Secret London gig, 20 March 2015 (stream on March 25)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Daysleeper

Re: Secret London gig, March 20 (stream on March 25)

Post by Daysleeper » 25 Mar 2015, 22:29

Yeah, to me it implied Damon wrote the lyrics.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Mar 2015, 22:30

Miki wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:
Miki wrote:For the record My Terracotta Heart was written by Graham.
He wrote a song about himself ? :P
No, he wrote it about Damon.

In his track by track guide to 'The Magic Whip' for NME, Coxon explained that the track 'My Terracotta Heart' was about his relationship with Albarn.

He admitted: "I knew it was going to be an incredibly sad song, which is why I put the crying guitar on there. What I didn't know at the time was that the lyrics would turn out to be about Damon and I, our long-term friendship and the ups and downs we’ve had."

http://www.nme.com/news/blur/83904
I think he meant he wrote sad guitar for it and Damon ended up writing lyrics about his and Graham's relationships
Rubi wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:
Rubi wrote:I didn't get the feeling of this sounding like Damon solo, not even once. The contribution of every single member was too evident. Just because Damon seems to have focused on a specific way of singing lately (more lyrical and poetic) and a few tracks had a minimalistic approach doesn't mean anything.
Not even the finger picking in Terracotta Heart? He uses the exact same thing on his solo stuff
Oh noes, he finger picks in My Terracotta Heart! I guess that completely overshadows Graham's brilliant guitar bits or any contribution from the rest. Yeah, it's Damon solo, what am I saying... :roll:
I'm just saying the guitar finger picking he does reminds me of his solo stuff. Just like Graham's guitar reminds me some of his solo record.
Copy and paste what I said to Leah on another page which sums up my point
Leahscarlet2 wrote:
"It was really really good but I think it sounds more like damons solo stuff than blur"

Definitely has elements of that. Damon has been putting out amazing records on his own since the last blur record so glad there are some hints of TBTQ, Gorillaz, and Everyday Robots. A lot of the music (especially Mirrorball) sounds like music from a Graham solo record. It sounds like Blur but they are still evolving as a band and yet again are putting out a record that sounds different from their last but it's still Blur. instead of every song sounding like them "going back to the classic style". Like Lonesome Street (amazing song, just trying to make a point)
Blur are the masters of different styles and sounds. One in a million band!

I don't care if you disagree, but it's what I think and don't understand why you get upset if somebody thinks these songs remind them of Damon's solo stuff.
Last edited by metalhipslop on 25 Mar 2015, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 25 Mar 2015, 22:31

^
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Miki

Post by Miki » 25 Mar 2015, 22:31

Either way, Graham wrote the music. I was trying to get at the "It sounds like an ER song". It's curious, because it does, but Damon didn't write the music.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 25 Mar 2015, 22:32

davidsutter wrote:And once again sorry about the bandwidth, Veikko! :lol:
No worries, the site is now at around 50% of the max. allowed bandwidth... and the forum doesn't have much to do with it, it's the Google Image search that steals most of the bandwidth.

Miki

Post by Miki » 25 Mar 2015, 22:36

I really love Ong Ong :D

BigFitz

Post by BigFitz » 25 Mar 2015, 22:39

Hoped for some melodica. Ah well.
All I want to be is washed out by the sea.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 25 Mar 2015, 22:42

Does anyone know the words to My terracotta heart and would be kind enough to post them? (or at least parts of them) I don't understand everything. Thanks :)

mjd180

Post by mjd180 » 25 Mar 2015, 22:47

Miki wrote:Either way, Graham wrote the music. I was trying to get at the "It sounds like an ER song". It's curious, because it does, but Damon didn't write the music.
How do you know Damon didn't also write the most of the music for the song, and that Graham is simply talking about his contribution to it?

Sean

Post by Sean » 25 Mar 2015, 22:48

Bloody hell Pyongyang is good.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Mar 2015, 22:50

Yeah, the older Damon gets the more he sounds like Scott Walker and David Bowie
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Mar 2015, 22:51

I'm gutted that we missed out on Ice Cream Man and Ghost Ship. Both incredible songs.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

tender

Post by tender » 25 Mar 2015, 22:51

Sean wrote:Bloody hell Pyongyang is good.
I have yet to find a fault on this record, I like some songs more than others but there is not one that I dislike and I´ve yet to get the record on my hands! O_O

Miki

Post by Miki » 25 Mar 2015, 22:56

mjd180 wrote:
Miki wrote:Either way, Graham wrote the music. I was trying to get at the "It sounds like an ER song". It's curious, because it does, but Damon didn't write the music.
How do you know Damon didn't also write the most of the music for the song, and that Graham is simply talking about his contribution to it?
Perhaps I misunderstood what Graham said. I took it as he wrote the song.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 25 Mar 2015, 23:03

metalhipslop wrote:I'm just saying the guitar finger picking he does reminds me of his solo stuff. Just like Graham's guitar reminds me some of his solo record.
Copy and paste what I said to Leah on another page which sums up my point
Leahscarlet2 wrote:
"It was really really good but I think it sounds more like damons solo stuff than blur"

Definitely has elements of that. Damon has been putting out amazing records on his own since the last blur record so glad there are some hints of TBTQ, Gorillaz, and Everyday Robots. A lot of the music (especially Mirrorball) sounds like music from a Graham solo record. It sounds like Blur but they are still evolving as a band and yet again are putting out a record that sounds different from their last but it's still Blur. instead of every song sounding like them "going back to the classic style". Like Lonesome Street (amazing song, just trying to make a point)
Blur are the masters of different styles and sounds. One in a million band!

I don't care if you disagree, but it's what I think and don't understand why you get upset if somebody thinks these songs remind them of Damon's solo stuff.
Because "it sounds like solo Damon" and "it reminds me of solo Damon" are two completely different things. Yes, there are many elements in the album that can also be found in GBQ or Everyday Robots, just like some of the guitar work by Graham (particularly on Go Out) reminds me of A+E (and I've said this more than once). But the album is a pure, heartfelt 4-piece effort. The contribution of every member is too clear and evident.