The Magic Whip Reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

thespider

Re: The Magic Whip Reviews

Post by thespider » 30 Mar 2015, 13:53

it's the best album they've done called that's called "Think Tank". That's about it :D

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Mar 2015, 14:47

I remember them saying the same thing although I think Damon clarified that after each album they've done, they always see that as their best.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 30 Mar 2015, 14:53

ricj wrote:
Rubi wrote:I might be wrong, but I remember either Damon or Alex saying Think Tank was going to be their best album prior to release.
Yeah even in his book Alex says it's the best thing they've ever done..!
Well, Alex also wrote in his book Bit of a Blur that MLIR is their Masterpice ("Opera Prima", "Magna Opera" or something like that).
tom_cas1 wrote:I remember them saying the same thing although I think Damon clarified that after each album they've done, they always see that as their best.
Exactly.

simon james

Post by simon james » 30 Mar 2015, 16:04

I think 4 stars for Q/Mojo could be a blessing I disguise. I remember Q giving Plastic Beach 5 stars. Saying best album of the year material. :lol: I'm sure I read one article saying that the magic whip didn't have any hits on it?? I think that when they have to review albums they must only listen to them about a couple of times. You have to give blur albums at least 50 listens before you really know it! ;)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 30 Mar 2015, 18:30

simon james wrote:I remember Q giving Plastic Beach 5 stars. Saying best album of the year material. :lol:
Well, they were right.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 30 Mar 2015, 20:13

Rubi wrote:
simon james wrote:I remember Q giving Plastic Beach 5 stars. Saying best album of the year material. :lol:
Well, they were right.
Seconded! Great album, very under-rated. (Except by Q! :-))

tchucco

Post by tchucco » 30 Mar 2015, 20:32

JAIME wrote:
ricj wrote:
Rubi wrote:I might be wrong, but I remember either Damon or Alex saying Think Tank was going to be their best album prior to release.
Yeah even in his book Alex says it's the best thing they've ever done..!
Well, Alex also wrote in his book Bit of a Blur that MLIR is their Masterpice ("Opera Prima", "Magna Opera" or something like that).
tom_cas1 wrote:I remember them saying the same thing although I think Damon clarified that after each album they've done, they always see that as their best.
Exactly.
I don't know if they always say their lastest album is their best, but Alex did say this about the Magic Whip on an interview:
"Most importantly I think this album is much, much better than our previous offering, Tory Think Tank."

link: http://www.bitemywire.com/news/2015/2/2 ... alex-james" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 30 Mar 2015, 20:47

^I started off thinking that was serious!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Mar 2015, 21:03

Rubi wrote:
Well, they were right.
3 star at most. My ratings would be:

Gorillaz: 4 stars
Demon Days: 5 stars
Plastic Beach: 3 stars
The Fall: 2 stars
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

simon james

Post by simon james » 31 Mar 2015, 08:38

What I meant about Plastic Beach was It wasn't a commercial success. Hardly was in the charts. The 5 stars that Q gave it was a kiss of death.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 31 Mar 2015, 09:09

simon james wrote:What I meant about Plastic Beach was It wasn't a commercial success. Hardly was in the charts. The 5 stars that Q gave it was a kiss of death.
The least best selling of the three proper Gorillas albums but it still went 'platinum' in the UK (i.e. over 300,000).
That's the same as 'Blur' and '13', and better than Modern Life and Leisure.
So, I'd say it was a moderate commercial success...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 31 Mar 2015, 09:47

Plastic Beach was poorly promoted. After Stylo was released in January, they didn't release a single official single until July (and the album came out in March). They were trying to construct a compelling story with the videos, but failed miserably at it.

Rhinestone Eyes should have been released prior to the album. It would have received massive radio airplay and attention.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 31 Mar 2015, 10:08

Daysleeper wrote:
Rubi wrote:
Well, they were right.
Seconded! Great album, very under-rated. (Except by Q! :-))
Thirded.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 31 Mar 2015, 10:34

I think I might prefer it to the first album... *Ducks head*

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 31 Mar 2015, 10:35

101reykjavik wrote:I think I might prefer it to the first album... *Ducks head*
I do, even though I love the first album as well.