general blur thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

thespider

Re: general blur thread

Post by thespider » 14 Aug 2015, 08:21

So would anyone like to guess what massive event in Blur's history kicked off, literarlly 20 years ago to the day?

I'll give you a subtle clue:

I have mixed but mainly positively nostalgic feelings about the whole thing. Going into Our Price, 14 years old with my pocket money and buying both releases.

Now please excuse me whilst I suffer a fatal overdose of FEELING INCREDIBLY FUCKING OLD :lol:
Last edited by thespider on 14 Aug 2015, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 14 Aug 2015, 09:02

I wasn't born until two years later, so I don't have much to say about it :lol:

I do think Country House gets too much flack though. It's a really good song! It's catchy, funny, great to sing along to and is up their with Blur's great pop songs. Being linked with that whole Battle of Britpop thing really gave this some backlash.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 14 Aug 2015, 09:17

I will be born in a matter of months :lol: And in a place where I guess a lot less people cared about that event at the time.

I enjoyed "Country House" for the first months after my blur discovery, but since then I haven't listened to it much. And Roll With It... nah, I just don't like Oasis, so I will not write about it.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Aug 2015, 09:42

thespider wrote:So would anyone like to guess what massive event in Blur's history kicked off, literarlly 20 years ago to the day?

I have mixed but mainly nostalfic feelings about the whole thing. Going into Our Price, 14 years old with my pocket money and buying both releases.

Now please excuse me whilst I suffer a fatal overdose of FEELING INCREDIBLY FUCKING OLD :lol:
Ahh, Blur vs Oasis. I remember it well... Bought it in Weston-super-Mare. The shop was variously Goody / Tower Records at different points. Think it was Goody at the time. CH was playing in the there when I went in. :D

I too am now feeling a bit old. :lol:

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 14 Aug 2015, 10:58

I remember those times too with a bit of melancholy..lol..the 90s was a good time to be a teenager..time flies

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 14 Aug 2015, 13:32

Maybe this question was asked before, but this one is for people who actually listened to blur as they were making records in the 90's. What was your reaction to the self-titled record when it came out? I mean, this was quite a big shift in both sound and lyrics, and this might have changed the opinion about the band, maybe?
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 14 Aug 2015, 13:45

Not for me, i remember the morning Beetlebum came as the first single. I was watching the typical music tv show, and they putted the Beetlebum video, i was shocked and thought: man thats the most awesome blur song i´ve ever heard. My reaction was going next morning to a record store to buy the album. And i remember as a teen listening the record over and over and over. Love it a lot. And still today is my fav Blur record. I was 15 when that record came out.

thespider

Post by thespider » 14 Aug 2015, 14:10

Consigliere_11 wrote:Maybe this question was asked before, but this one is for people who actually listened to blur as they were making records in the 90's. What was your reaction to the self-titled record when it came out? I mean, this was quite a big shift in both sound and lyrics, and this might have changed the opinion about the band, maybe?
Good question. I knew it was gonna be different cos so many reviews and Blur articles had said so. When I finally heard it, it was a huge relief. Britpop was dying on its arse and the only thing they could do to survive was to fuck the movement off completely.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Aug 2015, 14:29

Yep I remember it well bought both at hmv Oxford. Can't believe it's 20 years! great times the 90s what I can remember. Looking at some social media on FB there some idiots that still hold a 20 year grudge.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 14 Aug 2015, 14:43

since we're talking about Country House, I may as well throw out there that I actually like the video
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Aug 2015, 15:28

Blur vs Oasis...1995 what a year!
It was all Damon's fault moving the release date back for Country House back! Great publicity both bands got though.

I saw blur from their MLIR period right through to 13. The music was great and so was the performances as I saw blur and oasis that year as well as Pulp. I was more shocked with the fans at Wembley 1995. Sceamy pop girls with teddy bears, take that tshirts wearing fans etc! Maybe I was trying to be this indie chin rubbing music snob and thought this was getting too big for my liking and they need to deflate the blur balloon as I wanted them to be like The Smiths not Take That!

But when 1997 arrived I was so relieved with the record they put out and they were moving on (excuse the pun) to make to great records and thinking about music more than chart releases or rivalries.

Somebody once said blur won the battle that day and Oasis won the war that year. But no for Me after 1995 it was blur who won the "war" and left Oasis to go down the "Dad Rock" route. I always thought Oasis went down hill after the fantastic some might say single and that Tony McCarroll was sacked.

Great times....I think I'll play The Great Escape and What's the Story back to back this evening and remember those great days.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Aug 2015, 16:44

Blur timed it perfectly with S/T.

Like others have said, it was on record that it was going to be a new direction so I was intrigued. But fell massively in love when I first heard Beetlebum. I mean, how could you not? What a fantastic song. I just took the shift in my stride really - my musical tastes were maturing I think and moved in step with the band. I think your tastes are more fluid when you're young. Then you get all grumpy and set in your ways and 'know what you like'. :lol:

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 14 Aug 2015, 18:46

thespider wrote:So would anyone like to guess what massive event in Blur's history kicked off, literarlly 20 years ago to the day?

I have mixed but mainly positively nostalgic feelings about the whole thing. Going into Our Price, 14 years old with my pocket money and buying both releases.

I was 18 years old at that time, I still don't like Country House (i neved did). Think that Roll with it was clearly better, but the cover art is beautiful.

Regarding the B-sides, I enjoy listening to One Born Every Minute, La Comedie (I love it!), and a couple of live versions from Mile End.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Aug 2015, 19:08

I don't mind Country House, but it's obviously far from their best. It's such a cliche these days though. I happen to think Roll With It was poor by Oasis' standards too. So the irony is the iconic 90s chart battle, between the two great bands of the era, was fought out with two vaguely substandard songs.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Aug 2015, 19:47

Had a nostalgic moment and watched the country house video on YouTube ! Loved the comment of Damon singing sounding like the monkey for the coco pops adverts! Touché :D
Last edited by Mark72 on 14 Aug 2015, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.