There Are Too Many Of Us

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Jensen
Posts: 500
Joined: 21 Feb 2015, 22:18

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Jensen » 20 Mar 2015, 11:04

At least they appear in the video! :lol:

This was so unexpected! We are sure now it wasn't a leak because they had a video already filmed... Unless this is the song that Dave was going to premiere on monday (which would make sense seeing the importance of drums in this particular song) and they had to change everything.

I also think this song would've fit in Everyday Robots. I'm glad it looks like we'll have so many different sounds in the same album.
Image

Mr Briggs
Posts: 97
Joined: 25 Feb 2015, 14:45
Location: Far Out

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Mr Briggs » 20 Mar 2015, 11:06

daii wrote:nice tribute to Liam in the video! XD
Liam as in Gallagher or am I missing something?

User avatar
daii
Posts: 531
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 12:33
Location: Argentina

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by daii » 20 Mar 2015, 11:10

Mr Briggs wrote:
daii wrote:nice tribute to Liam in the video! XD
Liam as in Gallagher or am I missing something?
yes haha

Image

Missy
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 06:51
Location: Italy

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Missy » 20 Mar 2015, 11:10

Love it!! Loooooove it!!! At first, I was wondering: what is it that? A TANGO?? :lol: But I like the song a lot.

I think it's quite obvious that a Blur's song have points in common with some Gorillaz or Damon's tracks........ All in all it comes from the same person and it's a person who have a strong style definetely grounded in him. For me, this is a plus...it's the Damon's mark, and I looove it.
But in the Blur case, there is also the mark of the other 3, so, it becomes a very different and wonderful thing.........
Welcome back, Blur!!

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1920
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Rubi » 20 Mar 2015, 11:19

Am I the only one who doesn't want more songs out till The Magic Whip is released? Maybe, just maybe one more single, but I don't want to have already listened to 1/4 of the album when it's released.

User avatar
HydeParklife
Posts: 35
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 21:26
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by HydeParklife » 20 Mar 2015, 11:20

Well with the solar eclipse and now discovering this has been released I'm not getting much work done this morning! Great to see the band in the video. Song reminds me a little of something Morrissey might release, probabaly just a combination of the title and the fact he used a march on "At last I am born." Good stuff, expactations officially raised. :P

Sushi
Posts: 134
Joined: 03 Oct 2014, 16:06

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Sushi » 20 Mar 2015, 11:31

I definitely see what people mean about the Everyday Robots similarity. It's not the music; the music is totally blur! It's the upfront message that Damon is trying to get across about the modern world. Honestly, I like his cynicism buried in humor a la "older" Blur, but still, pretty decent track. 8-)

User avatar
JackS
Posts: 455
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:46
Location: London

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by JackS » 20 Mar 2015, 11:32

This really does put The Puritan to shame, doesn't it?

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 Mar 2015, 11:37

HydeParklife wrote:Well with the solar eclipse and now discovering this has been released I'm not getting much work done this morning! Great to see the band in the video. Song reminds me a little of something Morrissey might release, probabaly just a combination of the title and the fact he used a march on "At last I am born." Good stuff, expactations officially raised. :P
No, me too! In the car park at work earlier with my two bits of card looking at the eclipse and now all the excitement continues about this too. I think if I had had tickets to the secret show tonight too I might have exploded with excitement.

I really think the whole 'sounds like Gorillaz' thing is interesting. I listened to it earlier for the first time and that was my first reaction too, but I think that's only due to

a. Damon is the sole voice on the track (no Graham)
b. Damon is in his slightly tuned out, detached vocal style a la 2D. Someone on Roundtable said to Lamacq last week on the Go Out review that Damon has two default settings these days - a snarly vocal like on Go Out, and the aforementioned zoned out style. Not sure I agree, just passing on the observation.

But beyond those vocal stylings, and having heard it a bit more, I think this is distinctly Blur. It has Graham, certainly later in the track, it has LOADS of Dave (which is great) and okay, could do with a bit more of Alex's basslines on some other tracks on the album. But we've still got another 10 tracks to go, so plenty of opportunity for them to have covered off a host of other styles / moods, and I'm confident they will. They are mature musicians with a wealth of influences and experiences to draw upon, so even in that truncated time in Hong Kong, I reckon they will have developed lots of different ideas and sounds.

And I'm genuinely surprised and happy to see they are in the video this time. It might be a pretty home made affair, but that's okay. The whole vibe of The Magic Whip is one of stuff appearing suddenly out of nowhere. Like they said, they had no idea if they even had an album until the last minute, so all this stuff is coming about pretty late and very organically I'd say. Makes it pretty interesting really.
Image

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1920
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Rubi » 20 Mar 2015, 11:40

JackS wrote:This really does put The Puritan to shame, doesn't it?
I was thinking the same. :D

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7045
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Mar 2015, 11:47

I listened to the song while watching the eclipse 8-)
Image

Jensen
Posts: 500
Joined: 21 Feb 2015, 22:18

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by Jensen » 20 Mar 2015, 11:49

TripleJay97 wrote:
munch wrote:haha the video is so cheap. but i like it
They probably made it this morning, when they noticed the leak :lol:
This was spot on :lol:
Image

User avatar
HydeParklife
Posts: 35
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 21:26
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by HydeParklife » 20 Mar 2015, 11:52

101reykjavik wrote:
HydeParklife wrote:Well with the solar eclipse and now discovering this has been released I'm not getting much work done this morning! Great to see the band in the video. Song reminds me a little of something Morrissey might release, probabaly just a combination of the title and the fact he used a march on "At last I am born." Good stuff, expactations officially raised. :P
No, me too! In the car park at work earlier with my two bits of card looking at the eclipse and now all the excitement continues about this too. I think if I had had tickets to the secret show tonight too I might have exploded with excitement.

I really think the whole 'sounds like Gorillaz' thing is interesting. I listened to it earlier for the first time and that was my first reaction too, but I think that's only due to

a. Damon is the sole voice on the track (no Graham)
b. Damon is in his slightly tuned out, detached vocal style a la 2D. Someone on Roundtable said to Lamacq last week on the Go Out review that Damon has two default settings these days - a snarly vocal like on Go Out, and the aforementioned zoned out style. Not sure I agree, just passing on the observation.

But beyond those vocal stylings, and having heard it a bit more, I think this is distinctly Blur. It has Graham, certainly later in the track, it has LOADS of Dave (which is great) and okay, could do with a bit more of Alex's basslines on some other tracks on the album. But we've still got another 10 tracks to go, so plenty of opportunity for them to have covered off a host of other styles / moods, and I'm confident they will. They are mature musicians with a wealth of influences and experiences to draw upon, so even in that truncated time in Hong Kong, I reckon they will have developed lots of different ideas and sounds.

And I'm genuinely surprised and happy to see they are in the video this time. It might be a pretty home made affair, but that's okay. The whole vibe of The Magic Whip is one of stuff appearing suddenly out of nowhere. Like they said, they had no idea if they even had an album until the last minute, so all this stuff is coming about pretty late and very organically I'd say. Makes it pretty interesting really.
Haha, yes I failed on tickets too, I guess that is the way to look at it, at least we're getting some sort of Blur fix for the day! I kept forgetting to not look at the sun so I will make the most of my eyesight whilst it lasts. Actually your username reminds me I need to watch that film before heading to Reykjavik over Easter. I know there is the bar that Damon owns/owned but it would be good to know if there is anything else Blur related still there.

User avatar
devoiced
Posts: 51
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 14:32
Location: Wuppertal, Germany

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by devoiced » 20 Mar 2015, 11:52

I missed the solar eclipse(which was mostly obscured by clouds anyway) because I was repeatedly watching their cheap music video. Screw you Sun, you're boring... -.-
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

User avatar
munch
Posts: 1208
Joined: 24 Sep 2014, 12:14

Re: There Are Too Many Of Us

Post by munch » 20 Mar 2015, 11:53

daii wrote:nice tribute to Liam in the video! XD
I definitely saw the similarity but i'm sure it's not deliberate :P
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
Image
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Post Reply