Fool's Day/Under The Westway/The Puritan

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Favourite "new" Blur song?

Fool's Day
56%
Under The Westway
33%
The Puritan
10%

Total votes: 39

tom_cas1

Fool's Day/Under The Westway/The Puritan

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Feb 2015, 04:48

What's your favourite and why? Fool's Day? Under The Westway? The Puritan?

For me, Fool's Day seems to sound better and better as the years go on. 5 years since it was released and it still sounds awesome. I wasn't sure what to make of it when it first came out but it's certainly my favourite of the three now, I love it. Under The Westway and The Puritan haven't stood the test of time. That's my opinion anyway. I was never a fan of The Puritan (I still think it's awful!) but I loved Under The Westway when it came out. Now? Not as much.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

bugman

Re: Fool's Day/Under The Westway/The Puritan

Post by bugman » 13 Feb 2015, 10:23

1. fool's day
2. under
3. puritan

fool's day and under can be on the record, but puritan not. better on b-side

stephen

Post by stephen » 13 Feb 2015, 10:45

Fool's day sounds like a record, I don't know what under the west way is.

I quite like The Puritan, it fits blur quite well. (Maybe because it's an old song)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Feb 2015, 13:57

1. Fool's Day

a very distant 2. Under the Westway

not even in the same galaxy 3. The Puritan

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Liese

Post by Liese » 13 Feb 2015, 16:21

Voted for Fool's Day, but I must say I do like the Puritan - energy-wise it is a very blur'esque song imho.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 13 Feb 2015, 17:20

Fool's Day, I've been listening to it quite often.

The Puritan is underrated though.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 13 Feb 2015, 18:41

I don't like the studio versions of these songs.

But Under the Westway live in gigs was fantastic. So my vote goes to UTW.

bugman

Post by bugman » 13 Feb 2015, 19:45

really don't know, why they didn't play fools day live. big shame!

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 13 Feb 2015, 23:40

I love Fools day and Under the Westway, the latter probably edges it for me. The Puritan not so much although I though it had great potential when I heard Damon play it accoustically, think they went the wrong way with it.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 14 Feb 2015, 02:17

Fool's Day has that really good Graham guitar noise.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Feb 2015, 18:00

I love Fool's Day and The Puritan. Under The Westway is pretty, and I enjoy it, but not like the other two. Fool's Day is great and shows that Blur still can make great music. I love Damon's lyrics and Graham's guitar. The Puritan, I think, is best live. I love when they rock out toward the end of the song live, and just have a jam sesh filled with all of the la la la's. Has a great energy to it. But I believe all three of these songs show Blur still have massive potential for making new music with each other. The only real complaint I have about UTW and The Puritan is I see them more as leftover Damon songs he'd written before. I wish Graham, Alex, and Dave would contribute more to it all.

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 14 Feb 2015, 19:31

I don't like polls

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 15 Feb 2015, 07:57

Fool's Day, easily. It got me really excited.
I quite like The Puritan. Under The Westway's my least favourite, bit boring in fact.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 16 Feb 2015, 16:02

This is a tough one. I know Fool's Day is the best song, and it was a wonderful turn of direction (when I say turn, it's probably not much of a turn actually, but a really nice mixture of all the varying styles and techniques that Blur undertook over the years) that would have been brilliant replicated on an album; but The Puritan gets me the most for some reason. It has a ridiculous bounce to it - all the parts are playing against each other so to speak, yet I still love listening to it. It's like Song 2 meets Mr. Robinson's Quango (which reads ridiculously as it sounds). The instant bursts of white noise that Graham provides are brilliant. Under The Westway is a good song, but there's a better song lying within - they constrained themselves trying to write a 'hymn'. Whilst the "Magic Arrows" section pulls at my heartstrings, it still misses a lift in intensity from the rhythm section that could have put the song on a pedestal with classics like This Is A Low and He Thought of Cars. Instead it holds stead like a modern Best Days, a lovely listen, but something that possibly had so much more potential.

1. The Puritan
2. Fool's Day
3. Under The Westway

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 16 Feb 2015, 20:37

UnderThePuritan wrote:This is a tough one. I know Fool's Day is the best song, and it was a wonderful turn of direction (when I say turn, it's probably not much of a turn actually, but a really nice mixture of all the varying styles and techniques that Blur undertook over the years) that would have been brilliant replicated on an album; but The Puritan gets me the most for some reason. It has a ridiculous bounce to it - all the parts are playing against each other so to speak, yet I still love listening to it. It's like Song 2 meets Mr. Robinson's Quango (which reads ridiculously as it sounds). The instant bursts of white noise that Graham provides are brilliant. Under The Westway is a good song, but there's a better song lying within - they constrained themselves trying to write a 'hymn'. Whilst the "Magic Arrows" section pulls at my heartstrings, it still misses a lift in intensity from the rhythm section that could have put the song on a pedestal with classics like This Is A Low and He Thought of Cars. Instead it holds stead like a modern Best Days, a lovely listen, but something that possibly had so much more potential.

1. The Puritan
2. Fool's Day
3. Under The Westway
It was close for me too between Fool's Day and The Puritan. The Puritan isn't the runt of the litter to me at all. It's the song I would be most likely to put on these days. I love the energy and it's the only thing they've done in their return period that reflects that old Blur punky feel. Under The Westway aims for epic grandeur but ends up sounding a bit glacial and dull. It had potential, but the 'hymnal' slant they chose was a mistake in my opinion.