The Magic Whip Reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: The Magic Whip Reviews

Post by Rubi » 28 Apr 2015, 16:58

WillTrow wrote:Lets be honest here, the album is a 7/10. The pitchfork guy may not be well suited to the genre but he's laid out why he gave it what he did, and it's hard to argue with him. The higher scores are welcome but are probably too generous, going on provenance and "my god theyre back!", and the low scores are people trying to jump off the hysteria bandwagon and be all holier than thou.

For an album jammed out in a week, its fantastic. But its a 7.
It's a 7 because, why exactly? I personally give it a 9, but that's maybe part of the fanboy in me being too ecstatic, although I do really think it's a brilliant record. But from a purely critique's point of view, 7 is simply too low. It implies the album is above average, and by no means TMW is just that. It captures the brilliance of the band's songwriting in every song, it offers no weak links and a sheer variety of sounds that make the whole listening experience even more rewarding.

I know we're talking numbers at the end of the day, but it's the review itself which doesn't do justice to the record. It's badly-written, full of contradictions and to add even more insult to injury, it was composed by somebody who reviews rap music for crying out loud! You can tell why it's so completely out-of-place. Go read Lindsay Zoladz's piece and you'll understand how inappropriate Pitchfork's review shapes up in comparison. And she didn't give it a rating!

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 28 Apr 2015, 17:25

Rubi wrote: It's a 7 because, why exactly? I personally give it a 9, but that's maybe part of the fanboy in me being too ecstatic, although I do really think it's a brilliant record. But from a purely critique's point of view, 7 is simply too low. It implies the album is above average, and by no means TMW is just that. It captures the brilliance of the band's songwriting in every song, it offers no weak links and a sheer variety of sounds that make the whole listening experience even more rewarding.

I know we're talking numbers at the end of the day, but it's the review itself which doesn't do justice to the record. It's badly-written, full of contradictions and to add even more insult to injury, it was composed by somebody who reviews rap music for crying out loud! You can tell why it's so completely out-of-place. Go read Lindsay Zoladz's piece and you'll understand how inappropriate Pitchfork's review shapes up in comparison. And she didn't give it a rating!
I suppose you can't have an opinion if you like rap music??

If you were being purely subjective you would also be picking apart the positive reviews. If a positive review picks out Ong Ong as the highlight thats fine, if the record gets a slightly negative review they called out for saying Ong Ong is the highlight, and they can't possibly know what they are talking about!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Apr 2015, 17:29

Sorry but someone who mainly focuses on rap should NOT be reviewing The Magic Whip. It's like someone who focuses on metal reviewing a jazz album. Ridiculous!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 28 Apr 2015, 17:48

I love rap music but that review can still fuck right off. As I've said earlier, there's been a load of great albums praised by practically EVERYONE...but dismissed or in this case just given a lukewarm review. Pitchfork are weird. I don't understand the logic of some of their ratings. They gave the first Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip album 0.2/10. I thought it was good/not amazing myself. 0.2 though?! Ridiculous. Or as another example: Yeezus by Kanye West. A fine album, which I loved quite a bit: 9.5/10. Please. It's a solid 8 that one. Also, Sugababes and Girls Aloud albums have both been given ratings of 8.5/10. Granted I haven't heard either album's properly but... :?

In short, take Pitchfork with a ton of salt.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 28 Apr 2015, 17:54

peterstillman wrote:I suppose you can't have an opinion if you like rap music??

If you were being purely subjective you would also be picking apart the positive reviews. If a positive review picks out Ong Ong as the highlight thats fine, if the record gets a slightly negative review they called out for saying Ong Ong is the highlight, and they can't possibly know what they are talking about!
Of course he can have an opinion, or two, but that doesn't make him qualified to review an album like TMW for such a major publication. Let's try and be coherent here.

And I haven't personally read any positive reviews which claimed Ong Ong to be the album's highlight, so I can't say anything in that regard.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 28 Apr 2015, 17:58

No one is saying it's the last word, revise all opinions based on this review! It's one blokes opinion, take it or leave it. I don't believe there is some hidden agenda, he gave it a 7, which although I don't agree with a word he wrote is probably how I would rate it if pushed.

peterstillman

Post by peterstillman » 28 Apr 2015, 18:01

Rubi wrote:
Of course he can have an opinion, or two, but that doesn't make him qualified to review an album like TMW for such a major publication. Let's try and be coherent here.

And I haven't personally read any positive reviews which claimed Ong Ong to be the album's highlight, so I can't say anything in that regard.
Would you question his ability if he had given it a 9?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 28 Apr 2015, 18:03

peterstillman wrote:No one is saying it's the last word, revise all opinions based on this review! It's one blokes opinion, take it or leave it. I don't believe there is some hidden agenda, he gave it a 7, which although I don't agree with a word he wrote is probably how I would rate it if pushed.
Yes, it's just an opinion, and frankly speaking an opinion I don't give a rat's ass about, not only due to the person behind the review, but mainly because I dislike Pitchfork and never take them seriously.

But that's why I said earlier that we're only talking numbers at the end of day. For me a 7 is low, but I can accept that as long as the review is decent enough to justify said rating. Pitchfork's review, frankly speaking, is shit. End of.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 28 Apr 2015, 18:08

peterstillman wrote:
Rubi wrote:Of course he can have an opinion, or two, but that doesn't make him qualified to review an album like TMW for such a major publication. Let's try and be coherent here.

Would you question his ability if he had given it a 9?
That would also depend on the content of the review.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 28 Apr 2015, 18:10

7 is hardly low. if i released an album and it got a 7 id be pretty pleased with that

dannnn

Post by dannnn » 28 Apr 2015, 18:41

All along I thought the Pitchfork review was 7.0/100.0.... Which would match the write up.

On reflection, not bad!

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 28 Apr 2015, 18:46

dannnn wrote:All along I thought the Pitchfork review was 7.0/100.0.... Which would match the write up.

On reflection, not bad!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 28 Apr 2015, 18:49

I thought 7 meant 8.9 in Pitchforkese? ;)

dannnn

Post by dannnn » 28 Apr 2015, 18:54

A few more things to note about the Pitchfork review:

(1) I love rap music personally (gangstar) but If this guy is a rap fan I can't help but think back to my mates in the 90s who liked rap and thought all indie music sounded the same.

(2) I never heard of Pitchfork up until last week and have got caught up in the hysteria :D

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Apr 2015, 19:04

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-magic ... 0002828068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Allmusic have posted their review now (previously it was just the rating) and Stephen Thomas Erlewine is the reviewer.