13 turns 16!!

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

13 turns 16!!

Post by JAIME » 15 Mar 2015, 15:15

"13" Album turns 16 today!!

Any thoughts, memories, comments, etc about it?

I listened for the 1rst time in April 1999, and I was kind of shocked. I must admit that I like this album much more now than in 1999. It's like a good old wine... :P
My favourite songs are Tender, Bugman, 1992, B.L.U.R.E.M.I., Battle, Mellow Song, Trimm Trabb, No distance left to run and Optigan 1.

Full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9Tpd8XFGk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JAIME on 15 Mar 2015, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Rubi

Re: 13 turns 16!!

Post by Rubi » 15 Mar 2015, 15:21

Man, I have such a weird relation with his record. It was the very first Blur album I listened to (albeit I didn't buy it, a friend of mine did). I think it was back in 2003, before Think Tank was released. Until then I had only listened to a bootleg of 20 tracks (mostly Britpop tunes), so I was surprised at how different 13 sounded.

In the years to come, I would consider it my second least favorite Blur album. I used to hate Caramel, and didn't think much of tracks like Battle and Trailerpark. Oh, how things have changed. Now I love it, it will always be in my Top 3 Blur albums ever. Fantastic record!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 15 Mar 2015, 16:26

I recall it being on Late Review on BBC2 and it getting a good reaction but some scepticism too about Blur's strange new direction. I think Alison Pearson rated Battle though. Knows her stuff. :D :lol:

Definitely was a slow burner of an album for me. Tender, Coffee and TV and Trimm Trabb got lots of plays initially I think and the rest started to work its magic over the next few months. Something like 1992 is quite possibly my favourite track on there now.

ricj

Post by ricj » 16 Mar 2015, 10:06

This album was released during my mega-fan' period. I became a fan in 1995 and a bigger fan in 1997 but after taping Glastonbury 1998, watching it to death then buying Starshaped and watching that every week for about a year, I was the biggest fan possible by the time 13 came out. I taped the Hippodrome show off the radio and can clearly remember listening to that on my walkman every day until the album release so by that time I knew the songs (with the exception of Caramel) inside out. The change in direction didn't phase me at all, in fact it was the reason that made me love and respect the band the most. It is still my favourite Blur album overall but for some reason I prefer to listen to the Hippodrome show over the album.

At that time I was still a very skint 17 year old with no means of getting to see the band live but I headed down to Reading festival for my 18th birthday with a bunch of people specifically to see Blur (see my signature pic).

I remember at this time I was intrigued by the fact that they refused to play certain songs that they apparently hated, especially Country House which seemed to have this huge stigma attached to it.. So when Damon announced the singles night at Wembley from the stage at reading I felt like I HAD to go. Unfortunately, my financial and geographical situation dictated otherwise and I was pretty distraught at this fact.

I remember when the best of came out and MIMR and Black Book seemed to suggest that musically and creatively they were unstoppable and I could not wait to hear what the next album would bring. I can still remember the absolute horror of buying that NME in 2002 with the picture of Damon and Graham ripped in two... I loved Think Tank as an album but it was never really a Blur album to me and I literally wasn't able to listen to Blur at all until that happy day in 2008. It is only now, with the news I have been waiting for for the last 15 years that I have been able to become the kind of fan I was in 1999 and have been able to fully immerse myself in all things Blur once again. I have not listened to anything else since.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 16 Mar 2015, 13:22

ricj wrote:This album was released during my mega-fan' period. I became a fan in 1995 and a bigger fan in 1997 but after taping Glastonbury 1998, watching it to death then buying Starshaped and watching that every week for about a year, I was the biggest fan possible by the time 13 came out. I taped the Hippodrome show off the radio and can clearly remember listening to that on my walkman every day until the album release so by that time I knew the songs (with the exception of Caramel) inside out. The change in direction didn't phase me at all, in fact it was the reason that made me love and respect the band the most. It is still my favourite Blur album overall but for some reason I prefer to listen to the Hippodrome show over the album.

At that time I was still a very skint 17 year old with no means of getting to see the band live but I headed down to Reading festival for my 18th birthday with a bunch of people specifically to see Blur (see my signature pic).

I remember at this time I was intrigued by the fact that they refused to play certain songs that they apparently hated, especially Country House which seemed to have this huge stigma attached to it.. So when Damon announced the singles night at Wembley from the stage at reading I felt like I HAD to go. Unfortunately, my financial and geographical situation dictated otherwise and I was pretty distraught at this fact.

I remember when the best of came out and MIMR and Black Book seemed to suggest that musically and creatively they were unstoppable and I could not wait to hear what the next album would bring. I can still remember the absolute horror of buying that NME in 2002 with the picture of Damon and Graham ripped in two... I loved Think Tank as an album but it was never really a Blur album to me and I literally wasn't able to listen to Blur at all until that happy day in 2008. It is only now, with the news I have been waiting for for the last 15 years that I have been able to become the kind of fan I was in 1999 and have been able to fully immerse myself in all things Blur once again. I have not listened to anything else since.
Lovely story ricj. So glad we've all got our Blur back. :D

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 16 Mar 2015, 13:30

It's weird, I love all the songs on 13 but I don't listen to it that often.
It's really long and jammy, if you're taking a long walk it's perfect but otherwise it can be hard to find time for it.
I was listening to my new copy yesterday and I noticed that Optigan 1 cut off abruptly.
I'll have to listen to it on another player to make sure it's not the disc.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 16 Mar 2015, 16:04

Might come back with a longer response later but, until recently where I've just said 'Kid A', this is my favourite album ever.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 16 Mar 2015, 16:13

I remember exactly where I was when I got this album...after waiting with baited breath to hear "Tender" in February 1999 I couldn't wait for the album. I was a 19 and a sophomore in college and got it a few days after it came out, on the Friday of that week. I was waiting for my mum to pick me up to take me home for spring break (only juniors and seniors could have cars on campus in those days) so I'd run down to the record shop downtown (no longer there) in Durham and played as much of it as I could when I got back to my dorm until she showed up. God bless her, she then let me play it in the car all the way home where I proceeded to listen to nothing else for that entire week off. Great times. I can literally still put myself in my dorm room exactly the way it was in 1999 when I first got back and tore the shrinkwrap off to pop it into my stereo. Memories!

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 16 Mar 2015, 17:10

ricj wrote:This album was released during my mega-fan' period. I became a fan in 1995 and a bigger fan in 1997 but after taping Glastonbury 1998, watching it to death then buying Starshaped and watching that every week for about a year, I was the biggest fan possible by the time 13 came out. I taped the Hippodrome show off the radio and can clearly remember listening to that on my walkman every day until the album release so by that time I knew the songs (with the exception of Caramel) inside out. The change in direction didn't phase me at all, in fact it was the reason that made me love and respect the band the most. It is still my favourite Blur album overall but for some reason I prefer to listen to the Hippodrome show over the album.

Love stories like these! Say, does anyone have a picture of that NME cover from 2002? I've never seen it :shock:

JackS

Post by JackS » 16 Mar 2015, 17:21

aldamasta wrote:Say, does anyone have a picture of that NME cover from 2002? I've never seen it :shock:
Had a quick look at Veikko's Articles archive page and couldn't find it, but in the process came across this gem from the NME track-by-track of Think Tank....
NME wrote: Crazy Beat ... Easily Blur's finest moment since 'Song 2'.
:lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 16 Mar 2015, 17:26

JackS wrote:
aldamasta wrote:Say, does anyone have a picture of that NME cover from 2002? I've never seen it :shock:
Had a quick look at Veikko's Articles archive page and couldn't find it, but in the process came across this gem from the NME track-by-track of Think Tank....
NME wrote: Crazy Beat ... Easily Blur's finest moment since 'Song 2'.
:lol:

Good Lord! :shock: Finest moment since Song 2? So, better than Tender, Coffee and TV, Trimm Trabb... well anything from 13 really. Music journalists do make it up as they go along, don't they? :lol:

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 16 Mar 2015, 18:11

These are the same people who loved TGE and hated Morning Glory for the first several months after each were released before they changed their minds...so not surprising in the least, honestly.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Mar 2015, 19:55

Typical NME, wouldn't expect anything less. I do like Crazy Beat (although it's my second least favourite from Think Tank after Gene By Gene) but saying it's the best thing since Song 2 is ludicrous!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 16 Mar 2015, 20:09

Agreed. Crazy Beat isn't half as bad as people make out, although I could do without the duck. But, yeah, way out from the NME.

ricj

Post by ricj » 17 Mar 2015, 00:01

Crazy Beat is good! I like the drum fills best.