The Magic Whip Tour 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MrMagpie

Re: The Magic Whip Tour

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Mar 2015, 18:57

Leahscarlet2 wrote:I cant expect this to happen but if it did it'd be great; the band playing all the small places they did in the 90s. It wasn't like they were just starting out, they were still doing some smallish places in 94/95
I'd bet a lot of good money over bad that this will never, ever happen again with Blur. Sad, but likely to be true. If they aren't going to tour the record hard in the UK, why would they anywhere else?

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

rich

Post by rich » 19 Mar 2015, 18:59

Yes it does look a bit half-hearted at the moment, doesn't it - but then the only way it happened (and I guess the only way it was ever going to happen) was when Graham seemingly managed to push Damon into it - hence the squeezing around announced commitments - Damon's Alice thing - and, presumably, promotion/touring around unannounced semi-commitments/ideas - Damon's new Gorillaz and GBQ work and, let's not forget, Graham's pending new album...

Apple Corps anyone ;)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Mar 2015, 19:02

Half-hearted is a good way to put it. And that's not a slight at Blur, just calling it like it is. Although the more I think about the album, it's kind of half-hearted in the sense that it was some demos they knocked about 2 years ago that Graham and Street then sifted through and hammered into shape. So not a TRUE album in the sense of the word. I'm very interested to listen to it and hear how cohesive it is (or isn't)...studio versions, of course, because live will be a different animal altogether.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Mar 2015, 19:05

If they don't tour the US then in my mind it's payback for all my favourite US bands not coming to the UK to tour. Beck, Allman Brothers, She & Him among others. PAYBACK HAHAHAHAHA!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 19 Mar 2015, 19:05

of course, if you're listening tweedz, I'm definitely NOT MOANING! - in fact, I'm very excited for this coming year :) :)

rich 8-)

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 19 Mar 2015, 19:09

I've seen quite a few things recently on here about a gtbtq album. What's the news on that so far?
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Mar 2015, 19:13

No news at all really, just speculation at this point. Same goes with Gorillaz. No real facts at this point.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Mar 2015, 20:04

really surprised the tone here is so negative at the moment.

They've just announced a tiny show at what 10 days notice.

New album on the way.

More UK gigs to be announced that we know about.

We know they are playing outside the UK.

Not really sure how much more people expect 6 weeks ahead of an album release. Always used to be (dont know if still holds) that a tour followed an album so the band had something to promote. Why gig hard with material nobody has yet heard?

I don't expect 90 dates globally in venues of capacity under 1,000 only and much of the attempts to manage expectations are somewhat sensible and understandable, but i'm not really sure what they have to do to please people sometimes!

rich

Post by rich » 19 Mar 2015, 20:14

dougharrison wrote:really surprised the tone here is so negative at the moment.

New album on the way.

Not really sure how much more people expect 6 weeks ahead of an album release. Always used to be (dont know if still holds) that a tour followed an album so the band had something to promote. Why gig hard with material nobody has yet heard?

I don't expect 90 dates globally in venues of capacity under 1,000 only and much of the attempts to manage expectations are somewhat sensible and understandable, but i'm not really sure what they have to do to please people sometimes!
rich wrote:of course, if you're listening tweedz, I'm definitely NOT MOANING! - in fact, I'm very excited for this coming year :) :)

rich 8-)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Mar 2015, 20:32

New album on the way.

I was basing my speculation of some fairly solid things I've heard that there will NOT be many, if any, dates here in the US or anywhere outside Europe. Obviously since it hasn't been proven either way, I don't know if I'm right or wrong (such is the problem with rumors!). But it wouldn't really surprise me since Damon had so much other stuff scheduled BEFORE we'd even heard of the new album. We shall see.

grumble grumble grumble

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Mar 2015, 23:22

MrMagpie wrote:

New album on the way.

I was basing my speculation of some fairly solid things I've heard that there will NOT be many, if any, dates here in the US or anywhere outside Europe. Obviously since it hasn't been proven either way, I don't know if I'm right or wrong (such is the problem with rumors!). But it wouldn't really surprise me since Damon had so much other stuff scheduled BEFORE we'd even heard of the new album. We shall see.

grumble grumble grumble

I know it's quite conceivable that you hear things from people who are well connected, a "campaign" style tour does seem unrealistic. Common sense agrees with your perception of the MO obviously. I just remember what expectations were like of Blur ever doing anything again, pre-reunion, then it was why no new material, which they did (FD, UTW, Puritan) then it was why cant they do anything internationally, which they did, then it was one more album would be great, which they've done and now it seems moaning is round full circle to why cant they play...

It's not that I don't have sympathy with you Drew, I get that they've done nothing on the East Coast of the USA, and with family, good job etc it's just not practical for you to spend thousands on a single gig and even if you could, I'm not suggesting you should. Just my two cents that the expectations just keep getting raised exponentially, followed by lots of hand-wringing, just feels very melodramatic.

As an almost ex-pat I honestly didn't think I would catch any TMW gigs (got very lucky in winning a pair for the small one though) and I made peace with the expectation I wouldn't see any gigs this time round, or possibly Blur live again. Not saying everyone must always be relentlessly positive, I'm just confused and surprised at the level of expectation/entitlement (again not aimed at you Drew, just a general feeling I picked up on - perhaps incorrectly - on here)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 20 Mar 2015, 02:07

Fair enough, Doug! I respect your opinion and agree with (most of) it :). I know I come off like I bitch and moan about a lot of stuff and truthfully, I do. I care too much about these guys is the problem and I need to temper that with realism.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 21 Mar 2015, 17:16

New album on the way.

What he said. Totally agree, let's just enjoy what we are getting from them, which is pretty good so far. We don't yet know where they are touring the album so no point getting negative or despondent about it, we just don't know yet!

Based on the gig last night I'm sure there are plenty more nice surprises to come.

munch

Post by munch » 22 Mar 2015, 05:07

I've seen people get really worked up on facebook like WHY WAS I NOT INVITED TO THE GIG and stuff. Getting all angry.

I think as forum members, we know that waiting feeling we've had for so so long. We've also had our blummin forum close to convince us it was all over.

So our delight will now last us another 12 years with the album release i'm sure haha
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Mar 2015, 07:44

munch wrote:I've seen people get really worked up on facebook like WHY WAS I NOT INVITED TO THE GIG and stuff. Getting all angry.

I think as forum members, we know that waiting feeling we've had for so so long. We've also had our blummin forum close to convince us it was all over.

So our delight will now last us another 12 years with the album release i'm sure haha
That's so silly getting angry about missing out. Why does anyone feel a sense of entitlement that they should have been there? If I had to hazard a guess though, they are probably relatively young - like you say, haven't waited over a decade for something like this to happen.

I have to keep reminding myself to make sure I savour every last moment of this because who knows what the future holds, it may well be the last time we all have a chance to share a new Blur record. A new Blur record for heaven's sake!!! This time is special.