Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Sep 2018, 19:06

I haven't revisited this thread in quite some time, but again I must show my absolute love for this album! It will never grow old to me whatsoever.... Still I get depressed when "Mirror Ball" comes on knowing it's the final track still yearning for more!
Image

Daysleeper
Posts: 213
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 15:45

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by Daysleeper » 17 Oct 2018, 20:54

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I haven't revisited this thread in quite some time, but again I must show my absolute love for this album! It will never grow old to me whatsoever.... Still I get depressed when "Mirror Ball" comes on knowing it's the final track still yearning for more!
The album hasn't aged too well for me. There is a lot I am not a big fan of.

I could never really get in to Lonesome Street and the song has always grated on me for some reason.

I think I Broadcast and Ong Ong haven't aged very well. The production on Pyongyang makes it quite an average song which could have been so much more, I think Thought I was a Spaceman suffers from that although I still really enjoy it.

The albums biggest successes for me are Go out, There are too many of us and Ghost Ship; 3 songs I have never tired of.

A lot of the other songs I enjoy but they just don't get above the 7/10 category for me, they all have their moments e.g. Graham's guitars on New World Towers but they just don't fall in to the very good/excellent category.

I'm glad the album was made but it just doesn't push the envelope enough for me as I would a expect a Blur album to do.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2018, 13:14

It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....
Image

TracyJosh
Posts: 187
Joined: 21 May 2016, 12:20

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by TracyJosh » 23 Oct 2018, 13:42

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....


I would say I buck that trend. I like the album but there's something about the way it came to be that makes it feel like it lacks a bit of true intent from Damon. Would love for them to get together and make an album with a bit more of a vision, much like it sounds the new TGTBTQ album will be like.

I like each piece of music on it but it lacks traditional song structures that Damon is so good at in Blur.. Can tell he's bending his melodies and lyrics to fit with what was compiled together from the sessions. Good album, not great.

stephen
Posts: 557
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by stephen » 23 Oct 2018, 13:43

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....
I actually prefer The Puritan, each to their own.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2018, 13:46

stephen wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....
I actually prefer The Puritan, each to their own.
And to me "the Puritan" is the worst song they've released since they reunited, but we each obviously are entitled to our own opinion and individual tastes.. No rights and/or wrongs here!
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2018, 13:52

TracyJosh wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....


I would say I buck that trend. I like the album but there's something about the way it came to be that makes it feel like it lacks a bit of true intent from Damon. Would love for them to get together and make an album with a bit more of a vision, much like it sounds the new TGTBTQ album will be like.

I like each piece of music on it but it lacks traditional song structures that Damon is so good at in Blur.. Can tell he's bending his melodies and lyrics to fit with what was compiled together from the sessions. Good album, not great.
Yeah... obviously "TMW" was more of Graham's baby and so refreshing to hear his guitar and his backing and even more solo/shared vocals more prominently which obviously has lacked since 1999 or perhaps since "MIMR"......

But I love how Damon returned to Japan and got all so awe-inspired to come up with all those wonderful lyrics and it did not seemed forced whatsoever.. Probably his best lyrical effort in years... My main issue w/the Gorillaz recent albums is that they seem to repeat the same words/refrains over and over again within a song that it's beyond monotonous..... But with "TMW" Damon to me made it into a mini-concept album and he really thrived there!

I still often wonder and I've posted this on several occasions on here if he still writes any songs meant for Blur... I guess the last one he honestly did was "UTW" and was waiting for the proper moment to approach the band w/the idea. I still believe Damon is at his best w/Blur, to reiterate another constant of mine because Graham honestly is the only one who could keep Damon in check....
Image

thespider
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2014, 14:41

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by thespider » 23 Oct 2018, 14:51

Was listening to The Magic Whip only yesterday. I can listen to the album all the way through without skipping any tracks, something that isn't true of Leisure or TGE.

I think it's absolutely excellent. Considering they only worked on it for about 3 weeks after such a long break from recording an album, it's astounding that they just picked things up where they left off.
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2018, 15:58

thespider wrote:Was listening to The Magic Whip only yesterday. I can listen to the album all the way through without skipping any tracks, something that isn't true of Leisure or TGE.

I think it's absolutely excellent. Considering they only worked on it for about 3 weeks after such a long break from recording an album, it's astounding that they just picked things up where they left off.
Over the last few years I've become so intrigued w/Blur's recording from '00-'02 which includes "1" and "3" w/"Some Glad Morning", the Graham "TT" b-sides, and to a certain degree "Battery In Your Leg" and even "Kissin' Time".... I feel you can somewhat detect the progression on "TMW" like they never went such a length without recording. They seemed as cohesive as ever both in the studio and live! I just hope Blur reunites again soon, but I know I will love "TGTBTQ" in the interim!
Image

stephen
Posts: 557
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by stephen » 23 Oct 2018, 16:01

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
thespider wrote:Was listening to The Magic Whip only yesterday. I can listen to the album all the way through without skipping any tracks, something that isn't true of Leisure or TGE.

I think it's absolutely excellent. Considering they only worked on it for about 3 weeks after such a long break from recording an album, it's astounding that they just picked things up where they left off.
Over the last few years I've become so intrigued w/Blur's recording from '00-'02 which includes "1" and "3" w/"Some Glad Morning", the Graham "TT" b-sides, and to a certain degree "Battery In Your Leg" and even "Kissin' Time".... I feel you can somewhat detect the progression on "TMW" like they never went such a length without recording. They seemed as cohesive as ever both in the studio and live! I just hope Blur reunites again soon, but I know I will love "TGTBTQ" in the interim!
You could even put Ya'll doomed in with those tracks. I do get the feeling that blur could be the next stop after GBQ.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2018, 16:07

stephen wrote:
You could even put Ya'll doomed in with those tracks. I do get the feeling that blur could be the next stop after GBQ.
"Ya'll Doomed" is amazing! I too believe Blur will Damon's next focus and in time for the 20th anniversary of "13" (but obviously the later portion of the year).
Image

stephen
Posts: 557
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by stephen » 23 Oct 2018, 16:08

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
stephen wrote:
You could even put Ya'll doomed in with those tracks. I do get the feeling that blur could be the next stop after GBQ.
"Ya'll Doomed" is amazing! I too believe Blur will Damon's next focus and in time for the 20th anniversary of "13" (but obviously the later portion of the year).
20 YEARS :shock:

fuck. :|
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Daysleeper
Posts: 213
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 15:45

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by Daysleeper » 23 Oct 2018, 16:18

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....
My post above your post surely falls in to the in between category rather than loathing it?

I do like it, but don’t live it.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2018, 16:42

Daysleeper wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW".... Either you really love it like me or extremely loathe/dismiss it (and that also applies to "TT" as well).....
My post above your post surely falls in to the in between category rather than loathing it?

I do like it, but don’t live it.
That's true since you ranked it 7/10 and offered a balance pros/cons of the album! I especially agree w/you on "Ghost Ship" which might eventually go down within the top-20 of all-time Blur songs!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2440
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 25 Oct 2018, 17:54

Daysleeper wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It seems there's no "in-between" on "TMW"....
I do like it, but don’t live it.
Daysleeper - that is a good way of putting it. :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Post Reply