What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Petter
Posts: 39
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 19:12

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Petter » 06 Mar 2015, 15:00

I reckon the Hyde Park gig will be a 2 hour show (as 2009 and 2012) and that's around 25 songs (unless the new ones are 15-minute epics...). I really hope they play a lot of songs from The Magic Whip, 8-9 songs hopefully. I don't think they'll play all 12 songs, even for the 13 - "we'll play our new album in order" tour they didn't do that.

And then you have the big ones. In Hyde Park a lot of them need to be played. I think For Tomorrow, Girls And Boys, This Is A Low, The Universal, Beetlebum, Song 2, Tender, Coffee and Tv, Out of Time will be played. Parklife, There's No Other Way, To The End, Country House, End of a Century are also part of the big ones, but in my opinion they can be dropped, but some of them will probably be played as well.

And then you have the lesser known songs that they have kept in the set, probably because they are band favourites and really good live songs; Popscene, Colin Zeal, Advert, Trimm Trabb. I think they'll play one or two of these..

So..
7-9 new ones?
10-12 hits / live killers?

leave us with a couple of album tracks / b-sides to fill up a 25-song set... And before i've even listened to a single note of the other 11 tracks on the new album I go for this setlist :D

Lonesome Street
Go Out
He Thought of Cars
Pop Scene
New World Towers
I Broadcast
Beetlebum
Out of Time
My Terracotta Heart
Ghost Ship
Oily Water
Chemical World
On Your Own
Explain
Mirrorball
No Distance Left
Coffee and TV
Girls And Boys
Ong Ong
For Tomorrow
This is a Low
-------------------
Pyongyang
Tender
The Universal
--------------------
Song 2
Sing

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Miki » 06 Mar 2015, 15:01

Rubi wrote:
Miki wrote:
munch wrote:perhaps Charmless Man
Anything but Charmless Man
Not a fan?
Nope. Not a fan of most of The Great Escape, tbh.

I would love to have more from Blur and not just Beetlebum and Song2.

On Your Own, Death of a Party, Strange News From Another Star... and some of the album B-sides - All Your Life, Polished Stone...

Dream on :roll:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1910
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Rubi » 06 Mar 2015, 15:37

Yeah, the self-titled definitely needs to be represented more.

davidsutter
Posts: 915
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by davidsutter » 06 Mar 2015, 16:21

Rubi wrote:What's wrong with To the End? It always sounds lovely live.
It's always half pre-recorded as well.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7040
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by TripleJay97 » 06 Mar 2015, 16:28

davidsutter wrote:
Rubi wrote:What's wrong with To the End? It always sounds lovely live.
It's always half pre-recorded as well.
I agree. If what we've heard so far from the album represents the rest, we're gonna need a more raw set.
Image

User avatar
JackS
Posts: 453
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:46
Location: London

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by JackS » 06 Mar 2015, 16:53

Petter wrote:I reckon the Hyde Park gig will be a 2 hour show (as 2009 and 2012) and that's around 25 songs (unless the new ones are 15-minute epics...). I really hope they play a lot of songs from The Magic Whip, 8-9 songs hopefully. I don't think they'll play all 12 songs, even for the 13 - "we'll play our new album in order" tour they didn't do that.

And then you have the big ones. In Hyde Park a lot of them need to be played. I think For Tomorrow, Girls And Boys, This Is A Low, The Universal, Beetlebum, Song 2, Tender, Coffee and Tv, Out of Time will be played. Parklife, There's No Other Way, To The End, Country House, End of a Century are also part of the big ones, but in my opinion they can be dropped, but some of them will probably be played as well.

And then you have the lesser known songs that they have kept in the set, probably because they are band favourites and really good live songs; Popscene, Colin Zeal, Advert, Trimm Trabb. I think they'll play one or two of these..
Some really great points here. With the new songs coming in, there really isn't that much maneuverability. We shouldn't be hoping for random B-sides from 20 years ago as frankly we won't get them (at least not at Hyde Park).

You can't turn up at Hyde Park playing to 65,000 people: play 4 new songs and then go "here's a b-side from 1991"

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1454
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by aldamasta » 06 Mar 2015, 17:36

Hmm some of the songs I most want blur to perform live are:
Fool's Day
Battery In Your Leg
Caravan
Swamp Song
Country Sad Ballad Man
On Your Own
St. Louis
Clover Over Dover (PLEASE)
Mace
Inertia
Explain
Bang

Obviously some of these will be better for warmup gigs, but I don't care when these would be performed live... I just wanna hear them!

User avatar
rich
Posts: 953
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by rich » 06 Mar 2015, 17:51

Petter wrote:So.. 7-9 new ones? 10-12 hits / live killers? leave us with a couple of album tracks / b-sides to fill up a 25-song set... And before i've even listened to a single note of the other 11 tracks on the new album I go for this setlist :D

Lonesome Street
Go Out
He Thought of Cars
Pop Scene
New World Towers
I Broadcast
Beetlebum
Out of Time
My Terracotta Heart
Ghost Ship
Oily Water
Chemical World
On Your Own
Explain
Mirrorball
No Distance Left
Coffee and TV
Girls And Boys
Ong Ong
For Tomorrow
This is a Low
-------------------
Pyongyang
Tender
The Universal
--------------------
Song 2
Sing
Wow - I'd settle for that Petter :)

Maybe put Tame and Fools Day in somewhere.

Much as Parklife grates a bit with me nowadays, I'm afraid that Hyde Park will inevitably see Parklife being performed - it's Damon's 'local park' isn't it...

rich 8-)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

JAIME
Posts: 2204
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:12
Location: Villa Alemana & Santiago, CHILE

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by JAIME » 06 Mar 2015, 19:33

First of all, Country House and Song 2 out.

Then, I'd like to hear 6 new songs in Hyde Park, at least, including Go Out.

Please keep Poscene, Girls & Boys, To the End, This is a Low, The Universal, Beetlebum, Tender, Trimm Trabb and Out of Time in the setlist, and add, 4 or 5 B-sides (Inertia, Luminous, Young & Lovely, All your life, and/or Black Book, for instance).

Also, I'd like to hear songs that they didn't play here in Chile, like Sing, Chemical World, Oily Water, Jubilee, Badhead, Battle and No distance left to run.

And now dreaming, I'd love to hear Shimmer, The man who left himself, Battle or 1992, etc.
Image

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 06 Mar 2015, 20:13

We've had some fair representation of their britpop era for 2009 and 2012/3, it's time they let go Jubilee, Country House etc and start playing the likes of Battle, Essex Dogs or Battery In Your Leg. I guess some TT tracks like On the Way to the Club or Ambulance would sound amazing with Gra but I doubt they'd play them.
And please keep Caramel.

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Mar 2015, 21:26

I agree with those people saying more S/T tracks. I'm hoping the logic runs that The Magic Whip vibe means Blur / 13 tracks are more suitable picks for the setlist, and so it is weighted a bit more in that direction. As everyone has said, there's no way the obvious songs won't be played at Hyde Park, but I can see them giving us a few surprises at warm-up gigs. 1992 would be brilliant, Strange News... well lots from S/T.
Image

User avatar
oohyehyeh
Posts: 36
Joined: 30 Jan 2015, 07:56

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by oohyehyeh » 07 Mar 2015, 01:46

i'd love to hear blue jeans, inertia, country sad, and essex dogs (although i know that's highly unlikely). i know it's basically impossible that they'll (well, he'll) play you're so great, but i'll still mention it 8-) .

i doubt they wouldn't play big hits especially at hyde park, but i definitely wouldn't moan about getting rid of country house. i hope they'll keep advert though, and more mlir songs like oily water, chemical world, and for tomorrow of course would be great… as well as blur and 13 tracks. i quite like london loves so i hope they'll play it at hyde park/ other london shows, and i hope popscene stays in the set!

Petter
Posts: 39
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 19:12

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Petter » 07 Mar 2015, 08:44

Popscene is a briliant opener, especially like this with Graham alone on stage first making lots of noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB005oePh-I I can't believe why they chose to swap it with Girls And Boys for the rest of the 2012/2013 tour. The difference between Popscene > Girls and Boys compared to Girls And Boys > Popscene is in my opinion quite big. I really love big bands to start with a more unknown song (The Who did that for their 1969/1970 tour when they started with Heaven and Hell with John Entwistle on vocals)

And...If they do London Loves; please leave out the "give it to me" bit ..

Daysleeper
Posts: 213
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 15:45

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Daysleeper » 07 Mar 2015, 09:20

Please no Jubilee!

Also out with Parklife and Sunday Sunday.

Please play Trouble in the message centre, Battle, Fools day, Bugman and Bonebag!

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1910
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Rubi » 07 Mar 2015, 09:45

Petter wrote:Popscene is a briliant opener, especially like this with Graham alone on stage first making lots of noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB005oePh-I I can't believe why they chose to swap it with Girls And Boys for the rest of the 2012/2013 tour. The difference between Popscene > Girls and Boys compared to Girls And Boys > Popscene is in my opinion quite big. I really love big bands to start with a more unknown song (The Who did that for their 1969/1970 tour when they started with Heaven and Hell with John Entwistle on vocals)

And...If they do London Loves; please leave out the "give it to me" bit ..
Personally, I prefer Girls & Boys as opener.

Post Reply