Secret London gig, 20 March 2015 (stream on March 25)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: The Magic Whip Tour

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Mar 2015, 13:26

Blurcast wrote:Urghh. Another prize draw entry. I miss the days of the fan club where you received a slip of paper in the post with a phone number and a password. Now it's just a free for all with thousands of other people on an open mailing list. Good luck everyone!

Yup. And not to be elitist or anything, but at least in the fan club days, the band knew 99% of the small audience for those special gigs were the hardcores who paid $ to be in the fanclub. Nowadays it can be anyone from a casual fan to one of Graham's legion of psycho stalker fangirls, and everyone in between.

(I'll just drop my *GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!* and be done with this old fart sniping :lol: )
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Mar 2015, 13:28

Yeah, I know what you mean MrMagpie. I guess I'm in danger of sounding like I don't think other people are worthy of being there, which is of course silly. Still, it's nice to be able to treat your most loyal fans in some way, especially when other gigs / a tour of some description will be available.
Image

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Mar 2015, 13:39

101reykjavik wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean MrMagpie. I guess I'm in danger of sounding like I don't think other people are worthy of being there, which is of course silly. Still, it's nice to be able to treat your most loyal fans in some way, especially when other gigs / a tour of some description will be available.
BINGO! :!:
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
munch
Posts: 1208
Joined: 24 Sep 2014, 12:14

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by munch » 13 Mar 2015, 15:09

Thing that bugs me about this gig is we'll be hearing the songs for the first time. So the studio album, with a lot of work put into it will no longer sound as refreshing.
(unless you avoid the stream at all costs)
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
Image
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Missy
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 06:51
Location: Italy

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by Missy » 13 Mar 2015, 15:23

I've received the mail from Blur website, but i'm not applying, too hard find flights with decent cost so near the date.
I'm saving for others gigs: I'm going to fly to England to see them, but not for Hyde Park, I'm waiting for other gigs.
I hope too someone can register the streaming, it would be very much appreciated!! ;)

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Mar 2015, 15:38

munch wrote:Thing that bugs me about this gig is we'll be hearing the songs for the first time. So the studio album, with a lot of work put into it will no longer sound as refreshing.
(unless you avoid the stream at all costs)
Eh, I don't think it's that big a deal. Bands used to preview new material months or years before it showed up on albums...the Who, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Rush, the Smiths, R.E.M., and yes, even Blur (among many more). It's just that unless you were AT the concert, you didn't hear it until the record came out. In today's instant online world of information, that'll never be the case.
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Mar 2015, 16:13

Easy enough to avoid the live stream if you prefer so I don't see the problem. Whether one has the willpower to do that is another matter of course.

In an ideal world, I'll be there to hear the songs about a month early whilst grinning like an idiot at Graham. :D
Image

User avatar
JackS
Posts: 455
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:46
Location: London

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by JackS » 13 Mar 2015, 16:38

MrMagpie wrote:
munch wrote:Thing that bugs me about this gig is we'll be hearing the songs for the first time. So the studio album, with a lot of work put into it will no longer sound as refreshing.
(unless you avoid the stream at all costs)
Eh, I don't think it's that big a deal. Bands used to preview new material months or years before it showed up on albums...the Who, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Rush, the Smiths, R.E.M., and yes, even Blur (among many more). It's just that unless you were AT the concert, you didn't hear it until the record came out. In today's instant online world of information, that'll never be the case.
A similar thing happened with The Good, The Bad & The Queen. All the live recordings of the pre-release gigs were widely available well before the album release date.

But then the album came out - and some of the songs almost sounded completely different. There's every chance the same will happen here. Just look at live version of Caramel from 2012 compared to the studio version, songs can sound very different live. So - my point is - I suspect hearing the album will still be pretty exciting even after hearing the live versions first.

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Mar 2015, 17:32

JackS wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:
munch wrote:Thing that bugs me about this gig is we'll be hearing the songs for the first time. So the studio album, with a lot of work put into it will no longer sound as refreshing.
(unless you avoid the stream at all costs)
Eh, I don't think it's that big a deal. Bands used to preview new material months or years before it showed up on albums...the Who, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Rush, the Smiths, R.E.M., and yes, even Blur (among many more). It's just that unless you were AT the concert, you didn't hear it until the record came out. In today's instant online world of information, that'll never be the case.
A similar thing happened with The Good, The Bad & The Queen. All the live recordings of the pre-release gigs were widely available well before the album release date.

But then the album came out - and some of the songs almost sounded completely different. There's every chance the same will happen here. Just look at live version of Caramel from 2012 compared to the studio version, songs can sound very different live. So - my point is - I suspect hearing the album will still be pretty exciting even after hearing the live versions first.
Exactly. That was the same point I long-windedly made as well, but you did it a bit more directly ;)
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
ricj
Posts: 116
Joined: 13 Mar 2015, 17:53

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by ricj » 13 Mar 2015, 23:07

I'm kind of torn between whether i'd rather hear the songs live first or not... I'm pretty sure i'm not going to be able to resist watching the stream but i'd definitely rather hear the songs in their recorded form before hearing how they are reproduced live.

I remember back in 1999 taping The Hippodrome show off Radio 1 when they played all of 13 in order (bar Caramel) and listening to it to death before the album was released. The album obviously sounded different when I got to hear it but I knew exactly what to expect song wise and it definitely took the intrigue away from hearing it all for the first time...

I still love that Hippodrome Show though! One of my all time favourites ever and i've been listening to it to death again recently.
Image

Leahscarlet2
Posts: 624
Joined: 09 Mar 2015, 18:17

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 13 Mar 2015, 23:28

ricj wrote:I'm kind of torn between whether i'd rather hear the songs live first or not... I'm pretty sure i'm not going to be able to resist watching the stream but i'd definitely rather hear the songs in their recorded form before hearing how they are reproduced live.

I remember back in 1999 taping The Hippodrome show off Radio 1 when they played all of 13 in order (bar Caramel) and listening to it to death before the album was released. The album obviously sounded different when I got to hear it but I knew exactly what to expect song wise and it definitely took the intrigue away from hearing it all for the first time...

I still love that Hippodrome Show though! One of my all time favourites ever and i've been listening to it to death again recently.
I've not listened to any of the Hippodrome show before but just watched Beetlebum from the set on YouTube..wow! That's probably one of my favourite performances of it. Was that the only one filmed?
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

User avatar
ricj
Posts: 116
Joined: 13 Mar 2015, 17:53

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by ricj » 13 Mar 2015, 23:37

Leahscarlet2 wrote:
ricj wrote:I'm kind of torn between whether i'd rather hear the songs live first or not... I'm pretty sure i'm not going to be able to resist watching the stream but i'd definitely rather hear the songs in their recorded form before hearing how they are reproduced live.

I remember back in 1999 taping The Hippodrome show off Radio 1 when they played all of 13 in order (bar Caramel) and listening to it to death before the album was released. The album obviously sounded different when I got to hear it but I knew exactly what to expect song wise and it definitely took the intrigue away from hearing it all for the first time...

I still love that Hippodrome Show though! One of my all time favourites ever and i've been listening to it to death again recently.
I've not listened to any of the Hippodrome show before but just watched Beetlebum from the set on YouTube..wow! That's probably one of my favourite performances of it. Was that the only one filmed?
I think you're thinking of The Depot show? The Hippodrome wasn't filmed but was broadcast on BBC Radio 1

*Edit: i've just seen the clip you're referring to and yep, it's mis-labeled. It's at The Depot (not The Hippodrome)
Image

User avatar
McNormalandchips
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 21:31
Location: Golden Gate

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by McNormalandchips » 14 Mar 2015, 05:28

The best part about this is no one knows what the hell to expect. New songs played live for the first time and no one has ever heard them. That is a rare thing indeed.

I applied but there's no way I can go. If I happen to win I'll gladly donate the tickets to a forum regular.

User avatar
McNormalandchips
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 21:31
Location: Golden Gate

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by McNormalandchips » 14 Mar 2015, 05:39

Btw the email said "small club in West London" so does that narrow it down at all as to the venue?

User avatar
Indiana
Posts: 149
Joined: 21 Jan 2015, 11:28

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by Indiana » 14 Mar 2015, 06:10

McNormalandchips wrote:I applied but there's no way I can go. If I happen to win I'll gladly donate the tickets to a forum regular.
It's my understanding that if you win it's your name on a list and that's it, which means you wouldn't be able to pass it on to someone else if you can't go. That's why it's best that people who are sure they can't attend don't actually enter the draw.
Image

Post Reply