Lonesome Street

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

devoiced

Re: Lonesome Street

Post by devoiced » 23 Mar 2015, 08:37

from facebook:
"the third and final track from The Magic Whip to be made available before release on April 27th, it's called Lonesome Street,(...)We will be posting the official video for the track soon, so keep your eyes peeled…"
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

munch

Post by munch » 23 Mar 2015, 08:43

Caitlin wrote:Wowwwwww I know I'm going to be pretty much the only one saying it but that song does absolutely NOTHING for me. I didn't even get to the end before I turned it off??? Other two are much better. Go Out makes me play stabby angry air guitar whenever I hear it. This just made me shrug.
I don't like it as much as the other two. But I still enjoy it. Oh yeah, if anyone's noticed the inconsistent notions of me saying i won't listen and then commenting on stuff. I caved...
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 23 Mar 2015, 08:49

Caitlin wrote:Wowwwwww I know I'm going to be pretty much the only one saying it but that song does absolutely NOTHING for me. I didn't even get to the end before I turned it off??? Other two are much better. Go Out makes me play stabby angry air guitar whenever I hear it. This just made me shrug.
I'm with you on this one. It didn't do anything for me on first listen.

I hope it grows on me, but I can't see it being one of my favourites. Its the first one that sounds like Blur treading old water to me.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Mar 2015, 08:52

munch wrote:
I don't like it as much as the other two. But I still enjoy it. Oh yeah, if anyone's noticed the inconsistent notions of me saying i won't listen and then commenting on stuff. I caved...
Each to their own - it's my favourite so far. :D They've got stronger for me with each one.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 23 Mar 2015, 08:58

Don't really know how this is gonna fit as an opener. It's a good song and Damon's vocals are great, he sounds so young! But not so sure about its potential as a single, Ong Ong should've been the choice.

JamesVictorTravis

Post by JamesVictorTravis » 23 Mar 2015, 08:58

Quite a pleasant track. An enjoyable listen, but still not on the same level as most Blur stuff for me. I'm certain this one will be a grower though. I wish the guitar was a bit more... Wire. Something like that. Still, not a bad track for me.
Sunn amps and smashed guitars.

rowley

Post by rowley » 23 Mar 2015, 09:00

They just played it twice on Chris Evans Radio 2

Playing 4 songs live on April 24th on the show.

Salmon

Post by Salmon » 23 Mar 2015, 09:04

I'll never, ever get tired of Albarn/Coxon vocal harmonies. Very glad this is being released as a proper single (with an actual music video, and hopefully a physical release). I've no doubt that the album will be a massive success, but this and Ong Ong have potential to be very successful singles (something that isn't that important anymore, but I'd still like to hear new Blur on the radio everywhere).

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 23 Mar 2015, 09:06

devoiced wrote:from facebook:
"the third and final track from The Magic Whip to be made available before release on April 27th, it's called Lonesome Street,(...)We will be posting the official video for the track soon, so keep your eyes peeled…"
Nice, I'll look forward to that! Also, if this is getting a physical release, Record Store Day is the week before the release. I wonder if a cheeky 7" might drop then?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Mar 2015, 09:12

So, it's been confirmed as the first official single with a music video to be released soon. Hopefully it's something decent and not a half-arsed attempt like with Go Out and TATMoU.

Anyway, the song is a grower. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I still think I prefer the other two tracks to it, but as an album opener it's a winner. And I think it's catchy enough for radio airplay.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Mar 2015, 09:18

Whatever we all think of it (best track, grower, etc etc), I don't think one can argue that it isn't the most commercial of the three, (it sounds most 'Blur'), and perhaps that explains it being released last. Should pick up plenty of airplay, ramp up excitement for the album - bang, 27th April.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 23 Mar 2015, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

munch

Post by munch » 23 Mar 2015, 09:19

yah that's right. It is a good album opener!
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 23 Mar 2015, 09:21

Yeah, it's definitely a grower. Not an immediate hit/album opener a la Beetlebum, For Tomorrow, Tender etc but good enough to be a single.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 23 Mar 2015, 09:23

101reykjavik wrote:Whatever we all think of it (best track, grower, etc etc), I don't think one can argue that it isn't the most commercial of the three, (it sounds most 'Blur'), and perhaps that explains it being released last. Should pick up plenty of airplay, ramp up excitement for the album - bang, 27th April.
Well, it isn't the catchiest but it certainly does sound a lot like old Blur, which could explain the fact that it's gonna be a single. I still think that Ong Ong would've made a hell of a first single though.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Mar 2015, 09:26

Just goes to show how music is SO subjective. Most of us downloading it last night seemed to be 'getting' this song immediately. Damn well sounds catchy to me. :D