Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sean

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by Sean » 20 Apr 2015, 09:55

I think Blur could really plough a furrow doing more of that Ghost Ship style groove thing. Love it.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 20 Apr 2015, 09:55

Really, at this pace we'll be having Pyongyang before noon.. .SO EXCITED!! :mrgreen:

Ghost Ship is like the lost cousin of Supa Shoppa 8-) It makes you crave summer!

oilywater

Post by oilywater » 20 Apr 2015, 10:02

TripleJay97 wrote:
oilywater wrote:oh wow! its wonderful. perfect lazy summer song. fuck i want to listen to it again.
You can:
https://soundcloud.com/helen-petukhova/ ... -radio-rip

I think I'm in love with Helen Petukhova.

me too. :-D

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 Apr 2015, 10:09

No time to listen now to radio or the links but loving the comments everyone. So excited to hear the album proper. :D

sebastianZeal

Post by sebastianZeal » 20 Apr 2015, 10:15

Fuck it, I have to be in the office and can't listen right now. Can anyone describe Ice Cream Man a bit? It was my fave from the Mode club. Does it sound very different now? I remember its first part to be very catchy with damon singing and the second part a bit groove/guitar based with Grahams "something new". Is it totally different now? And what is that noise you're all talking about? Comparable to the effect the background sounds have to Strange News From Another Star or more sort of like the constant background noise in I Broadcast?

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 20 Apr 2015, 10:20

sebastianZeal wrote:Fuck it, I have to be in the office and can't listen right now. Can anyone describe Ice Cream Man a bit? It was my fave from the Mode club. Does it sound very different now? I remember its first part to be very catchy with damon singing and the second part a bit groove/guitar based with Grahams "something new". Is it totally different now? And what is that noise you're all talking about? Comparable to the effect the background sounds have to Strange News From Another Star or more sort of like the constant background noise in I Broadcast?
More like I Broadcast. There are similar 8 bit-esque effects added to both songs. Apart from that, the song is quite similar to the live version, so if you loved it in MODE you'll still love the studio version, I think! Did you like I Broadcast?

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 20 Apr 2015, 10:21

sebastianZeal wrote:Fuck it, I have to be in the office and can't listen right now. Can anyone describe Ice Cream Man a bit?
Sorry, I would, but it's the only one i've missed so far...hope somone else can help you.
At 12.30 i'd have to leave for 1.30h lunch break. I'm meditating to skip my lunch break today.... :roll:

sebastianZeal

Post by sebastianZeal » 20 Apr 2015, 10:24

Jensen wrote:
sebastianZeal wrote:Fuck it, I have to be in the office and can't listen right now. Can anyone describe Ice Cream Man a bit? It was my fave from the Mode club. Does it sound very different now? I remember its first part to be very catchy with damon singing and the second part a bit groove/guitar based with Grahams "something new". Is it totally different now? And what is that noise you're all talking about? Comparable to the effect the background sounds have to Strange News From Another Star or more sort of like the constant background noise in I Broadcast?
More like I Broadcast. There are similar 8 bit-esque effects added to both songs. Apart from that, the song is quite similar to the live version, so if you loved it in MODE you'll still love the studio version, I think! Did you like I Broadcast?
Thanks!! Yes, it took a few listens but now I love the album version of I Broadcast.
Oh my, I am so looking forward to the album.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 20 Apr 2015, 10:44

So they just played Songhoy Blues (loved them in Jools!) and I thought we would get another Blur track next, but I was wrong :(

I'm so anxious right now! This reminds me of the nineties, when I had to be sticking to my radio-casette for hours, waiting for the moment they played my favourite singles to record them and create my treasured mixtapes :P There was no other way back then!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Apr 2015, 10:45

I need my Pyongyangggggg

devoiced

Post by devoiced » 20 Apr 2015, 10:46

ghost ship! :D
dat rhythm section tho! 8-)
good to see dave&alex getting a moment to shine!
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 20 Apr 2015, 10:58

I'm one of those people waiting for a complete stream/leak but love these comments so far! Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Apr 2015, 10:59

He's So High wrote:I'm one of those people waiting for a complete stream/leak but love these comments so far! Tomorrow can't come soon enough.
That's what I was going to do, but I've ended up ill in bed with nothing to do. We're not getting any tracks for a while now, because there's going to be a live session with some folkie.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 20 Apr 2015, 10:59

TripleJay97 wrote:I need my Pyongyangggggg
Same here!!

I'm so terrified to leave the computer and GO OUT that they'll choose that exact moment to play it :?

Jakob

Post by Jakob » 20 Apr 2015, 11:02

ghost ship gives me the willies, it's so perfect :)

Love the blip blops of ice cream man...

Gotta say i didn't expect this "tacky" production on the album, when we heard go out and lonesome street, but it's pretty fitting with Hong Kong (and the cover art). I'm not too sure about I Broadcast, where i thought the jools holland version was soo rocking, and actually on of their better fast paced songs, but have also only listened to the itunes preview, so it's probably gonna sit better with the album as a whole.

NWT is really good as well, but it's a bit hard to say just how good, because it was my favourite from the mode gig, so my ears just have to adjust to it right now.