Best Album Singles

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Which album has the best singles?

Leisure (She's So High, There's No Other Way, Bang)
6%
Modern Life Is Rubbish (For Tomorrow, Chemical World, Sunday Sunday)
16%
Parklife (Girls & Boys, To The End, Parklife, End of a Century)
26%
The Great Escape (Country House, The Universal, Stereotypes, Charmless Man)
13%
Blur (Beetlebum, Song 2, On Your Own, M.O.R.)
23%
13 (Tender, Coffee & TV, No Distance Left To Run)
16%
Think Tank (Out Of Time, Crazy Beat, Good Song)
No votes

Total votes: 31

Sledge Hammer

Re: Best Album Singles

Post by Sledge Hammer » 05 Mar 2015, 21:47

Rubi wrote:A single version of Bugman similar to how they played it live in 1999 would have been nice.
Yeah the album version could never have been a single, but yeah the live version format could have...this is one of my fave Blur moments, love Damon's look, bit of a Liam "mickey take", and from 1.58 the band are in perfection with the instrumental, plus at 2.24 when Damon looks over at Graham and the camera zooms in...coool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0VpTc47Uw

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 05 Mar 2015, 21:54

Rubi wrote:A single version of Bugman similar to how they played it live in 1999 would have been nice.
Why didn't they just do that?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 05 Mar 2015, 22:09

That was hard for me... it's almost a four-way tie between 13, Modern Life, Parklife, and Blur. But in the end, 13 wins because of a simple little thing called Tender. My favorite song of all time!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 05 Mar 2015, 22:15

tom_cas1 wrote:I'm surprised for the lack of love for 13, hands down the best although No Distance Left To Run shouldn't have been a single. Bugman should have. Still, 13 gets my vote.
Makes me wonder, if that were the case, would the Space is the Place segment have been axed? Some people class it as an exitlude.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 05 Mar 2015, 22:40

Best single will always be Beetlebum for me, but didn't go for Blur as I really don't care for Somg 2 anymore and MOR was a bit well MOR.

So I went for the The Great Escape, I really enjoy all of the singles off that album, even Country House. All the other albums have at least one single that I dom't love.

Think tank would have to be last for the abomination known as Crazy Beat!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 05 Mar 2015, 22:52

TripleJay97 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I'm surprised for the lack of love for 13, hands down the best although No Distance Left To Run shouldn't have been a single. Bugman should have. Still, 13 gets my vote.
Makes me wonder, if that were the case, would the Space is the Place segment have been axed? Some people class it as an exitlude.
A studio version of the performance Sledge posted would have been perfect.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 06 Mar 2015, 11:47

Daysleeper wrote:Best single will always be Beetlebum for me, but didn't go for Blur as I really don't care for Somg 2 anymore and MOR was a bit well MOR.

So I went for the The Great Escape, I really enjoy all of the singles off that album, even Country House. All the other albums have at least one single that I dom't love.

Think tank would have to be last for the abomination known as Crazy Beat!
I still love Crazy Beat. That guitar riff is great, don't care what anyone says!

bugman

Post by bugman » 06 Mar 2015, 12:04

no distance is so pretty song, fantastic lyrics, but it snt a good choice to be a single. im still thinking that trimm tramm or bumgna would be a better choice

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 06 Mar 2015, 12:28

bugman wrote:no distance is so pretty song, fantastic lyrics, but it snt a good choice to be a single. im still thinking that trimm tramm or bumgna would be a better choice
wigging out to blur?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 06 Mar 2015, 14:57

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Yeah the album version could never have been a single, but yeah the live version format could have...this is one of my fave Blur moments, love Damon's look, bit of a Liam "mickey take", and from 1.58 the band are in perfection with the instrumental, plus at 2.24 when Damon looks over at Graham and the camera zooms in...coool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0VpTc47Uw
ah, I'd never seen this, that would be fantastic for this year!

twostep

Post by twostep » 06 Mar 2015, 15:19

it's an interesting question. i think on balance parklife has the best singles, but it isn't my favourite album.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Mar 2015, 16:39

I think Parklife had arguably the worst choice of singles! Yes they were all hits but Girls and Boys and especially To the End aren't representative of the album's overall guitar pop sound.

But then 13! Perhaps the three "safest" (in radio terms) songs on the album, that show little of the album's experimentalism. Also I feel people saying Bugman would have bombed as a single were wrong. While I doubt Radio 1 with have A-listed it or whatever, in 2000 Primal Scream's Accelerator got to no. 34. (Love using that example).

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 06 Mar 2015, 21:56

Parklife for me. Probably three of my four favourite songs on that record (the other being This is a Low), and I don't actually mind the song Parklife all that much.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Mar 2015, 07:57

All albums had singles that were good, and not so good.

I think 'The Great Escape' had the right choice of singles as far as the mainstream audience were concerned.

And this at a time when Blur were at their commercial peak.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

blurvert

Post by blurvert » 10 Mar 2015, 15:16

Torn between s/t & parklife. I voted Parklife in the end as it has slightly more of a range with the likes of To The End and MOR is one of the weaker tracks on the album.