"BLUR" Album turns 18 years

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

bugman

Re: "BLUR" Album turns 18 years

Post by bugman » 11 Feb 2015, 11:33

JordanPowers wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:'On Your Own' was reminiscent of David Essex or Cockney Rebel. An overlooked single.
Damon said before that he thought it was pretty much the first Gorillaz song.
i can agree with it. it has a little bit sound like gorillaz.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 11 Feb 2015, 13:43

TripleJay97 wrote:I turn 18 in a couple months! This album is basically my childhood, my mother was obsessed and I grew to be!

Songs like Country Sad Ballad Man and Strange News From Another Star revealed Damon's depth as a songwriter, but On Your Own and Song 2 showed that he could still write catchy pop hooks as well. It's a great critic-pleaser.
Not helping to not make me feel old, Jay...

:P

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 11 Feb 2015, 14:12

Whoops! :shock:

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 11 Feb 2015, 17:37

;)

No worries! Was only joking anyway, hah!

maffed

Post by maffed » 11 Feb 2015, 18:58

What an album!! I love it, especially Graham's guitar work! One of my favourite rock albums of all time: great melodies, great arrangements, such a pulsing and yet melancholy record!
They should have played a bit more, since the 2008 Reunion, in my opinion...
Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 11 Feb 2015, 19:23

MrMagpie wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:I turn 18 in a couple months! This album is basically my childhood, my mother was obsessed and I grew to be!

Songs like Country Sad Ballad Man and Strange News From Another Star revealed Damon's depth as a songwriter, but On Your Own and Song 2 showed that he could still write catchy pop hooks as well. It's a great critic-pleaser.

no complains here please, the Phd students in the lab could my children.. and we regularly get wasted together, only thing, hangovers get worse with age

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 11 Feb 2015, 21:58

^haha, you're right about that! The body doesn't bounce back as fast as it did when you're young, that's for sure. I now work with people closer to my parents age so it's not too bad, but at my previous job me and my manager (who is a year older than me) were the "old guys" in our group...we were 10 years older than everyone else and they didn't get a single reference to anything pre-2004 that we made...it was crazy!

thespider

Post by thespider » 12 Feb 2015, 17:02

I bought it from Our Price the first day it was released. I was fifteen.

Between the release of The Great Escape and the self titled my music taste changed a lot (started listening to heavy metal and Nirvana) so when I first heard Song 2, M.O.R., Death of a Party and Chinese Bombs I can vividly remember thinking "YES! Blur have gone noisy!!". :D

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 12 Feb 2015, 20:33

Liese wrote:I remember getting this after school when it came out, being 13 years old at the time... Musically, this was the album that turned me from a teenager into a mature music lover, even tough it took me a few days to have it grow on me. 18 years, crikey...
thespider wrote:I bought it from Our Price the first day it was released. I was fifteen.

Between the release of The Great Escape and the self titled my music taste changed a lot (started listening to heavy metal and Nirvana) so when I first heard Song 2, M.O.R., Death of a Party and Chinese Bombs I can vividly remember thinking "YES! Blur have gone noisy!!". :D
Same except I was 14. Took me a lot to get used to this new raw sound and it was a pure love/hate album for me (I think it still is!).

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 12 Feb 2015, 23:12

I remember buying this from my local Our Price too, such a move away from previous stuff they had done and on my first couple of listens it felt like Blur had made a big mistake despite loving Beetlebum. I remember listening to track 2 (Song 2) and thinking what the hell are they doing filling the album with weak b-side album fillers... I would never have guessed it would be there biggest hit. And there are moments of sheer brilliance like country sad, death of a party and the beauty of strange news. Like much of Blur's work I don't think it has aged one bit if anything it sounds more relevant today.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 13 Feb 2015, 23:35

I've got a strange relationship with this album, I look at the track listing and I love a lot of it, but whenever I listen to it I never really overly enjoy it and it leaves me feelings kind of cold.

thespider

Post by thespider » 13 Feb 2015, 23:41

Just thinking about this makes me realise how ridiculously expensive CDs were in the mid/late 90s.

Most single disc CD albums retailed for about £13, with some costing as much as £16. And when I bought "The Wall" on double CD it cost £23!

Last month I bought
two Prince albums (Plectrum Electrum and Art Official Age),
the Best of the Lightning Seeds,
and
"Forever Changes" by Love

for a grand total of £20.

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 14 Feb 2015, 00:10

buying LPs in the 80ies meant spending 19 DM for one, half of a month pocket money gone, getting them onto tape wasn't cheap either if you wanted a decent quality tape for 2 x45minutes, which was enough for 2 records unless to had a "stupid" prog rock record which was usually too long and you had no chance to get several songs of epic length on it without fading out and starting on the other side, mean you can't record them in the wrong order, never

Liese

Post by Liese » 15 Feb 2015, 15:48

Veikko wrote:... and it was a pure love/hate album for me (I think it still is!).
I totally agree with that.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Feb 2015, 08:20

MrMagpie wrote:

You have nothing to worry about Mr Magpie - when I turned 18, Blur's chart debut was still three years away.... :o

thespider wrote:Just thinking about this makes me realise how ridiculously expensive CDs were in the mid/late 90s.

Most single disc CD albums retailed for about £13, with some costing as much as £16. And when I bought "The Wall" on double CD it cost £23!
You are not wrong :roll: Music purchases had to be strictly budgeted for in those years. I recall visiting North America, and as well as buying music that was not available in the UK, I bought other music purely because it was much cheaper than in the UK.

In one case, I bought No Doubt's 'Tragic Kingdom' at an HMV in Canada. Upon return to the UK there was some problem with the disc. I took it to my local HMV who would exchange it but the UK price for the No Doubt album was much higher. I could either pay the difference or take a different album at the equivalent price. IIRC I did the latter and took The Seahorses album.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."