general blur thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Leahscarlet2

Re: general blur thread

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 11 Jul 2015, 07:18

Does anyone know if Mile End was filmed? I know the audio was recorded but was wondering if it was filmed as I've seen a very short clip from it?
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jul 2015, 07:29

Good question. I can't remember. But I think it will have been.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 13 Jul 2015, 08:31

Blur and 13 sound absolutely nothing like Pavement, not even remotely. It was probably an tongue in cheek comment from Malkmus, he does that.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 13 Jul 2015, 16:09

Indiana wrote:Blur and 13 sound absolutely nothing like Pavement, not even remotely. It was probably an tongue in cheek comment from Malkmus, he does that.
True. I think it's just that he has the subtlety of Tim Heidecker, so it flies over a lot of people's heads.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 14 Jul 2015, 00:18

Song 2 is very Pavement... The lyrics and "woo-hoo" have a big Pavement feel, i think.
Tender kind of sounds like Here by Pavement
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 14 Jul 2015, 10:58

metalhipslop wrote:Song 2 is very Pavement... The lyrics and "woo-hoo" have a big Pavement feel, i think.
Tender kind of sounds like Here by Pavement
Mmmm, I still don't see it... at all.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 14 Jul 2015, 11:45

Tender and Here share the first two chords and that's it. Here is a lo-fi rock ballad while Tender is closer to gospel and pop, they have nothing in common. Song 2 is too polished to be Pavement's.

The only Blur song that can be considered a Pavement rip-off is Swallows In The Heatwave.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 14 Jul 2015, 11:51

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Tender and Here share the first two chords and that's it. Here is a lo-fi rock ballad while Tender is closer to gospel and pop, they have nothing in common. Song 2 is too polished to be Pavement's.

The only Blur song that can be considered a Pavement rip-off is Swallows In The Heatwave.
This.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 14 Jul 2015, 18:49

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Tender and Here share the first two chords and that's it. Here is a lo-fi rock ballad while Tender is closer to gospel and pop, they have nothing in common. Song 2 is too polished to be Pavement's.

I said the lyrics in Song 2 have a Pavement feel, another one is On Your Own. How can anybody deny this? I'm not saying RIP OFF, they just have a big Pavement feel! And why shouldn't they? That was a time when Damon song writing style shift and Pavement and Beck inspired Damon. It's when Damon changed into writing more loose, lo fi (and there is another word but I can't figure it out) type songs that even in Gorillaz especially The Fall.

I said Tender kind of sounds like Here. "Tender and Here share the first two chords and that's it, but they have nothing in common." See you said it then you denied it. It's kind of like Mother Sky by Can and Popscene but instead of the drums it's the guitar chords.

I'm not saying Blur ripped off Pavement. There are certain parts on S/t and 13 that are clearly inspired by Pavement (the exclude thing was done by Pavement on their first album for one song, I just wonder if that's where Blur got that idea on 13) I just don't understand the denial of that and if there is as much as a little bit of aping of Pavement going on it's suddenly a rip off. So let's pretend it didn't happen because that would mean Stephen Malkmus was right when he said Blur ripped off Pavement.

hey look, Mark E Smith accused Pavement of ripping off The Fall
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 14 Jul 2015, 19:05

Chill, man :lol: I didn't say Pavement wasn't an influence, of course it was, specially in the s/t, I just pointed out that there's a big difference between being influenced by a band and ripping them off, but I didn't even mention you claiming that Blur had ripped off Pavement. And still I don't agree with Song 2's lyrics being similar to Pavement's, but then again, I see your point. However, lo-fi is rather concerned with how the songs are recorded rather than with their structures as such, that's why I said that Blur weren't really that similar to Pavement, cause even the selftitled is way more polished and clean/professional than any Pavement record. I'd say the only song that has a truly Pavement feel in the s/t album is Country Sad Ballad Man. Oh, and You're So Great I guess, although I'd say it's rather Guided By Voices than Pavement.

Re: Tender sharing two chords with Here, that doesn't mean a thing imo. There are uncountable songs that start with A and E chords and it's not like it's deliberate or something.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 15 Jul 2015, 21:16

Alex in the studio and three Blur songs played on Radio 2 on one show! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0612r7q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Jul 2015, 06:32

:) I caught some of it. Fair enough, a Blur man is on a peak-time radio show. Low-profile indie can become long-lived, and reach out to the masses.

But it struck me (as it has often in recent times) how Alex is now very 'lifestyle' and fits in with Radio 2s way of thinking.

If it was Gary Barlow who was being interviewed, we would be saying how mainstream and naff it was, if we were listening at all....

:roll: :P
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Wippet

Post by Wippet » 16 Jul 2015, 10:24

Sledge Hammer wrote:Alex in the studio and three Blur songs played on Radio 2 on one show! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0612r7q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My girlfriend saw Alex James in Hix bar last night with his family, must have gone there straight after his promo.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jul 2015, 07:35

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/damo ... aign=damon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fucking awful list.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 19 Jul 2015, 19:53

TripleJay97 wrote:http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/damo ... aign=damon

Fucking awful list.
Why do you think it's so bad? Personally I would have Plastic Beach a bit higher but I don't think it's that bad.