The Magic Whip Reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

munch

Re: The Magic Whip Reviews

Post by munch » 30 Apr 2015, 07:24

peterstillman wrote:
Except those songs don't sound very alike??

The album as a whole has a pretty different feel to earlier records, I would just like it more if it fully embraced that, without feeling the need to put a punky one here and a singalong there.
Popscene is way better than I Broadcast.... But I Broadcast definitely deserves to the be on the album. It's a great track and fits perfectly after the slow end of Spaceman
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 30 Apr 2015, 10:27

munch wrote:
peterstillman wrote:

The album as a whole has a pretty different feel to earlier records, I would just like it more if it fully embraced that, without feeling the need to put a punky one here and a singalong there.
Popscene is way better than I Broadcast.... But I Broadcast definitely deserves to the be on the album. It's a great track and fits perfectly after the slow end of Spaceman
I agree with you about Popscene but I don't need to be lifted out of the hypnotic reverie of Spaceman. I usually hit repeat straight after, I am happy to wallow there!
I don't listen to Pink Moon for instance and find myself wishing there was something to lighten the mood.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 30 Apr 2015, 11:12

peterstillman wrote:
munch wrote:
peterstillman wrote:

I agree with you about Popscene but I don't need to be lifted out of the hypnotic reverie of Spaceman. I usually hit repeat straight after, I am happy to wallow there!
I don't listen to Pink Moon for instance and find myself wishing there was something to lighten the mood.
It's an interesting thought.

The Magic Whip sounds to me like an album of two sides, with I Broadcast being the full stop to side one. The run of songs on the second side starting with My Terracotta Heart right through to Mirrorball is, I believe, one of the strongest and most cohesive swatches of music in Blur's career. I wonder if the album would have been better if Thought I Was A Spaceman was followed immediately by My Terracotta Heart, or whether the album benefits from having that definitive break, that shot in the arm, in the middle in the form of I Broadcast?

munch

Post by munch » 30 Apr 2015, 11:52

I know the album is mostly slow but all together it's a pretty happy album. Comparing it to Blur, 13 and Think Tank
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 30 Apr 2015, 13:37

peterstillman wrote:
Round and round we go... My Terracotta Heart is one of my favourites! ;)
+1

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 30 Apr 2015, 13:47

Miki wrote:The last four songs on the album are my favourites, which makes for a nice crescendo to the closure of the album for me.

Ghost Ship and Mirrorball top it.
Me too, but my favourite by now is Pyongyang
But it keeps changing, and there isn't only one song that i completely dislike. All in all, I think it's a really great album.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 30 Apr 2015, 13:50

My top 3 of Lonesome Street, Ice Cream Man and Spaceman has been surprisingly stable.

Levitz

Post by Levitz » 30 Apr 2015, 17:11

Steve Lamacq Show - Roundtable reviewing new music by Elbow Broken Hands & blur on now, starting with Elbow

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 30 Apr 2015, 17:17

thanks for the heads up

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 30 Apr 2015, 17:17

Levitz wrote:Steve Lamacq Show - Roundtable reviewing new music by Elbow Broken Hands & blur on now, starting with Elbow
Thanks for the heads-up.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 30 Apr 2015, 17:18

I think that's pretty much it with the professional reviews now. If there are any more that you want me to put on the first post, let me know!

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 30 Apr 2015, 17:49

ice cream man sounds great on the radio

Levitz

Post by Levitz » 30 Apr 2015, 17:53

elasticaman wrote:ice cream man sounds great on the radio
Was thinking the same

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 30 Apr 2015, 17:58

and mirror ball does not sound good on the radio haha, feels like its being played at half speed

Miki

Post by Miki » 30 Apr 2015, 18:04

He's So High wrote:I think that's pretty much it with the professional reviews now. If there are any more that you want me to put on the first post, let me know!
I posted the link to the one on Billboard a couple of pages back, but maybe you missed it?

In case, here it is again http://www.billboard.com/articles/revie ... bum-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...