What do you think of the new Blur song, 'Go Out'?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

What do you think of 'Go Out'?

5/5 - brilliant, one of the best things they've ever done
8%
4/5 - a really good song - good enough to be one of their better singles
47%
3/5 - quite good - not really single material but nice to listen to on an album
39%
2/5 - disappointing - ok to hear occasionally but will probably skip it when the album comes out
5%
1/5 - rubbish - if I heard it on the radio, I'd have to change channels
1%

Total votes: 75

101reykjavik

Re: What do you think of the new Blur song, 'Go Out'?

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Feb 2015, 17:34

MrMagpie wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:
He's So High wrote:I still don't understand why there's so much hate on here for 'Under the Westway'.
Because it may aswell have been a Damon solo song, and the song thinks it has the emotion of This Is A Low or The Universal, it comes nowhere near...
*clap clap clap* Thank you. My thoughts exactly. The production is too mushy and muddy, as well (IMO). It's not as horrid as the Puritan, but it's nowhere near as good (again, IMO) as the two songs it's always compared to.
I'll third that. Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. It reaches for emotional heights and falls quite some way short. It wants to be lush and grand but is in fact long and a little dull.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 25 Feb 2015, 18:06

Missy wrote:I usually listen to BBC6 radio all the day at work and I haven't heard Go Out once, apart from the time when Stev Lamacq was interviewing the band.
Instead, they play a lot the Noel Gallagher's new song, for example: also in Italy this song gets played a lot, I think it's more commercial.
But I was expecting that a radio station like BBC6, more indie-oriented, was playing Go out more, but thinking about that, they also didn't played very much of Everyday Robots this year.
Let's see after 27 of april.
6 Music, like all stations, debate their playlist options once a week, and then start playing new stuff from the following Monday. The first opportunity for stations to discuss Go Out will have been this week, playlists to be published on Friday, and the song will be played (if chosen) from Monday. There's no way it won't feature on 6 Music from next week...

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 25 Feb 2015, 18:10

101reykjavik wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:Because it may aswell have been a Damon solo song, and the song thinks it has the emotion of This Is A Low or The Universal, it comes nowhere near...
*clap clap clap* Thank you. My thoughts exactly. The production is too mushy and muddy, as well (IMO). It's not as horrid as the Puritan, but it's nowhere near as good (again, IMO) as the two songs it's always compared to.
I'll third that. Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. It reaches for emotional heights and falls quite some way short. It wants to be lush and grand but is in fact long and a little dull.
I'd agree that it doesn't reach the heights of something like The Universal (though I don't think many songs do, Blur or otherwise!), but don't think it's boring in the slightest. Almost like this musical taste thing is subjective :D

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Feb 2015, 19:34

^ Well, quite... but then what would be the point of forums otherwise. :D
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 25 Feb 2015, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Miki

Post by Miki » 25 Feb 2015, 21:31

I don't hate Under the Westway, but it wasn't one of their finest moments. When you think of songs like This is a Low and The Universal, UTW is just not up there. To me it felt like something quickly put together to have something to perform at the Olympics Closing concert.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 25 Feb 2015, 21:38

The UTW/Puritan single definitely would have benefited from a more live-in-the-studio approach.
As it is the studio recordings aren't that great.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 25 Feb 2015, 21:46

Miki wrote:I don't hate Under the Westway, but it wasn't one of their finest moments. When you think of songs like This is a Low and The Universal, UTW is just not up there. To me it felt like something quickly put together to have something to perform at the Olympics Closing concert.

I agree with everything you say, 100%. Which is why it makes the lavish praise it's garnered from so many all the more head-scratching to me. I love Blur, absolutely, but I also try to be as objective as possible about their music. I can literally count the number of album/single tracks (B-sides not included) I dislike on one hand. Westway and Puritan happen to be two of them (Jets is the other that is at the top of the list).

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 25 Feb 2015, 22:01

I love Westway, don't find it pretentious at all. I think it does justice to the band's talent.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 26 Feb 2015, 13:10

I'm really glad people have shared the track at this rate! This way we see the band remains relevant, which is not as easy after all this years without new material...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 26 Feb 2015, 14:22

And the fact that that is here in the USA...wow! :)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 26 Feb 2015, 16:15

Really good to see. Quite unexpected I've got to say, but so pleased it's having some impact seemingly.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 27 Feb 2015, 13:42

The Puritan is great, ridiculously underrated IMO. Westway never did much for me though. I listened to it quite a lot expecting it to grow on me, but it never really did. I still love Fools Day too. Go Out is the absolute tits though. :mrgreen:

'Allo Vera

Post by 'Allo Vera » 27 Feb 2015, 18:54

I'm copying and posting this here, too because it sums-up how I feel about it: Blur maintains the weirdest ability to keep perpetual, story-line continuity for the band. I don't know how they do it and if it's consciously done. "Go Out" sounds like pensive, even mopey Damon from "Everyday Robots" is being scrubbed up and pulled out of the house by the rest of the band. You can feel the whole machine having the rust cleaned off, starting-up again.

'Allo Vera

Post by 'Allo Vera » 27 Feb 2015, 19:04

@ My name is Mud -

"Under The Westway" did the exact, same thing that all new Blur songs do, even when The public doesn't realize it; it tells The Future and other musicians follow. Within the years since, British balladeers have roared back into mainstream music, everywhere, even if Blur fans aren't on board with all of them; Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, etc.

Blur are always -- always! -- two steps ahead of everyone else. I don't know how they do it but they unconsciously anticipate what needs to be made, right now, what ears are craving and then they make it. Guitar rock has now worked out the kinks, hesitatingly started its revival and presto, Blur offers a new take on fuzzy British guitar music with new beats, just at the right time and it feels fresh. They just have that intangible "it". This band just has it.