Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

bugman

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by bugman » 12 Mar 2015, 13:41

what do u think, when we get first review of new album ?will be in april ,of the most popular music magazines ?Q, Rolling Stone, Mojo?

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 12 Mar 2015, 13:59

My Name Is Mud wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:We're Out There Somewhere, off the Riot Club. It's a really solid track, and there isn't a high quality version of it online. You can't download it without downloading the whole fucking soundtrack either :evil:
Arse. :(
I know, it's a real shame. I highly recommend checking the song out on YouTube. It sounds a bit like Clover Over Dover meets Don't Believe Anything I Say.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 12 Mar 2015, 20:11

what is it? i don't want to have to make an instagram account...
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 12 Mar 2015, 22:18

metalhipslop wrote:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Mar 2015, 02:11

Who is that? I'll take her/his comments with a pinch of salt, I know I'll love the album after the first listen!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 13 Mar 2015, 06:27

Although that person seems very under-whelmed by the album, the one thing I'm pleased about is their vibe that it isn't an instantly loveable album. Very few of the best albums are instant; they reveal themselves more as you listen to them, best example being 13.

I'm hoping the album is quite dark.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 13 Mar 2015, 08:58

Daysleeper wrote:Although that person seems very under-whelmed by the album, the one thing I'm pleased about is their vibe that it isn't an instantly loveable album. Very few of the best albums are instant; they reveal themselves more as you listen to them, best example being 13.

I agree with this entirely, most of my favourite albums weren't ones I liked particularly on release. Only issue with this is that most people don't listen to music in the same way and spend time getting to know an album, which might well see it bomb.

The most important thing though is they have put out something they are pleased with and that will convince me to spend time with it, if Supergrass for example reformed and released a "difficult" album, I'm pretty sure I would listen to it once or twice then have it fall off my register completely if no obvious singles

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Mar 2015, 13:18

dougharrison wrote:
Daysleeper wrote:Although that person seems very under-whelmed by the album, the one thing I'm pleased about is their vibe that it isn't an instantly loveable album. Very few of the best albums are instant; they reveal themselves more as you listen to them, best example being 13.

I agree with this entirely, most of my favourite albums weren't ones I liked particularly on release. Only issue with this is that most people don't listen to music in the same way and spend time getting to know an album, which might well see it bomb.

The most important thing though is they have put out something they are pleased with and that will convince me to spend time with it, if Supergrass for example reformed and released a "difficult" album, I'm pretty sure I would listen to it once or twice then have it fall off my register completely if no obvious singles
'Difficult' new Supergrass album? Yes please. :D

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 13 Mar 2015, 19:58

Yeah like most of you guys I wouldn't be too upset if the album took a few goes to get into.

I think that if I were being realistic about how good the album's going to be, I don't think it'll be up there with their best albums (MLIR, 13, and Blur for me) but I think it'll be better than Leisure and The Great Escape.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Mar 2015, 20:14

He's So High wrote:Yeah like most of you guys I wouldn't be too upset if the album took a few goes to get into.

I think that if I were being realistic about how good the album's going to be, I don't think it'll be up there with their best albums (MLIR, 13, and Blur for me) but I think it'll be better than Leisure and The Great Escape.

Agree on the first half of your sentence, not sure I'd lump TGE in there...I'd put it in between their best and worst. I personally love it but I realize a lot of folks don't, though I wonder how much of that is from the revisionist history of NME and MM after they spent the first year of the albums life lauding it as a masterpiece.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 13 Mar 2015, 22:35

He's So High wrote:Yeah like most of you guys I wouldn't be too upset if the album took a few goes to get into.
Heck, it took me years to get into 13. Initially I found it very 'meh', now I love it. :D

munch

Post by munch » 14 Mar 2015, 07:00

TripleJay97 wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:
haha what a review
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 14 Mar 2015, 07:22

I love reviews that tell us nothing at all :) The point it does make about not loving it straight away is not a worry at all as I find most of Blur's music is multi layered and the fact hearing 'Get Out' still puts a smile on my face doesn't worry me at all, and 13 took years for me to love it too :)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 14 Mar 2015, 07:35

northernmonkey wrote:I love reviews that tell us nothing at all :) The point it does make about not loving it straight away is not a worry at all as I find most of Blur's music is multi layered and the fact hearing 'Get Out' still puts a smile on my face doesn't worry me at all, and 13 took years for me to love it too :)
:lol: