Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

beatfloh

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by beatfloh » 20 Feb 2015, 18:38

MrMagpie wrote:
He's So High wrote:
JackS wrote:This might be wishful thinking, and there is absolutely nothing to substantiate this, but I wonder about the timing of the announcement and whether we might see a performance of Go Out at the Brit Awards next week.
I hope not. Not sure the 2012 appearance was their finest hour.
No, it wasn't. In fact, it was quite embarrassing. If they didn't have the stature and respect they've earned over the years, they would have gotten pilloried for that.
citation from the RAH gig, I don't drink during performances :D

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 20 Feb 2015, 18:57

MrMagpie wrote:^I agree, I've had my fill of 90% of the MLIR/Parklife-era stuff. Keep For Tomorrow, Girls and Boys, This is a Low, The Universal, and Chemical World, and nuggets like London Loves. Otherwise, focus more on TGE/Blur/13/TT stuff to flesh out the new album. Blur has a tradition of playing almost every track from a new album when they tour it, going all the way back to 1991...I hope this new set of gigs isn't the first to buck that trend!

Totally agree, although I have to say I am desperate to hear Trouble in the message centre live!!5 Blur gigs and never seen it, hopefully Jubilee has been retired!

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 20 Feb 2015, 19:00

well, which interview was it, think the one about Wales and Scotland gig. I hope that indicates a different setlist

Miki

Post by Miki » 20 Feb 2015, 19:00

Right, album pre-ordered, code obtained... let the pre-sale battle begin! I swore no more mega-outdoor gigs, but I can't pass this one. Hopefully to be followed by smaller ones later on.

As for the song, wow wow wow! The more I play it, the more I like it. It's like MLIR/Blur/13 wrapped into one. Can't wait to hear the rest!
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 20 Feb 2015, 19:37

found by a friend, honestly some people can never get over it http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... is-better/

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 20 Feb 2015, 19:44

beatfloh wrote:found by a friend, honestly some people can never get over it http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... is-better/
What a bizarre article. I can't tell if he's writing in a slightly tongue-in-cheek fashion though when he comes out with lines like "it's perfectly adequate" when describing Noel's latest stuff. It just descends into 'here are a bunch of Oasis songs I like!'.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 20 Feb 2015, 20:10

Damon sounds about 10 years younger in the song!
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

McNormalandchips

Post by McNormalandchips » 20 Feb 2015, 20:11

Along with the new album announcement we are bound to get another whole round of Blur vs. Oasis crap. There are a lot of lazy music bloggers out there looking for clicks. It's the unfortunate side effect.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Feb 2015, 20:20

I'm writing an article on Blur at the moment and I can assure you that Oasis won't be mentioned once.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 20 Feb 2015, 20:21

beatfloh wrote:found by a friend, honestly some people can never get over it http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... is-better/
yeah I just tweeted that myself. I'm a regular reader of Grantland and I usually like what Steven Hyden writes, he's the rare person these days writing about music who does a good job at it. But this article is total shit and not just because he likes Oasis more. How does it make sense when he says that Blur's music (paraphrasing here) has more impact and musical value, but is a product of its time, whereas Oasis has the one song ("Wonderwall") more people will know in 100 years. Couldn't the same criticism he leveled at Blur be leveled at the Beatles (product of their time?). Yet the music still resonates afterward. Garbage article.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 20 Feb 2015, 20:44

I just don't get the fact, mean you can critisize a new Blur record and find it boring, but why in the context of Oasis, and why is it the one or the other, just because it has to be, is it mutually exclusive?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Feb 2015, 20:54

Enough about Oasis, let's go back to out expectations of the album! What are everyones thoughts on the song titles?

The last three album openers from Blur were incredible (Beetlebum, Tender, Ambulance) so I'm eager to hear Lonesome Street.

Lonesome Street
New World Towers
Go Out
Ice Cream Man
Thought I Was a Spaceman
I Broadcast
My Terracotta Heart
There Are Too Many of Us
Ghost Ship
Pyongyang
Ong Ong
Mirrorball
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Feb 2015, 21:05

I don't think I've actually clicked that this is really happening yet :D

McNormalandchips

Post by McNormalandchips » 20 Feb 2015, 21:22

Mirrorball is an Elbow song and Ice Cream Man is a blues song covered by Van Halen, so we know those already. :P

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 20 Feb 2015, 21:32

tom_cas1 wrote:Enough about Oasis, let's go back to out expectations of the album! What are everyones thoughts on the song titles?

The last three album openers from Blur were incredible (Beetlebum, Tender, Ambulance) so I'm eager to hear Lonesome Street.

Lonesome Street
New World Towers
Go Out
Ice Cream Man
Thought I Was a Spaceman
I Broadcast
My Terracotta Heart
There Are Too Many of Us
Ghost Ship
Pyongyang
Ong Ong
Mirrorball
well, New World Towers, There Are Too Many of Us and Ong Ong are pretty much about Hong Kong itself, can see the massive skyscrapers with, I don't remember who many people per square metre and restaurants everywhere. Can't recall ice cream when I was there, so no idea what this is about. My Terracotta Heart, thinking of the Terracotta army and lots of hard working Chinese people with no time for leisure