GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Macducci

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4?

Post by Macducci » 26 May 2015, 02:39

Plastic Beach has not had a hit single like Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc or DARE and the tour was very expensive, their label didn't want to release Rhinestone Eyes single and video and they recorded/released the more pop Doncamatic instead. And they released The Fall too, probaly their label rejected the chance of another release. I really want to hear full version of this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_PfblBLpE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :(

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 26 May 2015, 05:08

Sea-Sides is a way better name :lol:

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 26 May 2015, 06:55

Ha ha Sea Sides is genius.

Melon_Collie

Post by Melon_Collie » 26 May 2015, 17:03

Loving all the art so far... if Damon is currently working on the record then hopefully we'll start to hear about some of the guests relatively soon. As far as I know, the only people we know Damon has talked to would be De La Soul at this point.

If I recall, De La also were the ones who let it slip that the last album was going to be called Plastic Beach in an interview. Still holding out for that David Byrne feature!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 26 May 2015, 20:00

Mark Hollis (Talk Talk) comes out of retirement to work with Damon on this would be the only thing to ever get me excited about this new album...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 26 May 2015, 22:12

BEYOND fucking excited for a new Gorillaz album. Glad I'll have all of you guys here to talk about it with! It seems like so many Gorillaz fans (on reddit, tumblr, etc.) are fucking ignorant. I figure news will really start building by the end of the year, once wonder.land is almost over (only Paris for wonder.land next year, right?) and The Magic Whip tour has ended. If we get a new Gorillaz, Vampire Weekend, and Graham album next year, I think I might just die! :D

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 29 May 2015, 17:56

I hope Damon produces the album by himself like Plastic Beach
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 29 May 2015, 18:45

metalhipslop wrote:I hope Damon produces the album by himself like Plastic Beach
Seconded! It all sounded very crisp, he did a great job. Wouldn't mind if he enlisted James Murphy though. ;)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 May 2015, 19:03

Sushi wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:I hope Damon produces the album by himself like Plastic Beach
Seconded! It all sounded very crisp, he did a great job. Wouldn't mind if he enlisted James Murphy though. ;)
Don't agree. I prefer Damon being produced. Remember interviews recently where Damon and Graham were saying how D tends to default into melancholia and likes creating things but not so much the graft to finish things? That's where a producer comes in. Just not Dangermouse or Richard Russell - someone who'll stand up to him.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 29 May 2015, 19:59

to me Plastic Beach is a perfect album. I say all 3 gorillaz albums are the best and perfect but if I had to choose one it would be Plastic Beach. Dr Dee and Monkey were also good albums that didn't need a producer. The reason why he didn't go with a producer on Plastic Beach is because on the first 2 albums he produced himself anyway and the role of DangerMouse and Dan The Automater were exaggerated. Especially Dan. (watch Bananaz)

Maybe a producer would make Gorillaz another big hits like Feel Good and Clint Eastwood, but that doesn't matter to me.

But yeah, I have a feeling he will go with a producer this time because of what he said during interviews about needing a producer recently

A producer wouldn't hurt, but what damon achieved on Plastic Beach shows he doesn't need a producer - he is the "mastermind" of Gorillaz
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 29 May 2015, 21:05

101reykjavik wrote:
Sushi wrote:
Don't agree. I prefer Damon being produced. Remember interviews recently where Damon and Graham were saying how D tends to default into melancholia and likes creating things but not so much the graft to finish things? That's where a producer comes in. Just not Dangermouse or Richard Russell - someone who'll stand up to him.
I remember reading that, but Damon proved mostly that he had it in him to churn out some really good songs on his own. To Binge, Broken, and Pirate Jet were really the only tracks on there that could have benefited from a second set of ears. But that being said, I suppose the album as a whole lacked direction (which made it kind of fun in a way) and I'm sure that a really strong producer would get the best product. I actually find myself listening to some of Damon's material and thinking "ah! this should have happened instead" or "why did he sing it that way?". Wish I could produce. :mrgreen:

Still though, Plastic Beach sonically was crisp and glorious, a HUGE improvement over whatever was going on in Demon Days' sound. Better songs though. *ramble ramble*

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 29 May 2015, 21:44

Nah, I preferred Danger Mouse's production to Damon's, even if he did mess up GBQ. It just sounds far more original and perfect.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 29 May 2015, 22:59

I do like the production in Plastic Beach, it's very hermetic and compressed to favour the concept of the album I guess, fits quite well with its mood. However, Demon Days is untouchable in that aspect. Whoever is going to produce the album, I just hope the songs don't come up as half-baked as they did on Everyday Robots.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 May 2015, 23:44

Yeah I don't want Damon anywhere near production duties for the next Gorillaz album. Plastic Beach sounded crap compared to Demon Days.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

munch

Post by munch » 30 May 2015, 08:19

TripleJay97 wrote:Nah, I preferred Danger Mouse's production to Damon's, even if he did mess up GBQ. It just sounds far more original and perfect.
agree.

I think the album needs a fresh producer face though
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man