Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip (iTunes Stream Now Live)

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2015, 23:48

Leahscarlet2 wrote:How can I add a photo to my signature?
Go to your control panel and change the signature. You need an image web address and then [img]-[/img] at either end.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 22 Apr 2015, 00:19

If most of these songs were about a minute shorter, this album would be gold.

Also, if they had waited until right now to announce the album (a la King Of Limbs), the hype wouldn't have built up as much as it did. Hype can ruin a great thing (a la Christmas Story).
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

munch

Post by munch » 22 Apr 2015, 00:28

Sledge Hammer wrote:
tender wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote: Spaceman is much better....
this !
It seems like the later we heard a studio version of the song the more it was raved about, if Go Out had been the last one everyone would have been going mad for it, but as we heard it weeks ago it kind of gets ignored now, Ping Pong is not even one of my faves on the album...the song barely even has a finish totally missing an emotional high...
Go Out is still one of my faves... And i really love Spaceman. I adore it. ... but i also love Ice cream man and Pyongyang... I'm allowed to like them all
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

munch

Post by munch » 22 Apr 2015, 00:32

dparrott wrote:Just listened to the BBC 6 interview...was hoping they played the full version of the LS demo, oh well.

And like the host said at the end: NEVER STOP BELIEVING IN THE ALBARN AND COXON!!! I never did, eternally hopeful.
I did :lol:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

rob_graves

Post by rob_graves » 22 Apr 2015, 01:09

Lammo loves D and G

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Apr 2015, 05:16

SeverHense wrote:Holy shit, TripleJay97, your sig photo! :lol:
Glad you like it :lol:

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 22 Apr 2015, 06:03

tom_cas1 wrote:
davidsutter wrote:pyongonghongkonghongkongatongyang
:lol:

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 22 Apr 2015, 06:27

dparrott wrote:...a continuation of 13 with better production, maybe. I see it as a combination of the last few albums. This would NOT have sounded this good with Orbit! TMW has just the right level of distortion. The distortion on I Broadcast is actually understated. I was expecting louder guitars on it.
I've only listened once so far, but as much as I love a lot of the songs, I'm not liking the production so far. Graham's guitars are a bit too quiet and I especislly miss them from the live versions of Thought I was a spaceman and Pyongyong.

I'm hoping I just need to get used to these versions as I would hate to think that production has diminished the impact of two fantastic songs.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 22 Apr 2015, 06:44

I Broadcast is on Spotify now. Stop tempting me, you bastards! :lol:

j_linger

Post by j_linger » 22 Apr 2015, 06:58

Had a listen through the first time yesterday. It's a great album, and just goes to show what an amazing band they are. That they can come back so long after with a contemporary, mature album that many of their peers simply wouldn't manage. However, I have one minor gripe.

It is is that I really wish they'd rehearsed as a live band before recording/working on some tracks or even re recorded some of the backing tracks live(ish). Some of the Mode arrangements, where they've had time to work out bits and pieces (NWT backing vocals and Pyongyang's reverb guitar spring to mind). Some of the tracks really 'take off' in those performances and sound a little mannered in the recordings. I guess maybe I'm hankering after some of the fuzzier, 1997-1999 esque Coxon parts, somewhat more impacting like on the live performances. But, it isn't the 1990s any more is it?! How he pulled this whole project together is amazing. He must have worked so hard with Streety to get this together. My admiration for him is now even greater than before, and in all honesty I didn't think that was possible!

Really impressed by MTH recording, it wasn't a fave from the live stream but it's simply beautiful on the recording. Ghost Ship is a great neo soul track, a real surprise but an amazing song with Coxon indulging in a bit of chicken scratch and jazz guitar! Mirrorball has also gone up in my estimation after hearing the recorded version, but I reckon I Broadcast, Spaceman and Pyongyang have a little more dynamics performed lived. Once again, minor quibble and only my two cents. All in all, there's only one band that could have pulled something like this. And that was always going to be Blur.

munch

Post by munch » 22 Apr 2015, 07:57

My Name Is Mud wrote:I Broadcast is on Spotify now. Stop tempting me, you bastards! :lol:
Not long now mud
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 22 Apr 2015, 08:06

munch wrote:
My Name Is Mud wrote:I Broadcast is on Spotify now. Stop tempting me, you bastards! :lol:
Not long now mud
Yep! Bonus disc of 13 tonight, Think Tank and its bonus disc tomorrow (as well as Hyde Park 2009 DVD tonight and Hyde Park 2012 DVD tomorrow), then finally Friday: The Magic Whip! :D

I'm definitely gonna buy an ice cream immediately after picking up the record. 8-)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Apr 2015, 08:10

My Name Is Mud wrote:I'm definitely gonna buy an ice cream immediately after picking up the record. 8-)
That's my plan. I'm thinking Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough.

devoiced

Post by devoiced » 22 Apr 2015, 08:14

I just realized that the vinyl will arrive on Friday and then sit at home till Tuesday because I'm working in Berlin this weekend. Torture is what that is! Can't bring my record player and amp onto the bus I think :D
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

munch

Post by munch » 22 Apr 2015, 08:32

I really hope my shops have it Friday. I've contacted them and they both seemed hesitant :/
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man