)

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 15 Apr 2015, 10:12

Finally a 5 star review! Mind you, correct me if I'm wrong, but there's been no bad reviews so far right?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 15 Apr 2015, 10:19

Nope - nothing negative yet. All solid reviews.