The Magic Whip Reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

He's So High

Re: The Magic Whip Reviews

Post by He's So High » 27 Mar 2015, 14:31

I didn't know John Harris still did music reviews, I thought he was just writing on politics these days. I'm not sure whether this would make him more generous/critical, but he's quite a big Blur fan, isn't he?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Mar 2015, 14:43

I think he is quite a Blur fan, yes. Maybe that's what coaxed him out to do this review.

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 27 Mar 2015, 14:57

He's So High wrote:Since a few people mentioned it in the main thread, I thought I start one especially devoted to it.
I added the verdicts from Mojo and Q to your first post of this thread.

(In the future, I may change the formatting to the same as on the Everyday Robots reviews thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1606)

Q wrote: ...tracks as amorphous and fuzzy as ITIWAS and TATMOU - these two are less fully-realised songs than atmospheric explorations of a single musical idea, lacking any moment of real lift off
Ha! That's what I thought at the first few listens of TATMOU, but now I think it's a very cohesive track and has many musical "lift offs". Just listen to it more carefully.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Mar 2015, 15:37

Well, two 4/5 so far isn't bad. I don't expected the album to be blasted with perfect reviews.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 27 Mar 2015, 17:52

Rubi wrote:Well, two 4/5 so far isn't bad. I don't expected the album to be blasted with perfect reviews.
Yes, I think a few of us might have got a bit over-excited. Not everyone loves Blur in the way we do. I still don't think anyone will absolutely slate it; probably an average of about 4 stars.

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 27 Mar 2015, 18:11

He's So High wrote:Yes, I think a few of us might have got a bit over-excited. Not everyone loves Blur in the way we do. I still don't think anyone will absolutely slate it; probably an average of about 4 stars.
Agreed, I think it'll land somewhere between a 75 and 80 on metacritic. Reviews don't matter all that much though, especially when it comes to Blur. Remember, critics initially killed 13 and adored Think Tank. Sometimes it takes years to really sort this stuff out.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 27 Mar 2015, 18:45

And obviously don't forget The Great Escape. It was given amazing critical coverage when it was first released, then when the press decided Oasis were the cooler band ( :lol: ) it was the worst thing in the world. The reality is no doubt somewhere in the middle!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Mar 2015, 19:23

What a load of bollocks.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 27 Mar 2015, 20:56

northernmonkey wrote:Oh and by the way I love Mr Robinsons Quango :)
Likewise, great song and the outro is amazing.

I would say the problem with The Great Escape is more songs like Ernold Same and Topman.

I love the album though!

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 27 Mar 2015, 21:15

Daysleeper wrote:

I would say the problem with The Great Escape is more songs like Ernold Same and Topman.

I love the album though!

We take top man and put no monsters in me, replace ernold same with ultranol and tame, then we get ourselves a masterpiece

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 27 Mar 2015, 21:30

sara-m-a wrote:
Daysleeper wrote:

I love the album though!

We take top man and put no monsters in me, replace ernold same with ultranol and tame, then we get ourselves a masterpiece
Ha, the version I have made myself of the album has No monsters in me in for Topman, The man who left himself in for Ernold same and Tame in for Dan Abnormal. Ultranol is a great song too though!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Mar 2015, 22:03

I think Tame was recorded after the album was released. Could be wrong, though.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 27 Mar 2015, 22:09

no, i think you are right. if you listen to the b-sides you can tell they were recorded after, since they have a sound more leaning toward the american sound of the self titled album. there is a reason why those songs are better than some of the stuff on the great escape. This was the case for Leisure b-sides too
I could be completely wrong though
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 27 Mar 2015, 22:29

metalhipslop wrote:no, i think you are right. if you listen to the b-sides you can tell they were recorded after, since they have a sound more leaning toward the american sound of the self titled album. there is a reason why those songs are better than some of the stuff on the great escape. This was the case for Leisure b-sides too
I could be completely wrong though
the leisure singles were all released before the album (a practice that I highly endorse).
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tender

Post by tender » 27 Mar 2015, 22:57

101reykjavik wrote:
''...tracks as amorphous and fuzzy as ITIWAS and TATMOU - these two are less fully-realised songs than atmospheric explorations of a single musical idea, lacking any moment of real lift off - a sign, perhaps, of studio-time having simply run out.' Hmmm... we've heard TATMOU and not sure I agree, so leaves me sceptical of his opinion of Spaceman too.
What! I´m in shock about those comments, seriously think those two are highlights of TMW !!!

but what do I know, I´m just a fan :roll:

Sometimes I wonder who are more difficult to please music critics or fans , don´t know if tweedz has an answer to that one ;)