The Magic Whip Reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

peterstillman

Re: The Magic Whip Reviews

Post by peterstillman » 29 Apr 2015, 19:16

Sledge Hammer wrote:
peterstillman wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:I Broadcast is awesome and is EXACTLY what the album needs...

Pandering to fans who want Popscene over and over...
What an idiotic thing to say...I could list a load of slow songs and say that New World Towers and My Terracotta Heart are pandering to "Best Days" fans :o

Except those songs don't sound very alike??

The album as a whole has a pretty different feel to earlier records, I would just like it more if it fully embraced that, without feeling the need to put a punky one here and a singalong there.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 29 Apr 2015, 19:18

101reykjavik wrote:Are you suggesting Popscene fans are shallow?
I am a Popscene fan.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Apr 2015, 19:21

Fair enough, you'd prefer a more cohesive sound throughout. I personally prefer the album to change pace and moods. But anyway...

I don't know why you seem to view Ong Ong or I Broadcast as a sop to idiot fans. Songs of that nature have always been part of their DNA. Why would they abandon them now?

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 29 Apr 2015, 19:24

to pamper to snobbish fans?? :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Apr 2015, 19:26

sara-m-a wrote:to pamper to snobbish fans?? :lol:
:lol:

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 29 Apr 2015, 19:26

My Terracotta Heart is also one of my favourites. I love the ambience and mood and I find the lyrics really evocative.

I would say I Broadcast is the weakest on the album. I think it lacks the punch it needed and (sorry Damon) I dislike the vocals on it. It also feels like a bit of a throwback and, for me anyway, it doesn't compare well to other similar songs by the band like Popscene, Jubilee, Movin' on.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 29 Apr 2015, 19:29

101reykjavik wrote:Fair enough, you'd prefer a more cohesive sound throughout. I personally prefer the album to change pace and moods. But anyway...

I don't know why you seem to view Ong Ong or I Broadcast as a sop to idiot fans. Songs of that nature have always been part of their DNA. Why would they abandon them now?
I was half joking when I said that and I don't think they are idiot fans.

I know exactly what you are saying and partly I agree with you, I always loved that the records were all over the place but hung together so well. Maybe I'm just getting old :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Apr 2015, 19:37

Like I said, that's fair enough. Personally I think it would make the album feel too sedate and elder statesman-like, but then contrary to you, maybe I have juvenile taste instead. :D

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 29 Apr 2015, 20:49

Man, the sheer variety of different opinions on this forum is mind-blowing. We don't seem to agree on anything other than the fact that the album is great.

- My Terracotta Heart is my favorite song, Tom thinks it's the weakest
- I view Ice Cream Man as the weakest track, Tom thinks it's one of the best and that it should be a single
- Sean thinks Ong Ong is rudimentary and doesn't fit after Pyongyang, I feel the complete opposite
- Styopa dislikes the vocals on I Broadcast, I love them

Just a few examples... :mrgreen:

Sean

Post by Sean » 29 Apr 2015, 21:18

Rubi wrote: - Sean thinks Ong Ong is rudimentary and doesn't fit after Pyongyang, I feel the complete opposite
No mate, I do think it fits after Ong Ong. What I said was I think its main purpose is to lighten the mood after Pyongyang, before we finish on a heavy-ish note with Mirrorball. I think its placement is spot on and it works "in the context of the album". As a standalone song I don't think it's up to much...which is why I was disappointed they did it on Jools as I felt they sold themselves a bit short.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 29 Apr 2015, 21:21

Sean wrote:
Rubi wrote: - Sean thinks Ong Ong is rudimentary and doesn't fit after Pyongyang, I feel the complete opposite
No mate, I do think it fits after Ong Ong. What I said was I think its main purpose is to lighten the mood after Pyongyang, before we finish on a heavy-ish note with Mirrorball. I think its placement is spot on and it works "in the context of the album". As a standalone song I don't think it's up to much...which is why I was disappointed they did it on Jools as I felt they sold themselves a bit short.
Oh, my bad then. But I still think it's a great stand-alone song, so... :D

Sean

Post by Sean » 29 Apr 2015, 21:28

Rubi wrote:
Sean wrote:
Oh, my bad then. But I still think it's a great stand-alone song, so... :D
You're right though it is a bit, the wildly varying opinions. I think, if anything, the even-ish spread of favourite songs among the fans shows what a strong album it is. Most people have differing top 3s etc...one fan's favourite is another fan's least favourite.

I can't make my mind up about My Terracotta Heart. At first I thought it was the weakest slowie on the album....Damon by numbers. Slightly dreary melody in the verses....but I've found it a huge grower and (as is usually the case for me) by the time Graham gets to work with that lovely solo, I find myself loving the track.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

thespider

Post by thespider » 29 Apr 2015, 23:00

Re.: I Broadcast. I like it but I think it could have reslly benefited from a heavier guitar sound. The bits when Graham's doing the riff would be so much better with a bit more oomph.

My favourite track so far is Pyongyang. Absolute brilliant, a definite classic.

Miki

Post by Miki » 29 Apr 2015, 23:31

The last four songs on the album are my favourites, which makes for a nice crescendo to the closure of the album for me.

Ghost Ship and Mirrorball top it.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

munch

Post by munch » 30 Apr 2015, 07:18

Sean wrote:
I agree a bit. Apart from when you're feeling really down Ong Ong can still work as a stand alone.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man