The Magic Whip Tour 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

cdm22

Re: The Magic Whip Tour

Post by cdm22 » 27 Feb 2015, 12:14

Metronomy are quite a big band, I think they did Alexandra Palace last time they toured. The Horrors and Drenge are worth a watch but still not enough to entice me to shell out £85 for a Hyde Park gig.

Mr Briggs

Post by Mr Briggs » 27 Feb 2015, 12:17

thespider wrote:I just checked stargreen and ticketmaster about 15 minutes ago. Tickets were still available and there was no internet queuing. Sounds like there isn't a mad rush this time.

Not surprised, I brought in the pre sale but I don't expect this to sell out ASAP. It's not like the reunion gig in 2009, even 2012 was easy to get tickets I think I purchased mine pretty late on.

blur are the most expensive currently at £80 for a general admission and todays announcement of support bands won't help in shifting tickets in fact it could seriously backfire on the promoters who I'm sure think that the event will sell itself with blur headlining.
Last edited by Mr Briggs on 27 Feb 2015, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Briggs

Post by Mr Briggs » 27 Feb 2015, 12:22

cdm22 wrote:Metronomy are quite a big band, I think they did Alexandra Palace last time they toured. The Horrors and Drenge are worth a watch but still not enough to entice me to shell out £85 for a Hyde Park gig.
TBH my musical tastes aren't that eclectic, I tend to listen to mainly indie, and I'm into a lot of new psychedelic bands such as TOY,Temples and Blossoms.

I'm always open to listening to new music but find that as I'm getting older and nearing 50 (I'm 48 soon) I know what I like and don't have time for something that I'm not interested in.

HydeParklife

Post by HydeParklife » 27 Feb 2015, 12:26

Well I wasn't expecting that many support bands, I guess I was thinking it would be more like 2009 and 2012 with two or three bigger names. I can't say I know much about them, although after a quick google I guess Damon and the others have had some input (A Gorillaz colaborator and remixer, an african band etc). That's my Spotify playlist sorted for the next few days at least!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 27 Feb 2015, 12:28

Mr Briggs wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:yeah, I really like their shoegazy stuff too
Yes so do I, have you listened to TOY they're really good, my favorite new band tipped for big things are Blossoms a psychedelic band from Manchester, I'm going to see them in March, my favourite band last year was Temples who I saw live and are very good.
I'll have to check them out!

Mr Briggs

Post by Mr Briggs » 27 Feb 2015, 12:29

cdm22 wrote:Metronomy are quite a big band, I think they did Alexandra Palace last time they toured. The Horrors and Drenge are worth a watch but still not enough to entice me to shell out £85 for a Hyde Park gig.

I'm pretty sure that they'll be some big name acts announced for the main stage, perhaps the promoters should have held back on a the announcement of support bands until a big name act was secured because as it stands people aren't going to be enticed enough to spend £80 on a all say festival with acts they have never heard of even if blur are headlining.

Mr Briggs

Post by Mr Briggs » 27 Feb 2015, 12:31

TripleJay97 wrote:
Mr Briggs wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:yeah, I really like their shoegazy stuff too
Yes so do I, have you listened to TOY they're really good, my favorite new band tipped for big things are Blossoms a psychedelic band from Manchester, I'm going to see them in March, my favourite band last year was Temples who I saw live and are very good.
I'll have to check them out!
The Horrors are good friends with TOY and have played live with them many times.

Mr Briggs

Post by Mr Briggs » 27 Feb 2015, 12:40

HydeParklife wrote:Well I wasn't expecting that many support bands, I guess I was thinking it would be more like 2009 and 2012 with two or three bigger names. I can't say I know much about them, although after a quick google I guess Damon and the others have had some input (A Gorillaz colaborator and remixer, an african band etc). That's my Spotify playlist sorted for the next few days at least!

The difference between this and 2009/12 is that this is a festival it's NOT a stand alone blur gig like 2009, even 2012 was part the Olympic Celebrations, this is like blur headlining any other big festival.

I think you're right that the headliners do have some input into who is on the bill but I'm guessing the promoters try to find other acts who will appeal to people who are fans of the headliners that's what it appears from previous years.

If you Google previous years line ups you'll see that there's usually three big name acts supporting the main headline act and around 12 other acts playing on 3 smaller stages.

I would presume that the majority of acts announced today will be on the 3 smaller stages with the main support acts yet to be announced.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 27 Feb 2015, 12:43

Was just going to wait for gigs in Scotland as done Hyde Park twice before, but now The Horrors are supporting seriously considering changing my mind. Love them and Primary Colours and Skying, the latter especially are two of my favourite albums. Last album wasn't so good, but desperate to see them.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 27 Feb 2015, 13:02

I'm incredibly happy this morning, I got my tickets!!!!!!! :P :P

I'll be there with 4 more Chilean friends! :P

HydeParklife

Post by HydeParklife » 27 Feb 2015, 13:09

Mr Briggs wrote:
HydeParklife wrote:Well I wasn't expecting that many support bands, I guess I was thinking it would be more like 2009 and 2012 with two or three bigger names. I can't say I know much about them, although after a quick google I guess Damon and the others have had some input (A Gorillaz colaborator and remixer, an african band etc). That's my Spotify playlist sorted for the next few days at least!

The difference between this and 2009/12 is that this is a festival it's NOT a stand alone blur gig like 2009, even 2012 was part the Olympic Celebrations, this is like blur headlining any other big festival.

I think you're right that the headliners do have some input into who is on the bill but I'm guessing the promoters try to find other acts who will appeal to people who are fans of the headliners that's what it appears from previous years.

If you Google previous years line ups you'll see that there's usually three big name acts supporting the main headline act and around 12 other acts playing on 3 smaller stages.

I would presume that the majority of acts announced today will be on the 3 smaller stages with the main support acts yet to be announced.
Yeah, I keep forgetting the format is a bit different this time. Cool, well I wouldn't say no to a few more bigger names to justify the ticket price, although there are enough announced so far for me to hopefully get into...

Miki

Post by Miki » 27 Feb 2015, 14:24

I didn't know Metronomy, but having listened to a few tracks on YT I'm not blown away... decidedly underwhelmed, in fact :|
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

twostep

Post by twostep » 27 Feb 2015, 14:27

Metronomy are Duran duran for the kids today.

Hyde Park not sold out. So people have either decided that twice was enough for blur in hyde park - probably not helped by all the talk of the terrible sound when they played in 2012 - or were put off by the price
Last edited by twostep on 27 Feb 2015, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

Miki

Post by Miki » 27 Feb 2015, 14:30

twostep wrote:Metronomy are Duran duran for the kids today
Not a patch on Duran Duran!
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

twostep

Post by twostep » 27 Feb 2015, 14:32

Miki wrote:
twostep wrote:Metronomy are Duran duran for the kids today
Not a patch on Duran Duran!
They do sound a lot like them tho
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary