Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

munch

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by munch » 27 Dec 2018, 18:02

great
Last edited by munch on 14 Apr 2019, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Feb 2019, 00:48

Today marks the 4th anniversary when we found out much to our gratification that Blur officially announced that they were going to release their first full album since "TT" and obviously the first one w/Graham since "13". The news came with such immense hype and fanfare and of course we also heard "Go Out" for the first time much to our amazement and distinct pleasure.

I have been one of the most enthusiastic of "TMW" since that time and still listen its entirety at least once per month. I know most didnt receive the each and every single track like I did, but to me they are all outstanding! I only continue to enjoy this album upon further listen and rank it as my 3rd fave Blur album (just behind "13" and "Blur"). To me it has aged brilliantly and I still hope that Damon and the boys reunite and record newer material soon, because "TMW" has always had me yearning for more!

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 05 Mar 2019, 11:46

I still love TMW to the day and would maybe rank it at number 3 too, although number 1 & 2 changes often. I did feel Blur played it safe with TMW, it was different enough and I think it was a wise choice considering the time between albums, but I would like them to go more experimental next time, a bit more 13 and lots of noisey guitars.

Vern

Post by Vern » 06 Mar 2019, 15:09

northernmonkey wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 11:46
I still love TMW to the day and would maybe rank it at number 3 too, although number 1 & 2 changes often. I did feel Blur played it safe with TMW, it was different enough and I think it was a wise choice considering the time between albums, but I would like them to go more experimental next time, a bit more 13 and lots of noisey guitars.
How could they play it safe if the entire album is based off jams worth several days worth in Hong Kong?

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 07 Mar 2019, 10:50

Vern wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:09
northernmonkey wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 11:46
How could they play it safe if the entire album is based off jams worth several days worth in Hong Kong?
Basing songs off Jams, doesn't mean they haven't played it safe. Graham and Stephen Street did a lot of work on these jams, parts were added throughout the process and unfortunately we don't really know the before and after results, apart from the odd snippet. My opinion of TMW playing it a little safe, takes nothing away from the album.

I was referring more to the sound of the album, songs like Lonesome Street (which I love), Mirror Ball, Ong Ong etc could have easily come off one of their other albums. Other albums have been more challenging and seen them go in totally different directions. I see TMW as a bit of a best of in the sound department, not saying it doesn't have new idea's/sounds such as Thought I was a Spaceman and Ghost Ship but to me it feels instantly familiar.

I am glad in a way after so long they made an album like TMW, just great songs with the Blur essence.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Mar 2019, 18:49

Blur were at their most adventurous/innovative between post "13" until Graham's departure (they really exhibited that during that Bill Laswell session). I feel though that was when the four of them were at their most cohesive together and to not record proper for so long as band detracted away from that to a certain extent. "Fool's Day" (still to me easily within the top-5 songs they've done since their "reunion") was quite simplistic, but they apparently recorded it quite hastily and were trying to get back into that "groove". "UTW" they started to expand their sound again and "The Puritan" was to be better captured live than it was on the studio version and unfortunately we never experienced the extent of that since it was omitted from the Hyde Park experience.

I feel though w/"TMW" they began to become a more complete band again and I wish they immediately followed that up with another album because they had their momentum and an immediate spark, but unfortunately that continues to be detracted away gradually as their remain apart from each other and that more than likely means they will never reach a high peak of innovation together again.

jt83

Post by jt83 » 04 May 2019, 09:24

I would've settled for a Magic Whip EP with the existing first six songs. The last half just doesn't do it for me.

Even this conceptual EP is just alright...Lonesome Street is weird in that it starts catchy, slows down, then finally finds a chorus, NWT is slow going (as is Spaceman), as enjoyable as Go Out is it doesn't have an appreciable chorus to my ears...a bit more polish would've been nice.