Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by JAIME » 19 Feb 2016, 20:11

AdvertBreak wrote:http://www.nme.com/news/blur/91671

Not mentioned yet?
He's very honest, I like that.
I hope they will do something next year.

rich

Post by rich » 19 Feb 2016, 20:33

TMW finally settled at #15 in NME's albums of the year 2015 http://www.nme.com/photos/nme-s-albums- ... #/photo/36

"The Magic Whip was something of a miracle. From the Britpop revivalism of 'Lonesome Street' to the icy majesty of 'Pyongyang' and the louche beach conga of 'Ong Ong', it dribbled deliciously between the fingers of Blur's iconic canon"

Er, yeah :)
Last edited by rich on 19 Feb 2016, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 19 Feb 2016, 20:33

JAIME wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:http://www.nme.com/news/blur/91671

Not mentioned yet?
He's very honest, I like that.
I hope they will do something next year.
That's the truth from Graham there - there's no plans, they don't know what the future holds any more than we do. But seeing as TMW went so well that's got to make any future projects more likely than they may have been, say, five years ago, simply because they presumably feel in a pretty good place about the band now. One day, hopefully they'll all think, let's do this again. When that will be - who knows?

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 19 Feb 2016, 21:39

I remember getting home from work at 5pm with a email about the upcoming release of a new Blur album, almost pissing myself as I read further into the email, and then the moment it informed me I could download a new Blur song right now. I remember seeing it download off ITunes in about 2 seconds and wondering what it would sound like. I instantly liked it from Damon's laid back yet commanding vocals, Graham's snarling guitar and effects pedals in overdrive and oh so sweet backing vocals to Alex's bass groove and Dave's powerful and impressive drumming. I was pleased that it had a kind of TGE experimental B-side sound, with a dose of 13 sound. I must have stopped up all night watching the announcement interview and being on this forum, thank god this forum was around otherwise I'd have exploded. A great day indeed and after that I can be patient on the Blur front as anything is possible. :)

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 21 Feb 2016, 10:10

Wow, can't believe it has been a year. I was at work,I had just put 6 music on and Out of time was playing. Then it finished and Steve Lamacq said 'that was Out of time from what we thought was Blur's last album until today's announcement.'

My stomach turned and a wave of sweat came over me with excitement. Had to find out more and and not much more got done that day work wise. When I first heard Go Out I liked it, but didn't love it, I thought Damon's vocals were lazy! However as time went on, I fell in love with the song and every time I listen to it, it still sounds so fresh;the guitar and bass are so good and in fact Damon's vocals just fit the song! I fell in love with There are too many of us instantly (even the cheap video!!) Lonesome Street disappointed me as I felt it was Blur for Blur's sake, however again now I think it is a brilliant song.

By that point I got the album, the amazing Mode gig confused things for me, I had loved Spaceman and Pyongyang from that gig, but the production of them on the album disappointed me a bit, still does a bit although I love them both.

Ps Anyone got a version of the Mode gig I could put on my Itunes????

As for the album as a whole, I would say it was worth the wait and definitely in my top 3 Blur albums, not quite as good as 13 as there are a couple of songs I don't care for (Ong Ong and I broadcast) but an amazing comeback album and one that has paved the way for future Blur albums, even Damon seems more up for doing things in the future, that album has changed his attitude to it and I don't know how long we will have to wait, but I am sure there will be another album; that said even if there isn't this is a much more suitable ending to the Blur story recording wise than Think tank would have been!

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 21 Feb 2016, 15:28

It seems more likely that a next Blur album will exist than it did two years ago, that's for sure.

rich

Post by rich » 21 Feb 2016, 15:40

Daysleeper wrote:Ps Anyone got a version of the Mode gig I could put on my Itunes????
on the downloads 2015 live recordings page viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2159
you can find this https://mega.nz/#F!UtYVhKgK!6R7VnLNzX0VGTSV0uSdtqQ

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 21 Feb 2016, 22:14

davidsutter wrote:It seems more likely that a next Blur album will exist than it did two years ago, that's for sure.
Yeah, I'm almost sure that this is not the last we hear from them.. They are on the high rise as a band, so this seems plausible. If 2016-2017 is going to be Gorillaz time for Damon, hopes are for the 2018 for the new blur record if everything will be OK
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 21 Feb 2016, 22:52

rich wrote:
Daysleeper wrote:Ps Anyone got a version of the Mode gig I could put on my Itunes????
Cheers, not sure if this is the one, but tried to put one on my iTunes and it didn't work, will give it a shot.

rich

Post by rich » 21 Feb 2016, 23:07

Daysleeper wrote:
rich wrote:
Cheers, not sure if this is the one, but tried to put one on my iTunes and it didn't work, will give it a shot.
worked for me (and most of all the other downloads on that page :) ) - add to your music library on your pc, then add files in iTunes...

rich 8-)

JackS

Post by JackS » 22 Feb 2016, 08:54

I was building flat pack furniture. Well, trying to. Sat on the floor surrounded by a half built desk, cabinet and bookshelf in an otherwise empty room.

But I had my phone on me, and then up popped an email from Blur with the subject including the words NEW ALBUM

I couldn't believe it, I had to read it over about 5 times to take it in. Rushed on to Twitter to find a link to the single, I remember the adrenaline rush as I just couldn't take it all in.

The furniture never did get built that day...

tracy_jacks

Post by tracy_jacks » 23 Feb 2016, 14:13

Feb 19th is my birthday, so you can imagine the news and the release of Go Out was the best birthday present in YEARS. :D

I was at a work meeting when WhatsApp-messages from friends started coming in. Was in meetings all day so couldn't watch the press conference live and had to wait until I got home to hear Go Out. What a fantastic day that was.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 23 Feb 2016, 15:17

I must admit, it too seeing Blur (live in October) for me to finally like Ghost Ship. Something about seeing Damon sing it only a few feet, one person, & one security guard made me love this song. :)

I can't believe it's been a year already since Go Out was released!!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Feb 2016, 21:02

I was on Facebook when I found out. It was only very shortly after the announcement, less than an hour, maybe half an hour, I dunno, but It was a Blur FB post about the new album. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I think the first thing I did was over-ecstatically post about it on FB and then come here where 10 pages of this thread had already been formed. Oh that was a great day! 8-)

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 24 Feb 2016, 21:47

I got to work and checked my facebook, and I was like "what? yeah right. It's probably a compilation or something" esp with those foreign letters on the cover. It took more investigating to see "wow....this is really happening!"

So that's two of my favorite bands dropping great albums in the last two years...and Warpaint is working on their next one for 3 in a row! :)