Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

maffed

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by maffed » 03 May 2015, 07:58

I love spaceman too but I find it difficult to listen to its first half due to that annoying buzz that's on the studio version! What's wrong with that? Weren't they able to remove it? It's impossible they didn't notice it... What do you think, guys?
Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 03 May 2015, 08:12

Spaceman probably my favourite track on the album. That and Pyongyang easily stand up to the rest of their career highlights for me, with a few others not far behind.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 08:24

maffed wrote:I love spaceman too but I find it difficult to listen to its first half due to that annoying buzz that's on the studio version! What's wrong with that? Weren't they able to remove it? It's impossible they didn't notice it... What do you think, guys?
Yeah, it's a bit annoying. Same with TATMOU. But I've kind of gotten used to it by now.
He's So High wrote:Spaceman probably my favourite track on the album. That and Pyongyang easily stand up to the rest of their career highlights for me, with a few others not far behind.
Agreed, they are the album's highlights, along with My Terracotta Heart for me.

munch

Post by munch » 03 May 2015, 08:31

maffed wrote:I love spaceman too but I find it difficult to listen to its first half due to that annoying buzz that's on the studio version! What's wrong with that? Weren't they able to remove it? It's impossible they didn't notice it... What do you think, guys?
I think they put it in deliberately at some points. Adds a broadcast feel and it's quiet enough for me to not care.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 03 May 2015, 09:11

munch wrote:
I think they put it in deliberately at some points. Adds a broadcast feel and it's quiet enough for me to not care.
Exactly, anything like that has got to be deliberate. I think Gra and Streety know what they are doing. ;) Doesn't bother me anyway. A bit like the noise in Ice Cream Man - I know some people are irritated by that but it's all a case of whether you choose to focus on it really. I just keep my attention on the rest of the arrangement and it just becomes a piece of the whole. For me at least anyway.

ildi

Post by ildi » 03 May 2015, 09:34

i prefer card cases too. more elegant. and the obi strip is a bit lame, i'm afraid will lose it some time... :?
but this record has a sort of retro design so the plastic case fits well.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 May 2015, 09:35

It reminds me a lot of that Big Star album.

ildi

Post by ildi » 03 May 2015, 09:56

went to this last night. only blur, b-sides, solo and side projects. never thought i hear people in europe outside my room. :D

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 10:19

Nice! :P

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 May 2015, 10:49

Pasta wrote:for me card cases are the way forward, how can you damage a card case anyway?
You should see my Girls & Boys CD1, and that's not even a fully card sleeve.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 03 May 2015, 11:43

AdvertBreak wrote:
Pasta wrote:for me card cases are the way forward, how can you damage a card case anyway?
You should see my Girls & Boys CD1, and that's not even a fully card sleeve.
All of the blur cd singles in card cases that I have look great, unlike the scratch covered plastic cases

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 03 May 2015, 13:49

If a jewel case gets beat up it's usually just cosmetic and you can still just grab another jewel case and fix it up yourself.
With my digipaks I have to deal with their rips and scratches or buy it again, nothing else you can do there.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 03 May 2015, 15:21

Damon said Ong Ong was the title of the song years ago from his demo, then realized later you could put H and K and make it Hong Kong, which fits where they recorded it.

daii

Post by daii » 03 May 2015, 16:10

blur interview in this french radio > http://www.franceinter.fr/emission-comi ... ciale-blur

I cut the songs and uploaded here > https://mega.co.nz/#!yxIWmZzB!1PL1Ddcdz ... wLipRc19OQ
DAMON: "Madonna is like the wicked witch, and Beyonce is like cinderella, she looks in the magic mirror on the wall and says "who is the fairest of the world?". Well, is clearly Beyonce and not you, love." :mrgreen:

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 03 May 2015, 17:53

The music at the end Pyongyang is beyond lovely, it sounds like a mix of other songs. Like the musical interludes that end the great escape and blur.
NOT for the likes of you. Image